+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: First MTB Race 13 Months Post Op Bi Lat!  (Read 6278 times)

Gino_Tortellini

• "Keep your tire spinnin!" - Me
First MTB Race 13 Months Post Op Bi Lat!
« on: January 18, 2014, 08:25:29 PM »
Time to tell my story for the benefit of others (some must be lurking like I did prior to surgery)! I suffered from run of the mill FAI which forced me off the dirt bike and progressively onto the couch. Thought I could suffer till the big 5-0 but was not to be (48 at time of surgery). Now I am hitting 5-0 not chained to the couch!

Did the typical basic Dr. Gross post op PT for six months. Took it real easy. At six months post op started riding my 1990's Rockhopper. My big plan was to get in shape on the MTB so I could get back to my real passion, motorcycle dirt riding single track. Been riding dirt for 40yrs, raced enduros and hare n' hounds, even progressed to Expert Class, scarry fast dudes there.

So, I started out with the old Rockhopper on flat canal trails then progressed to desert trails three months later after upgrading to a Scott Spark, modern suspension to match my upgraded "as cast cobalt chrome hips"!

Went for my 1 yr follow up with Dr. Gross Jan 14 and everything looked great. Told him I was celebrating by entering my first ever MTB race and he grinned. Also told him I started dirt riding again on my Yamaha WR250F, another grin! And no, I am not planning to race the dirt bike again. I'll have to put a update post over in the Motorcycle page as well. Went on my first dirt bike ride last Sunday and I know that the MTB training made that transition like I had never stopped, except for the blisters on my Palmolive hands (3+ years since dirt biking).

The MTB race was a 13mi trek through the beautiful McDowell Mountain AZ Saguaro and Cholla Cactus trails. I had been training on these trails so I knew how fun they were. I raced in the First Timer class (any male over 18) came in 34 out of 60 and had a great time. No flats or crashes!

FYI, during my training for this event I did have a few "Get Offs". Us dirt bikers don't like to call them crashes. Every time I dusted my self off and got back on with no issues. My hips are MTB crash tested!

Some may think I'm nuts pushing my hardware like this. I could have taken up hiking again but two wheels are my passion. I told my family I did not surf the internet for hundreds of hours, search out the best doc I could find, travel across the country, and rehab for a year so that I could be a bystander.

Next year Dr. Gross says he'll send my blood out for a one time look see and that is it. I asked if highly active folks make more metal and he said the data looks contrary. It's all about the angle (Data again) to him. Data driven and not afraid to push the boundary of this amazing surgery, that is Dr. Gross!

"Keep Your Tire Spinnin" - ME
Dr. Gross / Biomet Recap Uncemented / Bi Lat / Dec 3 & 5, 2012 / @48 1/2 yrs due Cam FAI

Jason0411

• Hotelier and Volunteer Lifeboat Crewman.
Re: First MTB Race 13 Months Post Op Bi Lat!
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2014, 03:46:41 AM »
Keep it up sounds like you are living life to the full.
RBHR Mr McMinn 6th December 2011.
Tripped and crushed head under cap 31st January 2012.
Self repairing.

whyme

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2014, 06:20:02 PM »
Great story Gino! I'm cautious as you were at the beginning, and won't be as adventurous later (different sport, although I will push my boundaries, things going well).

Left hip resurfacing (Conserve Plus) 2013-09-04
Dr. De Smet

hernanu

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 08:38:01 PM »
Love the story Gino! great that you got back to what you love and you did it right.

Excellent.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Gino_Tortellini

• "Keep your tire spinnin!" - Me
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2014, 12:33:48 AM »
Been training for my second MTB race end of April, the Whiskey 25, in Prescott, AZ. This one has 3990 Ft climb. Building up my mileage and vert climbs getting ready. Longest MTB ride so far is 30mi with 2000 Ft climbing.

Started first ever cliping in last month and have paid the price with a few tip overs in gnarly terrain. Bought the POC VPD 2.0 Shorts and have knee shin guards on the way.

Went from 168lbs pre-Hips to 150lbs simply from the MTB riding and less carbs!
Dr. Gross / Biomet Recap Uncemented / Bi Lat / Dec 3 & 5, 2012 / @48 1/2 yrs due Cam FAI

evant

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2014, 07:21:44 AM »
Sounds like a challenging race in April.

Glad you´re surviving your tip-overs.

I think you´re living the life you want.

Best of luck.
rbhr 3 january 2013
mr ronan treacy
royal orthopaedic hospital, birmingham, england

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Yesterday at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM