+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: 6 week post-op, Brooks patient  (Read 3167 times)

pombetom

6 week post-op, Brooks patient
« on: January 28, 2014, 01:45:11 PM »
I just had my 6 week follow-up appointment. I had a BHR on 12/17/13, done by Dr. Brooks at Euclid. Everything is going extremely well, and Phil said my walking gait is excellent. I was totally compliant with using two crutches (75% weight bearing) for the whole 6 weeks (well, except when I had to carry something at home or work, when I would use one crutch). I had a 5-10 minute walk from car to desk just now, and it's clear that fatigue is already setting in, yielding a limp. The abduction exercise will take care of that.

I had a fairly uneventful 6 weeks post-op. The lower leg compression contraption was very annoying, but important, so I wore it. It was great to lose that. I returned to work at Day 20 (desk job), which was a bit of a stretch, but manageable.

The one thing that helped me make a lot of progress was getting a cheap (<$200) recumbent stationary bike at about Day 16. That improved my range of motion and overall comfort. I'm looking forward to getting on a real bike this summer.

fenceman

Re: 6 week post-op, Brooks patient
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 04:36:50 PM »
Glad to hear you are doing well.  Make sure you work yourself up to the recommended amount of hip abduction exercises or you are going to be very sore.  Bicycling and walking were the 2 best exercise that help me.
L-BHR - Aug 2008 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Main Campus
R-BHR - Dec 2012 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Euclid Hospital
L-BHR Revision Nov 2017 - Dr. Brooks Euclid

Beth

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 08:42:35 PM »
Pombetom,
Uneventful sounds GREAT!
I am having my first of 2 hips done by Dr Brooks on 2/17. I can't tell you how nervous I am. I had hip scopes in 2012 at CCF and I wasn't at all nervous.
If I may, are you male or female?
I see Dr Brooks for my pre-op next Tuesday. If you can think of anything that would be helpful for me going into this with Dr Brooks, Phil, the hospital let me know. This web site has helped me so much-great people, information and advice.
Good Luck on your journey to a full recovery!
Beth
2/17/2014 RBHR Dr Brooks Cleveland Clinic
52mm cup  46mm head
LBHR planned for 6/19/2015: CANCELLED

fenceman

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 09:33:47 AM »
Beth, its easy to say "don't be nervous" but try not to be nervous.  I have had both hip done by Dr. Brooks and they really have the whole procedure down to a science.  There is no pain or discomfort during the procedure.  I was still nervous before my second but everything went very smoothly.  They have a great staff at Euclid Hospital and they anticipate your needs. 

I would recommend the spinal due to you feel better after the procedure.

Good luck,
Bill
L-BHR - Aug 2008 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Main Campus
R-BHR - Dec 2012 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Euclid Hospital
L-BHR Revision Nov 2017 - Dr. Brooks Euclid

Staggerwing

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2014, 02:51:06 PM »
pombetom,

This Friday will be my 12 week mark for my new LBHR from Dr. Brooks.  Sounds like you are doing great.  Early on I was doing the cycling on a trainer and a good bit of walking.  I'm ashamed to say I haven't been on the trainer for a few weeks.  Been very busy.  But the hip feels great.  If I'm on my feet too long I still limp some.  I think that will continue for a while.  But overall, wow, I feel so much better than I ever did over the last several years. 
Looking back, I wouldn't change a thing.  Dr. Brooks and Euclid Hospital are amazing! 
I will caution you about feeling too good.  A couple times I caught myself not even thinking about my hip and you really have to watch that.  Always be mindful of that hip and take care of it until you gain most of your strength back.  I can't wait for warmer weather to get on my bike and to do some hiking in the woods. 
Beth,
Your time is coming soon!  I'm very excited for you.  When you wake up in recovery, your pain in that hip will be a fleeting memory.  Before long, you will laugh to yourself with the joy of putting your socks and shoes on like a "normal" person with no pain.  The little things will amaze you. 
LBHR, Dr. Brooks, Euclid, Ohio,  11/8/13

obxpelican

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2014, 07:18:40 PM »
Glad to see another Dr. Brooks patient with a great result.

As we always say, pick a great surgeon and you'll get a great result.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

pombetom

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2014, 05:48:42 PM »
Beth,
Sorry I didn't see your post until now, so you've already had your visit with Dr. Brooks, and I hope that you were able to think of all your questions, and get them answered.

I am a male, 55 years old. Others are correct - Euclid Hospital has their act down pat. It's not the most beautiful facility, but the important thing is that the people are experts and Dr. Brooks is one of the best surgeons doing BHR.

If I were to distill the wisdom of those who have had a BHR, it would be: 1) Do your exercises. 2) Listen to your body. 3) Be patient.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat