+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Hip Number 2  (Read 2766 times)

Clarkefan

Hip Number 2
« on: January 13, 2014, 01:01:48 PM »
Hi folks, just a quick note that I am 4 weeks out today after getting my left hip resurfaced (right hip was 6 years ago). I am doing quite well, all things considered. I take ibuprofen twice a day (mostly at night and in the morning). I'm walking comfortably (cane or single crutch) with a fairly normal stride, managing a mile on the indoor track.  Apart from occasional twinges, I don't feel bad at all (fingers crossed up to this point). I can also do the prescribed post-op exercises with little difficulty (last week, that wasn't the case, but things have improved).

A week from today I go in for my post-op X-ray and evaluation, hoping to hear "all restrictions lifted."

It's great that I can do more with my leg now than I could before surgery and am even sleeping more comfortably (except that I hate sleeping on my back).

If I get the same good result I had on my right side, I have no doubt I'll be back to a normal lifestyle by spring. (Just gotta keep up with the long-term maintenance leg exercises.)

Miguelito

Re: Hip Number 2
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 04:17:37 PM »
Excellent news! I like it. I imagine there are going to be some restrictions still in place after six weeks, right? No heavy lifting, no collision sports, etc?

Mike
RHR April 2012.
LHR March 2014.

Both Biomet Magnum/Recap 54/48, by Dr. Thomas Gross.

Granton

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2014, 04:36:03 PM »
Sounds as if you are progressing well. I had my second done in October and rarely even think about it now.

If you hate sleeping on your back (as did I), are you not permitted to sleep on the unoperated side but with a pillow between your knees? I was doing that, with permission from the medics by your stage.

Might be worth checking, if it gives you a few hours of good sleep that helps so much.

David
David
Rt BHR Nov 1999
Lt BHR Oct 2013
Mr D McMinn

hernanu

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2014, 06:22:30 PM »
Nice to see the second going so well!

I had my second do well also, congrats and welcome to the bi hippy club.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Munch

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2014, 10:26:24 PM »
congrats and thanks for sharing your story.  I guess I had mine done one week before you...at 5 weeks now.  Can't wait till 6 week checkup and hopefully clearance to get to "Phase 2" or exercises and removal of 90 degree restriction, etc.  Also glad to hear you're other hip is a success story at 6 years!
Left hip resurfacing by Dr. Gross December 9, 2013
Right hip resurfacing by Dr. Gross December 11, 2013

Clarkefan

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2014, 09:53:10 AM »
If the same rules apply, if my 5 week check up looks good, I do PT until I can do a prescribed series of exercises with a 10 lbs weight on my ankle. At that point, I'll be cleared for the more exciting and fun options (I'm rather a fitness enthusiast).

Note that, even with a healthy leg, 10 lbs on the ankles is a lot of weight.

Debcoco

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2014, 11:13:42 AM »
Thanks for the update! All sounds so encouraging.

Today is my 6weeks post op follow-up. I, too, am hoping for some restrictions to be lifted.  The main thing for me right now is lower back stiffness. After reading a lot of comments about taking it easy with Physical Therapy (PT), I think now that I am stronger I'll let the PT guy do his thing.  When I tired to do the sitting leg lifts I had groin pain and I told him I wasn't going to continue as I've read too many stories about "permanent groin pain" from doing too much too soon.  He disagreed, but of course did not make me continue.  So maybe after today, once the Dr sees the X-Rays, he'll tell me to push through. I just want him to tell me it's ok.

What a difference 6 weeks makes :)
RBHR, Dr. Richard Sellers, 04 DEC 13

keepmovin

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2014, 02:32:59 PM »
It's always great to hear how well everyone is doing 4-6 weeks out, but don't be to anxious to get things going too quickly!

I had my first (and hopefully last!) setback at 7 weeks - up until then I had no pain and was moving around quite nicely!  I began pushing on the strengthening exercises and probably wasn't listening too closely to my body.  I ended up back on crutches and slowly made my way back to where I need to be. 

Just started outside physical therapy two weeks ago and learned a lot about 'sleeping muscles' after surgery...it takes time and patience to get them moving smoothly again.

Be kind and gentle to those sleepy muscles! :D
LBHR - HSS, Dr. Su, 4/11/2011
RBHR - HSS, Dr. Su,  10/17/2013

hernanu

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2014, 03:12:30 PM »
Thanks for the update! All sounds so encouraging.

Today is my 6weeks post op follow-up. I, too, am hoping for some restrictions to be lifted.  The main thing for me right now is lower back stiffness. After reading a lot of comments about taking it easy with Physical Therapy (PT), I think now that I am stronger I'll let the PT guy do his thing.  When I tired to do the sitting leg lifts I had groin pain and I told him I wasn't going to continue as I've read too many stories about "permanent groin pain" from doing too much too soon.  He disagreed, but of course did not make me continue.  So maybe after today, once the Dr sees the X-Rays, he'll tell me to push through. I just want him to tell me it's ok.

What a difference 6 weeks makes :)

Hey Deb, it does take a while to get to what I thought were "acceptable" levels, but remember that this is not a traditional recuperation. It involves supporting the hip device while it grows into the bone.

I did in home PT, and outpatient PT for each hip, and was excited to have them, but you do need to listen to your body and not push through stuff. You will get there, but it is good to be patient with things.

You want to reach the one year mark with a strong hip and ready to get wicked serious with your workouts. Before six months I just tried to get myself moving and keep my upper body strong.

Just my 2 cents, but patience is the key. Doesn't mean you take it easy, but I tried to avoid pushing through pain. It is a good marker that you may not be doing something good.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 03:13:40 PM by hernanu »

Debcoco

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2014, 09:04:47 AM »
Thanks Hernanu...I will take your advice to heart.  Yesterday, the Dr "released" me from PT. He emphasized walking.  I went onto both Dr. McMinn's and Dr. Gross' websites and took a look at their Phase II exercises.  They both have similar exercises and I'll continue to do the ones I've been doing and then add a few of theirs as time goes by. 

My next goal is the 3 month mark and I want to be feeling like I am right now which is Great!  I think the catch phrase for the website should be "slow and steady wins the race!"

hernanu

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2014, 10:16:52 AM »
It is, because eventually you do get back to full function.

Everyone is different, and some got back to great activity faster, but it took me about five months to get back to gym workouts. At that time, all I wanted to do was to get back in the flow of things.

I got a personal trainer for a month to work with me in integrating the physical therapy exercises with my regular workout routine. I found in therapy that I had been underemphasizing core work over the years (probably due to pain and all) without noticing it.

We designed a good regimen and worked me up to about six months so that I was well trained on it and got some of my wind back. I still was unable to run, but I had told her that my goal was going back to full speed Tae Kwon Do.

I started hitting the punching bag (lightly) with my hands at about six months. This requires interaction with the hip, so it had its twinges and setbacks (one time in particular, when I missed the bag with a hook and went all the way around with the hip... ouch). Any time I felt pain I just stopped and catalogued in my mind what I was doing, then took it up next time.

I had two setbacks based on working out. The first was when I combined leg presses (I had lowered my usual amount of weights by half and increased the number of reps by 200%), which were working fine, with treadmill running at nine months. My hips did not like that combination at all and put me out for a week.

I could do one or the other, but not both in one workout. Have no idea why.

The second was after an energetic workout at ten months, I had pain in my left groin each time I stepped. This continued for about two weeks and prompted a call to my surgeon. It went away and never came back. I figure (the way that we do) that it was scar tissue letting go. Nervous times though.

Real workouts (to me) began after one year. Yoga, full speed bag work with kicks and punches, much more aggressive on the running and weight lifting.

So I guess my point is that you've got a ways to go, but each improvement is like those steps on a Mayan pyramid, little and seems not enough, but sooner or later you get to the top. Just avoid the slips and you're fine.

Debcoco

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2014, 10:13:14 PM »
That is such a good idea about using a personal trainer and incorporating physical therapy exercises.  When the time comes, I would like to take the same path.  Your posts make me excited for what's to come! 

Thanks again for encouraging us all!

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
Yesterday at 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Re: Powerplate Use by BilateralRecerf
April 21, 2024, 10:34:10 AM