+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: How far should one walk at two weeks post (RHRS)  (Read 2264 times)

luz2014

How far should one walk at two weeks post (RHRS)
« on: January 20, 2014, 12:41:04 PM »
I have read many different opinions so let's go with my case; so far great recovery and feeling very little pain ( thank God /Dr. Gross' superb mastery!).  I began walking all around my circle 3 days ago with crutches.  According to. Mapmywalk that is a 1.4 mile distance.  I didn't feel any pain.   Is this too much?   I really want to take the most conservative approach so sound advise is welcome.

hernanu

Re: How far should one walk at two weeks post (RHRS)
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2014, 02:33:25 PM »
Just my opinion, but I don't think that's outlandish. I was walking about the same per day (3 times about 1/2 mile) with crutches at three weeks.

If your body feels fine, both during and after, there's no reason not to do it. Just make sure you're aware of how you're feeling and not pushing through pain and (in my non medical opinion) you should be ok.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

whyme

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2014, 07:01:47 PM »
Hi, 2 weeks after surgery I was walking 5 to 7km every day, and a couple of weeks later around 7 to 9. I probably posted details on my story, you can check it out.
If there is no pain and you feel good, and there are no signs of overdoing after it, walking is good! That's what my surgeon said.
Mind you, this is not a race...
Left hip resurfacing (Conserve Plus) 2013-09-04
Dr. De Smet

oldsoccerplayer

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 10:50:06 AM »
My (non-expert) opinion is that it's better to take more frequent shorter walks than say one or two longer ones per day.
BioMet Left Hip Resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 07/2013

chuckm

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2014, 12:06:40 PM »
Another "non-expert" here. If you find that you are "pushing" yourself to walk then don't do it. Only walk if you want to and it is comfortable. So early on you want to avoid a stumble that has you plant your op leg awkwardly. Or even worse a fall on the hip.

The first six weeks I didn't do very much of anything except stretching. I did no walking other than to Christmas shop and some walking at work.

But, at six weeks I felt like taking a walk and so I did. It felt good. From there on I walked constantly.

I returned to competitive soccer at six months.

Chuckm
Left BHR 11/30/12
Hospital for Special Surgery
46 years old

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM