+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Virtually no balance after 8 months  (Read 7471 times)

sharleen

Virtually no balance after 8 months
« on: February 08, 2014, 12:48:30 PM »
I am nearly 8 months post surgery (2nd BHR) I have had a very good recovery so far. I have been walking 4-5 miles a day on quite even, sometimes hilly terrain. Today I joined some friends to do a coastal walk and some of the paths were quite narrow and a little treacherous (compared to what I am used to) I was VERY dismayed to find that my balance was pretty much shot to pieces and I had to go down on all fours and scramble around trying to get up and down the more precipitous parts otherwise I think that I would have toppled over. it's amazing that up until now I really had no idea that my balance was so poor. Any suggestions as to how to improve this problem would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks everyone!

Tian

• LBHR - Dr. Pritchett 12/27/2013
Re: Virtually no balance after 8 months
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2014, 02:14:00 PM »
I'm definitely not a balance expert and am only 6 weeks postop from my left BHR, but I would think that some work with a BOSU balance ball would help for sure.  These are great as you work on your balance while standing/stepping.  Or just work with a regular exercise ball as a start.  This would be easier as you are just sitting.  A last 'no-cost' way to work on your balance is to try some wall sits.  Varying the depth that you slide down and try lifting one leg.

If these don't work too well for you, you could always make an appointment with a PT.

Good Luck !

sharleen

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2014, 02:58:16 PM »
Thanks Tian!Will give it a go. Never been too good with those exercise balls!

hernanu

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 10:27:49 AM »
Hi sharleen, I've done a lot of work on balance, since the activities that I wanted to resume demand it (Martial arts, yoga, soccer, dating ... kidding)...

At physical therapy, they did a couple of things to work on this:

- stand on one leg, first with shoes on, then off. Once you can do this for a minute, graduate to standing on a pillow or a cushion. Once you do a minute with that, take a ball (I used a soccer ball) in both hands, and describe figure 8's in front of you while balancing.

- I use a slide board, which simulates ice skating. Slide sideways on that for fifteen minutes. It's not just a workout, but really strengthens the smaller muscles used for balancing.

- Juggle a soccer ball. It doesn't matter if you're good or have to chase it all over the place, the point is getting those muscles stronger.

- Juggle actual juggling balls. This requires minute shifting of your hips to be positioned correctly.

- Use ankle rubber bands for sideways walking exercises.

Good luck...
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

John C

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2014, 08:48:52 PM »
I agree that the Bosu balance ball is great. The one that I use is the half ball that is hard and flat on one side. When you can balance on that on one leg while doing slight squats, you have developed good balance. Another simple trick that I encourage my ski students to do is balancing on one leg doing very subtle squats whenever you are doing simple tasks like brushing your teeth, doing the dishes, standing in line, etc.
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

sharleen

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2014, 03:10:28 AM »
Thank you John and Hernanu. looks like I am going be VERY busy with the ball if I can find one. WE are very limited here in Bermuda as to what we can buy, I don't think there will be many slide boards around :) I really appreciate both of your suggestions!

ronjoe

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2014, 11:53:57 AM »
My HR was at HSS this past Feb 28th.  My physical therapist per my Surgeon, Dr F Boettner's consult has me working several balance exercises.  "Steamboats" are one of my favs.  With a theraband on the strong leg, weight on the healing leg stretch the band.  One direction at a time per set; forward, then back then in, then out.  The healing leg is worked stabilizing the working leg.

katekosar

• Disney Olympic 2006
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2014, 03:08:55 AM »
I remember the very feeling you are describing.  It came on me all of a sudden about a year out of my first BHR.  I wanted to visit a new business in the inner city ... a couple of guys that had started a bike restoration shop.  The shop was in an old warehouse, and the entry of the shop was at the back of the building where the trucks pull up.  In order to get there, you had to walk across this fairly wide ledge and then up maybe six stairs.  No handrails.  I started out well enough, got about halfway across that ledge, and had the insane feeling that I was going to fall.  I felt like I was a kid on a balance beam in gym class.   I was really afraid.  Luckily, my husband was there to lend a shoulder to hold onto.

I do these rehab-type runners' exercises called Myrtl.  I do them in about four feet of water during one or two or my swim sessions per week.  I do them all upright, and very slowly, letting the water provide its own resistance.  I think I am more internally balanced because of them. 

http://www.njsportsmed.com/files/myrtl_routine.pdf

Also, and this is probably totally unnecessary, at the end of every swim session, I run down the diving board and jump into the deep end, just to keep the balance boogey-men at bay.  I am sure the kids they hire as lifeguards look at this old 62 year woman hoofing down the diving board with a little alarm, but they take it in stride and at least appear not to notice (too much).  Keeps you young.

Kate

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal