+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Yoga stretches  (Read 2469 times)

luz2014

Yoga stretches
« on: February 18, 2014, 05:21:16 PM »
At 6 weeks post-op.  Any yoga people out there with suggestions for safe stretching yoga moves? For instance can I begin doing Sun Salutations, Downward/Upward  Dog, etc.? My lower back needs relief!

Juno

Re: Yoga stretches
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 09:11:37 PM »
Luz -- at 6 weeks I would be very careful with poses. I would wait on sun salutations or anything that requires you to get up/down from the floor just yet. I started back to a "gentle yoga class" at about 12 weeks after my first surgery and 9 weeks after my second (I've been to three classes in the last 7 days).

Down dogs for gentle back stretching are definitely do-able. I personally concentrate on gently getting on the mat, doing table top and cat/dog, sit with both legs straight out and stretch hamstrings, butterfly pose for legs, bridge pose
 and just trying to sit criss-cross (I am still propping up on a blanket to do that). My doctor (Gross) doesn't recommend any active poses or flow classes until 6 months. I miss it! But it does feel good to do basic stretches. I'm also now working on planking and push-ups so I can get my chatarungas back :)
Right resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 7/11/13
Left resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 12/11/13

luz2014

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2014, 10:58:20 AM »
Juno, thank you for the cautions and suggestions.  It gives me hope to hear of your progress and experience.  I'll def. try the mild stretches you suggested. I just need some lower back relief.  Dr. Gross was also my surgeon and believe me, I don't want to stray from his program or recommendations so this new hip will last (hopefully) for the rest of my life.  The great news is I get to walk daily and enjoy our mild Charleston weather so I'm far from complaining.  Do you have any suggestions for helping tennis elbow? Another mild side effect from overusing left arm/ upper body for sitting /standing, etc.. I really appreciate all of the experienced help on this forum.

Juno

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2014, 12:12:15 PM »
Luz -- I didn't realize Dr. Gross was your surgeon as well :)
Lee and Dr. Gross were pretty pointed with me when I asked about yoga (much to my dismay as prior to my HR's I was a pretty accomplished yogi -- balance poses and headstands!). I hope to be back there in a years time.

I'm sorry that I don't know alot about tennis elbow -- except that like any type of tendonitis, rest, ice, massage, iburpofen and sometimes using a foam roller help to relieve the inflammation and thus the pain. My hubby wears a tennis elcow brace that helpd to keep the tendon in alignmnmet when ever he plays tennis --- he says this helps alot.

Best of luck!
Right resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 7/11/13
Left resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 12/11/13

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat