+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: When did you stop post surgery exercises?  (Read 3496 times)

Debcoco

When did you stop post surgery exercises?
« on: January 23, 2014, 07:58:24 AM »
I had RBHR 7 weeks ago. I was wondering how long to continue the "bed" exercises (heel slide, abduction, gluteal squeeze, etc.)and the standing "chair"exercises?  Is this for life or just until we move on to other types of exercises? 
RBHR, Dr. Richard Sellers, 04 DEC 13

Tian

• LBHR - Dr. Pritchett 12/27/2013
Re: When did you stop post surgery exercises?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 09:53:56 AM »
Great question!  I am 4 weeks postop LBHR and still do them -- not as religiously as I should -- and am going to regular PT twice a week now and my PT said I should go ahead and continue with them 'for now'. 
I can imagine if your quads and gluts seem strong enough and you are off walking aids, then you could stop those, but I bet the slides, the adductors and anything that mobilizes the hip joint are good to continue with.
I have a PT appt today and will get their thoughts.

--Tian

hernanu

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 12:00:06 PM »
I stopped them after I graduated from outpatient PT. By that time I had merged my PT exercises with a regular workout, and the home PT stuff was a little easy.

I still have the stick figure instructions on my fridge 3+ years later, mostly to remember where I am every now and then.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Debcoco

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2014, 09:50:56 AM »
Tian,
That makes sense.  I guess once off the cane walking will strengthen the muscles.

Hernanu,
I didn't have a good experience with my 6 sessions of "out patient" so I was just curious about how long others kept up with the exercises.  This weekend I plan to start back to the gym and slowly get back into a routine.  I'll try the recumbent bike  and do some upper body work. I guess we all have to find our own way as far as exercising post surgery.

Thank-you both very much!

debcoco

hernanu

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2014, 10:22:10 AM »
Tian,
That makes sense.  I guess once off the cane walking will strengthen the muscles.

Hernanu,
I didn't have a good experience with my 6 sessions of "out patient" so I was just curious about how long others kept up with the exercises.  This weekend I plan to start back to the gym and slowly get back into a routine.  I'll try the recumbent bike  and do some upper body work. I guess we all have to find our own way as far as exercising post surgery.

Thank-you both very much!

debcoco

Like with everything else we do as hippys, you have to trust your body and your gut feel for what is right and wrong. I had a very good experience with my PTs, but if you don't have a good feel for it, dump'em I say.

The main thing is to get to the point where you're healthy and strong and a lot of that is time and walking. I thing if you check, you'll see that some very successful hippys did not do PT.

I found it really useful, but I had a good group that was used to working with THRs (I was their first HR) - but even with that, I chose not to do some things that caused me trouble (one machine was a problem).

I went back to the gym after two months of outpatient PT (2-3X per week), for my usual 2-3X per week workouts.

I think you can take many paths to being fully fit. I found that adding core exercises as a regular part of my workout was important.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

chuckm

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2014, 10:45:49 AM »
Debcoco, it will help streamline your rehab if you set some goals and then focus on doing the things to reach those goals. Even if your goal is just to be able to walk normally, you are going to have to continue stretching and strengthening exercises that focus on the hip muscles. Regular walking does help a great deal. But in order to get the hip to extend well enough for a comfortable walk you have to strengthen the glutes and just walking didn't do it for me.  I walked over 100 miles between months three and six. I had no limp and no one could tell I had hip surgery, but the front of the hip remained tight. I refocused on glute strengthening with plank exercises and at a year I really started to get a more comfortable walk.

I've been involved in sports all my life so putting my own exercise routine was simple but I recommend physical therapy if you are not sure about what exercises are going to help. I went to P/T three times a week from week four through week ten just to keep me from slacking off.

By the way, my goal was to return to playing soccer and I did that comfortably at six months with a program that my surgeon put together for me. I could jog, sprint, and jump but believe it or not walking with no soreness took much longer for me than returning to soccer. 

Chuckm 
Left BHR 11/30/12
Hospital for Special Surgery
46 years old

Debcoco

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2014, 10:29:21 PM »
Hernanu,

If there is one thing I've learned from this website is to go slow and have patience.  It's hearing from experienced "hippies" like you that has given me hope that I, too, can get back into all of the activities I've missed out on due to a bad hip. This afternoon I called the PT guy that I really liked and trusted and he gave me some good suggestions of things to do when I go to the gym.  I'm looking forward to working out again :)

I always appreciate your posts.

debcoco

Debcoco

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2014, 10:41:06 PM »
Chuckm,

Playing soccer at 6 months is amazing!  I like your idea about goal setting.  I want to make sure my range of motion is all it can be.  For example, I can do straight leg lifts, but I have some pain.  I would push through if I thought it would help, but from what I've read here, I'm not going to do it.  So, I will need to find another way to strengthen the quads.

Just today, a friend told me about a Pilates studio in town that has a PT on staff!  They work with all sorts of joint patients and modify their equipment as needed.  I'm going to get more info and will most likely give it a try.

Thanks for your advice.

debcoco

chuckm

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2014, 01:13:26 PM »
Debcoco, definitely follow up with P/T. Be weary about your P/T if they are focused on just building muscle though. Months one through three should be about gaining range of motion (something that gets progressively more difficult as you wait). Building muscle strength can be done at any time. Definitely avoid (straight) leg lifts until pain is completely gone. It might not hurt to lift if your leg is bent over the side of table and that would be ok. Your quads can strengthened by lower leg extensions or quad sets. Ask your P/T about that.

Chuckm
Left BHR 11/30/12
Hospital for Special Surgery
46 years old

Debcoco

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2014, 03:19:27 PM »
Chuckm,

I never thought about the muscle vs ROM...makes perfect sense.  I'll find a PT or even a personal trainer schooled in joint replacements and work on ROM.  Today, I went to the gym for the first time since surgery and rode the stationary bike for about 10 mins and that felt good.  I couldn't help but look over at the isle with the ARC trainers and feel total jealously. I used to workout for 30 mins a day on that crazy machine :-[  But, I know one day I will again.

I know you've been down this road before and I appreciate you sharing lessons learned.

debcoco

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat