+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Crash and Hurt  (Read 18299 times)

moe

Crash and Hurt
« on: January 17, 2014, 10:14:04 AM »
About a week ago I was mountain biking with a friend in an inch or so of slushy/ snow conditions. It was also dry and clear in 50% of the trails. After about 90 minutes or so of really good riding we started down a new trail and almost immediately I went down very hard on my right hip, there was some solid ice under some leaves that I didn't see. I knew right away that I was in serious trouble. I tried to stand but could not, I was almost passing out from the pain and shock. After about ten minutes trying to gather myself I was able to crawl to a parallel fire road about 75 feet away.

I was able to stand with help from my friend but could not move. Luckily I had my cell phone and my friend was able to get a 911 call out. After 20 minutes I could hear the siren and an ATV showed up with 3 rescue personnel. They had to strap me to a board while standing up and lay me down in the back of the ATV. My pain was already at 10 but that 1.5 mile ride out on a bumpy washed out trail it was all I could do to stay conscious, I think I was screaming all the way, but there was no other option.

Into the rescue vehicle at this point and they took my vital signs and gave me morphine. Was rushed to the trauma center at the city hospital. There they did more testing and x-rays, which showed a crack in my femur just below the femural component. They started talking about surgery, but they do not perform HR's at that hospital. I requested to be transferred to the hospital which did my surgery and be seen by Dr Marchand. They agreed to this after I signed some papers.

After transfer the next morning I took a CT scan and Dr Marchand saw me later and he did say he sees some cracks but nothing has moved and the bone is not displaced. He recommends crutches and non weight bearing for 4 weeks and hope it heals w/o surgery. I did not see the CT scan yet, I trust his judgment.

So after 3 days in hospital I am now home and resting with a walker and crutches. I have to say the pain has been quite awful at times, much worse than post surgery, I suffered much trauma to the area. Right now I am using Percoset, which helps. I also had Morphine, Dilauded and Vicodin.

I'm not sure how this will turn out but I see Dr Marchand in a week and will report back then.

Sorry for the length and thanks for reading. Moe

Bi-lateral, BHR, Dr Marchand. 7-13-09

obxpelican

Re: Crash and Hurt
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2014, 02:41:33 PM »
We have had one other hippy crash on this site and break their femur, they were lucky and the implanted area was not affected and through lots of pins and screws they kept their implant.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

Debcoco

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2014, 07:28:10 PM »
Moe,
Wishing you the best and a healthy recovery!

debcoco
RBHR, Dr. Richard Sellers, 04 DEC 13

hernanu

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2014, 09:28:06 PM »
Holy cow Moe! 

Dr. Marchand is very good, if he thinks things are positive, most likely they are. Let us know how it goes, you are in my thoughts and hope that everything is well.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

sroberts

• rbhr Dr Rogerson 6/26/08
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2014, 09:49:27 AM »
Hey Moe,

Sorry about your fracture. I hope it heals. I had a crash and broke my greater trochanter right below the device in April 2012. It was a significant break so they attached a plate and screws. Nine months later I had the hardware removed and all is good now. You can view my xrays in the gallery....one with the hardware and one picture of the hardware after they took it out. PM me if you'd like to discuss further. I know how much pain you are in.......good luck and let me know if I can be of help.

spencer

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2014, 09:54:49 AM »
Moe

I am sorry to hear about your accident.  I hope it will heal well for you in time.  Patience is probably the most important part of your healing. 

Good Luck and stay in touch when you can.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

whyme

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2014, 05:59:04 PM »
Moe, sorry to hear... It seems the worst of the pain is over now, hopefully you can recover without any intervention and the HR device is not affected. Keep us posted!
Left hip resurfacing (Conserve Plus) 2013-09-04
Dr. De Smet

Gino_Tortellini

• "Keep your tire spinnin!" - Me
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2014, 08:40:21 PM »
I read your post after my lengthy update on my first MTB Race. Hoping all goes well on your recovery and you are able to get back on the trails. I am sure that is not on your mind right now though.

I ride with hip pads but I think they would have to be more like hockey pads to do any real good.

G_T
Dr. Gross / Biomet Recap Uncemented / Bi Lat / Dec 3 & 5, 2012 / @48 1/2 yrs due Cam FAI

Jason0411

• Hotelier and Volunteer Lifeboat Crewman.
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2014, 03:42:52 AM »
Good luck Moe with time and patience you can heal yourself. I am now 2 years since a crush fracture and doing well.
RBHR Mr McMinn 6th December 2011.
Tripped and crushed head under cap 31st January 2012.
Self repairing.

luann again

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2014, 07:08:19 PM »
So sorry, Moe. I face this kind of trauma with my horseback riding... yikes!!
You were smart to insist on transfer to a competent HR facility. Please keep your spirits up and be patient. Let us know periodically how you are doing.
Thinking of you, Lu 
Dr. Sparling WA Wright C+ 2010 right hip, petite female done at age 45

moe

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2014, 09:41:58 AM »
Thank you all for all your kind words and thoughts. Spencer and Jason I remember both your accidents and recoveries so I am taking hope from them. Gino good luck with your riding and racing. Luann, may all your dismounts be pleasant.

Thanks again, moe

David

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2014, 07:29:59 AM »
Sorry to hear of your crash Moe, but glad you stayed out of the OR.  Hopefully all will heal well. 
David
RBHR Dr. Su 8/29/2011
www.jayasports.com

chuckm

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2014, 10:48:07 AM »
Moe, get well soon! I'm sure the fracture will heal nicely in no time. In your opinion do you think your hip was more fragile than you expected or do you think that fall might have injured a native hip the same way? Dr. Bose theorizes that the stem of the resurfacing cap actually makes the femur neck stronger by way of a splinting effect. Maybe that is why the cracks were below the device? Then again, maybe because the neck is so stiff that the bone had to crack instead of just flexing throughout like a native hip might and not fracture.

Chuckm
Left BHR 11/30/12
Hospital for Special Surgery
46 years old

Anna

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2014, 01:09:11 PM »
Oh Moe, noooooo.

So sad to hear this. I hope you have a very speedy recovery and that it's not too badly damaged  :-[

Anna
RTHR - 08/08/2013 -Mr johan witt, London

moe

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2014, 02:56:06 PM »
Just saw Dr Marchand and I got a good look at the fracture on x ray. It actually crosses the stem, about 1.5 inches from the end. He still advises no surgery, it will heal, just need to be careful. Chuck, he said there is no way to know if it would have been better or worse w/o a device in place. I just think it's amazing that one can fall so hard and fracture the femur and the components not move or be effected. My pain is easing somewhat but I really have to stay on top of the meds. Thanks all for concern. I will update.

moe

hernanu

« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2014, 03:41:06 PM »
Well, that's good news moe, just be careful and it will heal right.

Hopefully the pain goes down soon for you, it is amazing that with that much chaos, your HR held up.

Please do update. The best of luck to you.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2014, 04:18:58 PM »
Thanks for the update. I will continue to keep you in my thoughts and prayers.  Looking forward to your updates as you heal.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

moe

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2014, 10:13:25 AM »
4 week update. Saw Dr Marchand yesterday and he says healing is taking place and I should be fine in time. I am now walking with 1 cane. Got the OK to start riding the trainer and doing some light workouts. Pain is much less although I still take a couple of Aleve daily. I am able to walk about 2 /10s of a mile. Will continue updating in the future.

Thanks all for reading and the support.

moe

Edit..1 cane not 1 crutch.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 03:55:33 PM by moe »

luann again

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2014, 11:33:59 AM »
Thanks for update! So glad you're going to be ok! Also good to hear pain is down and you're able to exercise lightly. Keep us posted! :)
Dr. Sparling WA Wright C+ 2010 right hip, petite female done at age 45

Dan L

• LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2014, 12:13:35 PM »
Jeez Moe, just catching up, really sorry to hear about the fall, and happy to hear you are on the mend.

Best regards for a full recovery
LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Yesterday at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM