+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Icing  (Read 2450 times)

luz2014

Icing
« on: January 12, 2014, 02:39:45 PM »
Just had HRS on LHASA with Dr. Gross on 1-6-14. Having a difficult time with my physical limitations.  How many days do you ice an hour on and an hour off for with the polar Ice Machine?

Juno

Re: Icing
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 06:46:45 PM »
Luz -- you are only 6 days out so you should continue to ice as it will help reduce swelling and pain. Both times I iced for about 3 weeks. For the first 2 weeks I iced about 30-40 minutes every 2 hours or so. Dr. Gross does not want you to ice while sleeping as it may get too cold and that can cause its own set of issues (decreased circulation and frostbite).

When you say you are having problems with the physical limitations, I assume that means you are in pain or having a hard time with with not being able to move well? Is that correct? Be sure to use your pain medications as needed, elevate your leg frequently and don't try to do more that you can. Rest as much as possible so that your body can recover from this major surgery. Try to move a little every hour or so -- that will prevent you from getting too stiff. You will begin to feel much better after 2 weeks.

Still, give yourself time. It does get better. I'm 4 1/2 weeks out from my second HR and am going back to work tomorrow. I walked a mile yesterday without my cane (slowly!).
I hope that helps!
Right resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 7/11/13
Left resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 12/11/13

luz2014

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 07:32:05 PM »
Juno
 Thanks for responding! Yes, I did mean limited in activity and taking a ridiculous amount of time to shower and dress.  I am just overwhelmed and whining some.  I stopped taking the pain meds yesterday ( day 5) as they were making me nauseous and the only time I was feeling pain was when standing and sitting.  I switched to Tylenol x-tra strength every 5 hours and that is helping.  I realize I need to be thankful that all went so smooth and patient.  Reading you were back at work in 4.5 weeks was encouraging.  Best of luck!

China Lady

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2014, 07:52:52 PM »
Having a difficult time with my physical limitations.

Morning Luz!
I know what you mean. my surgery was 1-03-14, bilateral. I am home now since this weekend, everything is difficult, everything is different. we all have been active and strong people before surgery and this first days at home we feel like stranded mushrooms. I need help to have a shower, I need to ask for nearly everything, has something fallen to the ground, it also can be on the moon.........
we are still in the process to organize my environment.
then there is the psychological aspect; I am not used to ask for something and Thomas is not used to be asked. we deal with this topic with "open talks".

the icing helps me a lot. I have 4 gel-pads; always 2 in the fridge and 2 in use. I try to cool as often as possible. it reduces the bruising/swelling and takes away some of the muscle itches. every 1 to 1,5 hours I walk around and make my exercises. also each time I raise, I give myself a duty; like, bring back a banana from the fridge, go, brush your teeth, pour yourself a glass of juice in the kitchen, ....... whatever
so, I try to feel more independent again. yes I know, small steps, but I give myself each time a "high5" when I managed a duty.
be patient and cool down!
..... I will find out

Miguelito

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2014, 07:53:19 AM »
Ha-ha! I remember the same thought when dropping something, that there was nothing I could do to get it (if I didn't have my reacher).

I am sorry, can't recall my icing regimen (other than it was a constant ice-on, ice-off for at least a couple of weeks - my wife was awesome about refilling that thing).

I did want to comment for posterity and anyone reading this that my number one piece of advice to people immediately after surgery is to take all required meds and don't try to be a hero and come off them early or anything like that. I didn't read than anyone on this thread was, i just want to emphasize the point. Good luck to both of you!

Mike
RHR April 2012.
LHR March 2014.

Both Biomet Magnum/Recap 54/48, by Dr. Thomas Gross.

oldsoccerplayer

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2014, 10:27:10 AM »
Hi Luz,
I'm now sorry I didn't keep a more detailed diary but from memory it was about 2 weeks before I could stand up in the shower rather than sitting on a chair and maybe 6 weeks before I could pull my socks on unassisted.
Everyone goes at a different pace but my point is to reinforce the advice you're getting here. For the first few weeks don't worry about what you can and cannot do, that will come later.
It's a roller-coaster for a while, there are times when you feel helpless because you can't do simple every-day tasks, and you experience aches and pains that you're not used to. My experience and that of most others here is there's no need to worry, just give it time.
BioMet Left Hip Resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 07/2013

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Today at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
Yesterday at 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal