+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Help - Questions - Anxiety  (Read 47415 times)

mmooney42

Help - Questions - Anxiety
« on: February 03, 2014, 10:30:34 AM »
Hi,

I am 43, 44 next month, healthy active male.  Tore my labrum 14 years ago.  Scoped 10 years ago.  Been researching HR for years.  Currently, I am scheduled for surgery with Dr. in a few weeks, but I really don't want to get it done.  I am scared out of my mind and my anxiety levels are through the roof.

Right now, I have what seems to be a constant soreness in my groin, not severe, but something that is always there.  You constantly feel it.  A few months ago, that wasn’t the case.  It would just get sore with certain exercises.  But now, I feel pretty consistently.  Mild soreness, like a light burning sensation that gets worse with certain exercises.

Timing wise, I'd rather wait until December (I work as a football official in the fall), but am conerned I won't make it that far this time.  Each year, I keep re-evaluating and try to make it through another season.  Part of me wants to get it done and get on the road to recovery, but part of me never wants to get it done.

I am not sure what others have experienced from an anxiety, depression & fear standpoint leading up to surgery, but I am feeling it pretty hard.  Can't sleep and always thinking about it now.  If the date wasn't scheduled, I probably wouldn't feel that way, I'd just be complaining about my hip and talking about needing to get it done.  But with the scheduled date approaching, the realization hits me hard.

When I go down for my pre-surgical visit, my hope is that I will get to see Dr. Su and have him look at the new xray and see how much has changed since Septemer, and discuss the posssibility of putting it off and maybe go the cortisone injection route.

Also, how much help is needed post surgery.  My parents are local and can help with our 4 kids for only 10 days post-op, as they are then going to Florida.  My wife works part time and I would be home alone 3 days a week with no help around.  Curious to know what others think.

Any advise is appreciated.  I am struggling with this quite a bit.

Thanks,
Matt
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 10:34:51 AM by mmooney42 »
Left Hip Resurfacing, Dr. Robert Marchand, 4/2/14.  Age 44 at time of surgery.

chuckm

Re: Help - Questions - Anxiety
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2014, 12:27:20 PM »
Matt, you have to look at it logically. You are a candidate for hip resurfacing and you are having it done at one of the top hospitals in the world with one of the top surgeons in the world. So that should not be a source of anxiety. You really should just get it done. Everything is painless at that hospital and Dr. Su patients all do great.

My friend just had his hip resurfaced at HSS by the same surgeon that did mine. He had the surgery on a Friday and he met me out for lunch at a restaurant on Tuesday – four days later. He was using only a cane to walk. Amazing to see.

I made the decision to delay my surgery to a later date. I coach boys high school soccer every fall and the soonest I could get my surgery done was in July - four weeks before preseason. So I put it off until after the season in November thinking that was not enough recovery time.

NOW I WISH I HAD NOT DONE THAT. Now I know how it is to be on the other side.

I had my hip resurfaced after the soccer season on November 30th.
Twenty five days later it was Christmas and the entire family had come over expecting to see me lying in bed or something like that. But the fact is I was fine. I was walking around the house like normal and having to show my scar to prove I had the surgery.
I could have had the surgery before the soccer season – easily. I look back on it now and see the delay as four lost months.

As far as help all I needed was help putting on my sock the first week. The help my wife gave me was great but she was expecting some huge 24/7 job which it wasn’t. By day five I was getting my own beers out of the fridge instead of letting her do it :)

Almost everyone here posts that their hips started to feel better as the surgery date approached and the anxiety it produces from wondering if it is the right decision. Just keep in mind, the torn labrum and arthritis that goes with it DOESN’T GET BETTER. My hip had sudden improvement in the month before surgery.
The longer you wait the more you are going to kick yourself later.
Chuckm
Left BHR 11/30/12
Hospital for Special Surgery
46 years old

Miguelito

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2014, 12:58:40 PM »
Hi Matt,

You seem to be having a little more anxiety than I did, but I had a good deal. It didn’t go away until I gave up pursuing local surgeons in Boston and contacted Dr. Gross. Mailing my application alone freed my mind tremendously. Actually talking to him two weeks later sealed the deal and I really didn’t worry too-too much past that point.

I never spoke with Dr. Su, so can’t comment if he has the reassuring presence that Dr. Gross does. I would assume so; he is certainly an extremely highly regarded surgeon. Have you actually spoken with Dr. Su?

Also, wanted to say that I try (mostly) to not unduly encourage people into surgery (though I believe it is demonstrably the best option for people like myself , probably yourself too). You will know when you are ready. The typical pattern is people wait too long for the first surgery and have it done when they no longer have any choice. Certainly some do have a choice; I really didn’t. If they need a second surgery (as those with FAI such as myself typically will)  they generally pull the trigger more quickly as they are already comfortable with the surgery and they don’t want to go thru what they did with the first hip again. They also usually wish they hadn't waited so long with the first hip.

The reason I try not to unduly encourage people is that, to be honest, the first two weeks after surgery were very hard for me, particularly that first week. It sucks. Others have had easier recoveries than mine, others much worse. I think mine was in the typical range. Yeah, it is not nearly as bad as a bad stomach bug where you wish you were dead. And you will probably be on some very good pain medications, so that will likely not be an issue.

Watching four kids 10 days after surgery? I would not have wanted to do it. It could probably be done (and I’m sure has, by better people than I) unless there were diapers and high chairs involved (i.e. real little kids) in which case I will just recommend that you come up with some additional help for a little bit longer. If you have any other family or good friends around, ask for help. If not, pay for some assistance (for the kids, not you) for at least a few days past the ten. If you don’t need it, great; If you do need the assistance, then play it by ear and keep them on as long as you need, though I don’t think it would be very long (depending on how old your kids are, etc.)

Good luck with everything!

Mike
RHR April 2012.
LHR March 2014.

Both Biomet Magnum/Recap 54/48, by Dr. Thomas Gross.

mmooney42

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2014, 01:57:43 PM »
Chuck, Mike,

Thanks for the advice and feedback.  I have met with Dr. Su twice.  Once 5+ years ago.  At the time, he told me to wait.  Saw him again this past November and he said I am definitely a candidate for resurfacing now.  I asked him about waiting another year, to get through another season, he said I can do it if I can take the pain, that the window wasn't closing.

My concern about waiting is getting to a point where I am in agony and am begging to get it done.  I should be seeing him this week for pre-surgical and will go over the options with him again at that time, such as cortisone, or just go forward with the procedure.

I live in Mass, on the RI line.  I went to a Doc in Boston as well several years ago, but after more research, was not comfortable with him.  I've also been to Dr. Clarke is Syracuse (My in-laws live around the corner from him and that would be good for my wife and kids during surgery).

Dr. Su is out of network for me, so I will probably have to pay lot. 

I've also thought about Dr. Marchand in RI, who trained under Dr Su.  It's close and in network which are both comforting.  I've also heard a lot of good things about him.  However, I know Dr. Su is supposed to be one of the best and I don't want to put a price on health.

I am trying to talk myself into doing it and what the benefits are, but the other half of me is trying to find every reason to try and delay until December.

Thanks for the feedback.  Much appreciated.

Matt

oldsoccerplayer

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2014, 02:49:25 PM »
Matt,
I personally took the cortisone shots once every 3  - 4 months for a couple of years. My anxiety level maybe wasn't as high as yours but I was thinking that a) surgery is really the worst-case scenario and should be postponed as much as possible and b) you never know when new treatments are going to come out and if I delay maybe they'll find an alternative to surgery or at least a 'better' surgical approach.
The shots kept me functioning, playing soccer was painful but I could do it, but after a while they were no longer effective.
I got to a point where yes, I could have continued without surgery but my physical activity would be limited to no more than 10 minutes walking or 30 swimming at a time, not to mention the nagging pains from just bending over or stretching.  I wasn't prepared to live with that and decided that the potential benefits of surgery far outweighed the risks and when I went to see Dr. Gross he was very confident that he could 'fix' me.
I am not strongly in the "I wish I had done it sooner" camp. My decisions were right for me at the time.
(For the record I was 58yr. old male at the time of the surgery. I'm now 59 but still male  :) )
BioMet Left Hip Resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 07/2013

Miguelito

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2014, 03:32:08 PM »
Matt,

I'm sure you've considered it from all angles, but Dr. Su was not in my network, and Dr. Gross was (BC/BS Federal). Being from metro Boston, I looked into Dr. Su first when looking at out of town doc's, but when I found out he was not in my network I continued my search. With three little kids the money tree is tapped out, and it was definitely some weight off my mind not having as much of a financial burden.

I am having my other hip fixed next month, also by Dr. Gross. I am a big fan of Jet Blue, and my flight (to nearby-ish Charlotte) was only $76 each way (I think)...

Mike
RHR April 2012.
LHR March 2014.

Both Biomet Magnum/Recap 54/48, by Dr. Thomas Gross.

yogalover

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2014, 04:44:04 PM »
Hi Matt
It seems not only does everyone have their own timeline for recovery, but also their own feelings about getting cut - the primal survival instinct gets activated.  Once I decided that I trusted my surgeon, based on his track record and my own gut feeling after meeting him, I avoided thinking about the mechanics of the surgery. I was in pain for about 3 years, but only diagnosed 8 weeks before surgery, and six of those weeks was a cortisone honeymoon (nice - but it wore off 2 weeks before surgery, in time to reinforce my decision).

This reply to you is my first post after surgery. I'm 7 days post-op today (Mon 1/27/14) - had my surgery at Swedish Orthopedic in Seattle (Dr. Pritchett). The folks on this forum were great with my last minute questions a few days ago.  I'm doing very well.  Went home Tues, was off pain meds Thursday. I'm using Mobilegs crutches, but more weight bearing daily - starting to use a cane for short bits (bed to toilet). No pain - just some weakness in that hip and leg. The incision stings a bit, helped by ice. Mild leg swelling, which is addressed by icing one hour on, one hour off, during the day using a Kodiak cold therapy unit that I bought on ebay.

My sister stayed with me for 4 nights, and I really needed her, but now I can do a lot - just can't bend, pick stuff up, carry or drive. I'm a single mom with 3 teens, and arranged for my 2 boys to stay with their dad for 2 weeks.  That was definitely a good call. As it is, I imagine we'll be having pizza for a couple days when they're back, unless they become inspired in the cooking dept.  I asked a neighbor to help me charge up the Kodiak unit twice a day.

Having your parents help for 10 days sounds like a very good idea.  Best wishes for your decision making process.
-Jenny

HippyDogwood

Help - Questions - Anxiety
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2014, 06:04:23 PM »
Hi Matt

A perspective from a non-hippy. 46 year old sporty male who looks to be in a similar position to you. I was given an anticipated timeline of up to 2 years for surgery and am nearly up to that now.

The recurring theme I have read is the statement "you will know" when it is time. We all have different pain thresholds and are affected in different ways. Mine is FAI related, so playing golf normally attracts a flare up but then I can go an hour on a cross trainer where the impingement is not working against the socket (lateral rotation is the killer) and it feels fine.

I have avoided a cortisone shot as for every person who says it helped, there is one who found their hip when downhill quickly after a shot. Also, as with any surgery there is a risk, and whilst not high if you go to an experienced surgeon, there are a number of members here who have had either metal reactions or the cup coming lose, it does have a higher failure rate in the early years compared to THR but has far less restrictions and should last a lot longer.

I think it is easy to regret not doing it sooner if you get a great result. The converse (but far less likely) is how you would feel if you went from a situation that was not ideal but manageable (now) to a failed resurfacing and then to THR with restrictions.

I know my hip wont last a long time and they get exponentially worse, so you can go from manageable to a lot of pain pretty quickly. All I can say is that I understand your anxiety and my approach is to wait until I feel I don't have an option as that way I know I wont regret it if the resurfacing does not work out. That may not be the correct decision for you, but I wanted to let you know there are many others in your position and as long as you are managing the situation and not missing out on life then there is nothing wrong with putting off the decision for what could be months, or possibly years.

Best
David

Debcoco

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2014, 07:46:00 PM »
Hi Matt,

After 3 years of worsening groin pain, I finally had an x-ray that revealed bone on bone osteoarthritis of the right hip. So now it wasn't a matter of "if" I needed surgery, but "when".  I asked him when?  He said these words, "you will tell me".   I thought that was a bit odd.  However, a couple of months later, he was right.  Once the limping worsened and the sleep lessened and the pain increased, I took the plunge.  So glad I did!  I am female/57 at time of surgery.

Good Luck with whatever you decide!

debcoco

RBHR, Dr. Richard Sellers, 04 DEC 13

Debcoco

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2014, 07:53:48 PM »

The recurring theme I have read is the statement "you will know" when it is time. We all have different pain thresholds and are affected in different ways. Mine is FAI related, so playing golf normally attracts a flare up but then I can go an hour on a cross trainer where the impingement is not working against the socket (lateral rotation is the killer) and it feels fine.

David (HippyDogwood),

Your comment above is very interesting. I never understood how I could workout on the ARC trainer at my gym for 30-45 mins without pain (I was so thankful as this was the only exercise that didn't hurt). But then trying to just walk around a track was painful.  I looked up FAI and it solved the riddle!

debcoco

RBHR, Dr. Richard Sellers, 04 DEC 13

China Lady

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2014, 08:19:53 PM »
Part of me wants to get it done and get on the road to recovery, but part of me never wants to get it done.
I like to give you another picture to think about:
you love soccer, it is a hard game. fast and you play it with brain and body impacts. to get hurt during this 90 minutes is a high risk. you don't care, to win is the goal!

in this picture you are on the field now, you have the ball in your possession ......... and what do you do? stand around and think, think, think .....

we all have been/are anxious, we all needed to make the same decision. your problems don't go away with waiting.
..... I will find out

hernanu

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2014, 10:58:30 AM »
Hey Matt,

I think this is a question we've all faced. I know I did.

I definitely did not want surgery and it took me a bit to wrap my head around it. I was told that not only was one hip bone on bone but the other was nearly there. It explained the pain, lack of flexibility, ongoing tenseness of muscles and general downturn physically.

In a way, I had it easier in that the surgeons (both pro THR and HR) agreed on one thing: I needed something now. There was no ambiguity.

In my case, both surgeries were very successful and the recoveries, while not easy were progressive and hopeful. I had had one major surgery long before, this was (in my mind) my first (and second) major surgeries. So I was nervous, but committed, since there was no alternative but some form of surgery.

I can understand your reluctance. I think we all had it, and as much as I believe in HRs now, I do remember my fears.

As long as you don't put yourself past the timeline for when you can have an HR, there is no deadline for having this.

It is major surgery and you want to be right with it, but I don't think there ever was a time when I was carefree about it.

The second time, I was hopeful and excited to be completely pain free, but considered the possibility of it not working well. In the end, I took counsel of my fears, but went ahead because the fact is that it is not a disease which gets better. It will get worse and I was ready to be done with it.

It is completely your decision and the timing is up to you. Several of our hippies did cancel an appointment and had the surgery later. Whichever you do, you'll get our support here, but I can tell you that for me, the change has been like night and day.

Another thing that you might consider is to look at counseling. I had some depression after each of the procedures, and I was going through a divorce, so had a counselor already (yay), so I was able to talk to him about issues with the arthritis, and I think it really helped.

This is a physical procedure, but the impact of pain, frustration, anxiety when faced with a disease benefits, I think from confronting and treating the mental and emotional challenges as well as the physical.

As a parent of four kids, you're dealing with a lot already, so maybe along with doing core exercises to help with the crutches afterwards, talking to a counselor to alleviate the stress might be a good step.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Dan L

• LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2014, 08:57:45 PM »
Certainly understand the anxiety and trepidation and only you can determine when you are ready. 

My 2 cents is that the injections did not help me much, and I wish I would have had the HR's sooner.  I was really anxious before the first one, so I can empathize.  It is a major surgery, after all.  I have done so well after 2 of them that I would do it over again without question.  It will only get worse until the day of the surgery, after which it will steadily improve if you follow the program and do the rehab and honor the restrictions.  Negotiating short term avoidance due to anxiety vs long term benefit of getting it behind you is probably not a good bargain, once you are on the other side, you will wonder why you waited.

Taking care of kids the first couple weeks would be tough I assume, being home alone unassisted was managable for me from the beginning, but I do not have kids.   

This support group here will really help you through this, people like Pat, Hernanu, and many others who have responded to you and others make a huge positive difference. 

Best regards,

Dan
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 08:58:50 PM by Dan L »
LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012

mmooney42

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2014, 12:45:23 PM »
Thanks Dan.

Realistically, how soon are you up and around do 'normal' day to day things without assistance?  How soon could I be out cutting the yard?

Another option I am weighing is putting it off 6 or 7 weeks, and going to Dr. Marchand in RI, which is much closer to me.  My family would be home by then to help with the kids and my wife would not need to stay in a hotel in NY.  I know Dr. Marchand isn't as well known, but he has done around 900 HR's and trained with Dr. Su.

I never expected this much anxiety.

Thanks,
Matt

Dan L

• LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2014, 01:33:15 PM »
Matt;

Dr Brooks required that I stay on crutches for 6 weeks, so no lawn cutting etc until after that period.  I did get antsy after the 2nd BHR, and did cut the lawn on one crutch (and I'm sure I looked like a nut) at about 5.5 weeks.

I was going up and down stairs with crutches immediately after I got home, which is possible but need to be very careful.  I was able to make simple meals, make the bed, shower, let the dogs out, etc, my wife did not have to handle many things really. 

The anxiety is normal.  If there are things that offset it and are not harmful, by all means do what you have to to relieve the fears.

I also wanted to add that the shots have a % chance of infection each time you get them.  After my first one I asked about getting one on the other side to tide me over for 4.5 months until the next surgery, and he said not to do that.  I did not get enough relief to make the injections worth it-- I got really anxious when I was on the table getting the injection on the "good side" about 1 month before the 1st BHR-- something about being in the operating room where they do the outpatient hip injections.

You'll get through this, and be happy you had it done.  Last day of OA or labrum pain on that side is the day before surgery-- that relaization really helped calm me down.

Hope it helps

Dan
LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012

whyme

« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2014, 12:22:24 PM »
Matt,
It seems your anxiety is at two levels: You're not sure it's time yet, and worry about being a burden to your family.

For the first, once the surgeon says you're ready, that means the condition is bad enough. But you might feel in a lot of pain or not (or perceive you're not -and after surgery you realize in how much pain you were!-). It's key not to push it so far than you start compromising the HR, and for that you must trust your surgeon's view, as well as listen to your body.

As for the post-surgery, at first you will have to rely on your family/friends. It takes a few days before you can manage the daily routines by yourself (move around, dress, bathroom, shower...), I'd say from 1-2 weeks post-surgery generally.
Then there are some mandatory restrictions (more or less strict, depending on the surgeon) that you don't want to ignore and put the recovery at risk.
And you want to put time into the exercises routine they might prescribe, and the walks, physio, etc.
So it will take 1-2 months before you can start "contributing" again in a meaningful way.

That's the way it is, you need to focus on the best recovery possible, as it's going to be better for you and your family in the long run.

I'd go with the surgeon I feel most comfortable with, not with the one closest. This is a once off chance to get the best possible outcome.
Left hip resurfacing (Conserve Plus) 2013-09-04
Dr. De Smet

Sandspinner

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2014, 03:46:02 PM »
Hi Matt,

I had my right hip resurfaced by Dr. Su in 2010 and I just had my left hip done 3 weeks ago.  Dr. Su is the absolute best I feel very fortunate to have been able to have him as my surgeon.  Major surgery is scary no question but try and focus on the positive that you have chosen one of the best resurfacing surgeons in the world and there is no better hospital than HSS.  The first few days after surgery are bumpy but after a week you'll make progress with your recovery and your ability to get around and start get back to a little normalcy.  I was able to go back to work after 2 weeks, I sit at a desk so there was no physical work involved.  I did 1/2 days the first week and then back to full time the week after.  You want to take things at your own pace and make sure you do the PT but also take the time to heal and listen to your own body.  I wish you the best of luck getting thru this and please take some comfort that you have chosen an excellent Dr and hospital.  If you have any questions please let me know.  Tony
Dr. Su
RBHR 2/10, LBHR 1/14

cisco.leon

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2014, 10:04:18 PM »
I'm 33 male with complete loss of cartilage on my left hip. I'm also scheduled for Dr Edwin Su on Feb 14, 2014. This Friday! I'm also having anxiety. Because I'm so young. With pain killers I can still work out OK, but I've had to give up the sport I love basketball. But with pain killers I can run on road every 3rd day or so and work out OK. But without them I'm in constant numb pain. Not excruciating but just constant sharp and numbing pain when I tie my shoes, bend over or move laterally.

I wish you all the luck... at least you've have a decade more to postpone it that I :(
I'm scared as hell  but I am hoping that Dr Edwin Su truly is the best. Because that is what I hear.

I want my active lifestyle back. I'll dial it back to preserve my implant, but I want to live with range of motion and pain free. I want to live my youth out to the max.

mmooney42

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2014, 10:49:49 AM »
Thanks for the feedback.

This is such a struggle for me.  I posted about my visit with Dr. Su in another thread.  Anyway, when we met on Thursday, we talked about how I wasn't mentally ready and looking for an 'out'.  He tested my range of motion and said I still had pretty good range of motion.  My xray shows the arthritis but there is still some space.  He said a lot of patients are generally in a little more pain than I am and are begging to get it done. 

So, we talked about pushing it to November and trying cortisone, and he thought that was a good way to go.  I think he could probably see that I am struggling with this decision pretty hard and feels I am mentally not ready.  However, I don't know if I ever will be mentally ready.  By the sound of it, I am still probably in better shape than most of the patients that get operated on.  In sum, I feel I 'chickened out' on getting the surgery because I find this to be so scary and something that I am not totally at piece with.  I think I went into the appointment looking for a way out.

So, on Thursday, we pushed it to November.   But on Friday, I was having second thoughts if that is the right decision.  I kind of want to get it done and get past it and start getting better, but it scares the hell out of me.  Also, I don't have the support in place that I would like if we did it now.  In November, we would have the support in place.  I did talk to Dr. Su's office on Friday to see if they filled my slot on the 14th, and they hadn't.  They said to think it over through the weekend.  So my weekend has been filled with heavy anxiety, and it's taking a toll on my wife.  I've also been told to exhaust all options prior to surgery, to include cortisone.  I've been off Alleve for a few weeks as I was supposed to, so I am probably feeling it a little more than I would be normally if I was taking it. 

I do want to get past  the surgery and get better, but I am not mentally ready and not sure if I ever will be.  Because of this struggle, it is starting to affect my family and I don't want that to happen either.

If I decided to keep the 14th now, I would also probably have to go back down sometime this week to finish the pre-surgical exam, which we didn't finish.  That adds more anxiety.  I wish this was a LOT easier, but it's just my make up that this decision is so hard for me unfortunately.

Matt

whyme

« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2014, 06:30:20 AM »
If the doctor thinks you can hang on for a few months, and you're not ready, and logistics will be better in November, then wait until then and don't dwell on it or punish yourself...

I thought I'd never feel ready, but if you wait for long enough ... believe me there is a point you'll be looking forward to it (in spite of still being scary).

One thing you can do between now and surgery is focus on trying to keep as strong as you can, this will help later (although now it might seem a 'waste' of time).

Good luck!
Left hip resurfacing (Conserve Plus) 2013-09-04
Dr. De Smet

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat