+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Driving wait time for RHR/Bilateral Hippies  (Read 1728 times)

luz2014

Driving wait time for RHR/Bilateral Hippies
« on: January 21, 2014, 11:23:16 AM »
I had a right hip resurfacing two weeks ago with Dr. Gross. He said I could drive using left foot as soon as I was off the narcotics but to wait around three weeks before using my right leg for breaking.  Will my right leg be completely reliable by 3 weeks? Also, I have to drive 2 hours for my six week follow-up.  Will I be okay to drive that distance.  How long before I can drive for 400+ miles? I drive quite a bit for work and have a few 5 hour road trips coming up in March and April. Just wondering what the majority of RH/bilateral hippies' experience was regarding reflexes/pain/ stiffness etc. along with a ballpark average wait time.  Thanks!

Juno

Re: Driving wait time for RHR/Bilateral Hippies
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2014, 02:18:14 PM »
I started driving 2 weeks after my right HR. I practiced with short distances for about a week --- to the grocery store and bank --- things within 3 miles of the house. I used my left door to brake until week 4 and it was a natural change at about that time to start braking right footed again. I don't think I consciously did it, it just happened :)

The hard thing is being about rot get in and out if the car. Push the seat all the way back to get in and out....by 6 weeks you'll be fine to drive 2 hours. Just stop, get out and stretch if you feel the need. I'll be making the 3 hour drive to see Dr. Gross this week for my follow up. Hubby will come with me though so he will likely drive :)

After my right HR we drove to NC to visit family at 7 weeks and it wasn't a problem. That was a 7 hour drive.
Right resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 7/11/13
Left resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 12/11/13

Munch

Re: Driving wait time for RHR/Bilateral Hippies
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 12:32:00 AM »
Tomorrow will be 6 weeks for my right hip ( and left was 2 days before). Also Dr Gross.  They asked me not to drive for 6 weeks wth bilateral. now driving and it feels completely normal. Tomorrow I drive to airport, fly to Charlotte and drive 90 minutes to Columbia.  Not worried at all about the journey. Hope that helps..
Left hip resurfacing by Dr. Gross December 9, 2013
Right hip resurfacing by Dr. Gross December 11, 2013

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat