+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Blood Clots @ 8 weeks and 5 days  (Read 24885 times)

lgbran

Blood Clots @ 8 weeks and 5 days
« on: January 10, 2014, 05:16:54 AM »
Having a bit of R@R here. Following a visit to my local GP as my lower right leg was red,swollen and ached on and off over the past 3 days following the Ultrasound received a phone call from my GP to report to ER as 2 clots were found 1 in the lower right leg and a large 1 in my upper right thigh.
Despite being in the best shape prior to surgery and following all the post surgery protocol this has me stumped. 24 hours ago I was in absolute heaven having hydrotheraphty in the pool. I to have 2 jabs a day and prescribed warfarin to ease the problem and will be in hospital for a couple of days.
A dip in my recovery but my hip feels marvelous,
Cheers and will keep you posted :)
RBHR 11/11/13 by Stephen McMahon @
The Avenue Hospital Melbourne Australia

chuckm

Re: Blood Clots @ 8 weeks and 5 days
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2014, 10:53:43 AM »
Good call Len to get to the local GP for the swelling. Did your surgeon have you on daily low-dose aspirin? My surgeon had prescribed six weeks but had me stop after three weeks when he saw me at first follow up.

Chuckm
Left BHR 11/30/12
Hospital for Special Surgery
46 years old

lgbran

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2014, 05:02:52 PM »
Yeah I know and a lesson for others as well. Prescribed asprin for 6 weeks and took it for an additional week along with the TED stockings, so, I fall into the small percentage that get it . It's all good. Hip is good as gold though still on 1 crutch

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2014, 07:13:52 PM »
Good Luck with your recovery and Thank You for posting your blood clot update.  So many people always think - it won't happen to me.  Unfortunately, blood clots do happen and any time you have a lot of pain and swelling that seems much more than normally surgery swelling, please go to the ER and have it checked out.  Several members had very close calls and might not be with us if they had not made that decision.

It is difficult to decided what is normal and what is not - but extreme pain and swelling is not normal.  Always best to error on the conservative side than to ignore. Can't use that new hip resurfacing six foot under!!

Good Luck and keep us updated when you can.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

lgbran

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2014, 08:38:28 AM »
10 weeks tomorow since my surgery. If anyone had said I would still be on 1crutch/walking stick at this stage still I would have laughed. However it's only been today that I've used the walking stick all day so that's progress. Have now ceased injections into the stomache and off to my Dr tomorow to find out where to from here.
It's amasing how the mind works I'm thinking as I've now got clots below and above the knee and the chances of this happening were very slight I'm thinking my Bhr will fail down the track. I know it sounds daft.Ive also looked at the DVt forum and it's not good reading.
My hip feels good despite not doing any excercise/stretches at all on drs orders. Hopefully get some clarity tomorow. Can any one advise post Dvt how they have done in terms of being out of the woods. If my other hip needs doing down the track I am sure my post op medical care will be different. I can't wait to be walking, cycling and swimming again big time. Hopefully the Warferin will only be for 3 months.Will keep you posted

Sandspinner

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2014, 08:20:59 PM »
Your not alone Len.  I'm 2 weeks out from my left resurfacing and had to rush to the ER this morning with excruciating lower leg pain.  I didn't have swelling just severe pain.  The hip is doing well, I'm on one crutch and was far ahead in my recovery compared to my first resurface in 2010.  I was taking aspirin 2x a day post op but they now have me on Xarelto for the next 3 weeks.  Good luck with your recovery.  Tony
Dr. Su
RBHR 2/10, LBHR 1/14

lgbran

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2014, 12:32:49 AM »
Sorry to hear you are in the same boat Tony,
It's good you had it checked out. Here I am almost 3 weeks later resumed physio, walking 5-7 ks a day with my trecking pole after given the go ahead 2 days ago to do things gradually after 2 weeks of complete rest.The clexane injections have ceased and 7 mg of warferin is doing the trick. Will be on this for 6 months.My lower calf gets a bit tight but I'm pushing through.Looking forward to seeing my Surgeon on the 6th, after X-rays and hopefully showing all is well. Your progress might  be delayed in some ways but progress in others.All the best in your recovery Tony.Keep in touch
Cheers
Len

Sandspinner

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2014, 02:41:42 PM »
Just wanted to report back that after 3 months on Xarelto I am now clot free as confirmed by a recent doppler scan.  Glad to be off the blood thinner.
Dr. Su
RBHR 2/10, LBHR 1/14

lgbran

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2014, 08:43:42 AM »
That's great to hear.
Just back from my GP today and in another 5 weeks will be off the blood thinners as well.Cant wait for my leg to appear normal. All the best in your ongoing recovery 😊

lgbran

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2014, 02:51:12 AM »
Been off the warferin since mid July. It's great to be off that stuff. Have a few surface veins showing especially on my foot but hopefully over time this will disappear. All good 😋

hernanu

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2014, 05:16:21 PM »
That's great. You've been dealing with this for a while. Now to get back to healing and progressing...
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal