+-

Advertisements

Welcome Back

The Hip Talk Discussion Forum was hacked a few weeks back. It has taken me a long time to fix it. The only backup I could use was way back to April 2020. All members and posts up to that date are available. Anything newer has been lost. I am sorry, but that has been the only way to get things up and running again.

Author Topic: (Small) Concern about my operated hip  (Read 2190 times)

Miguelito

(Small) Concern about my operated hip
« on: February 19, 2014, 01:37:48 PM »
I had my right hip resurfaced almost two years ago by Dr. Gross, and after about a year it was approaching 100%. I couldn’t feel anything different about that hip. I couldn’t “feel” my implant or anything. It felt totally normal.

Now all of a sudden, for the past two weeks, I can “feel” my hip. It’s not painful. I can just “feel” it operating when I walk. I don’t want to overstate this sensation, but I can feel something in there that I couldn’t before. There’s no clicking or catching. No pain. My cobalt and chromium levels are very, very low.

Unfortunately this minor sensation is occurring just before I am scheduled to have my other hip resurfaced, two weeks from today. So now doubt has crept into my head.

I have been battling Achilles tendonitis in the soon to be operated leg for the past five+ months, and have been wearing an aircast boot since the start of December.  I know the boot has been irritating the soon to be operated hip, and I suspect it could be affecting the operated hip as well; In a somewhat desperate attempt to determine if the boot was the cause, I stopped wearing it three days ago. In those three days there may have been a little “improvement” in the operated hip, but I can still “feel” the hip.

If there were not so many moving parts (flights, family help, work arrangements, my consideration of the doctors time, etc.) I would strongly consider postponing my surgery until I was sure there was nothing wrong with the operated hip. I’m obviously going to continue trying to figure this out, but I thought I would just post this and see if anyone had any thoughts, particularly on what the “feeling the hip" sensation could be.

As always, thank you all very much!

Mike

P.S. I think the sensation is most prevalent in a small triangle aiming down on the outside of the thigh, starting at the top of the thigh at the bony part. I guess that's the top of the femur before the neck dives inside? I'm just guessing at all that. I guess I also feel it on the side/back of the glute close to that bone.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 02:54:12 PM by Miguelito »
RHR April 2012.
LHR March 2014.

Both Biomet Magnum/Recap 54/48, by Dr. Thomas Gross.

chuckm

Re: (Small) Concern about my operated hip
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2014, 04:08:31 PM »
Hi Mike, don't get excited. You are describing IT band sensation. It's a common area of discomfort among us. You might have had it way back after your first resurfacing. Remember when your good leg would have little aches and pains. Well, now you are reversed. Your resurfaced hip is your "good" side and it just got a little irritated from the new gait. Give it the foam roller and a good IT band stretch and see if it goes away.

Chuckm
Left BHR 11/30/12
Hospital for Special Surgery
46 years old

Juno

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2014, 05:07:31 PM »
Mike -- I agree with Chuck. You seem to be decribing IT band inflammation. Massage, stretching and rolling that foam roller up and down the outside of the thigh will hopefully help. I am sure having achilles tendonitis and being in a boot has thrown off your pelvis and hip on both sides. The body compensates -- but not without a price.  Hopefully once you have your second HR not only will your IT band issue resolve, but the achilles tendonitis will as well.

Best of luck!
Right resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 7/11/13
Left resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 12/11/13

obxpelican

• ~Welcome to SixBurgh~
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2014, 06:11:57 PM »
You got some good advice, although I would add try some ice and if you stomach can take them some advil, that helps with inflammation.

What you are describing is not uncommon.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

hernanu

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2014, 09:15:35 PM »
Hey Mike, since you have added an irritant (the cast) to the whole assembly (you), and it affects the way you walk, I'm sure it puts more of an onus on the operated hip to pick up the slack.

Since you're going in in two weeks, you must have had X-rays taken of the operated hip as well as the soon to be, so I'm sure the good Doctor would have noticed if there were a problem.

As chuck noted, ice, etc. Maybe use the foam roller to go over that area and see if you get relief.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 09:16:48 PM by hernanu »
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Miguelito

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2014, 04:57:00 PM »
Thank you all for your input! And yes Hernanu, there was a recent x-ray that the doctor would have noticed a problem with.

Your responses did more to re-assure me than anything a doctor could have said (especially one with a vested interest in the success of my procedure). I feel much more at ease now.

Mike
RHR April 2012.
LHR March 2014.

Both Biomet Magnum/Recap 54/48, by Dr. Thomas Gross.

Munch

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2014, 04:31:11 AM »
One silver lining to your timing of 2nd hip is that you will be taking it easy and taking anti inflammatories for a solid month so that is as good a way to overcome the tendonitis as any, I would think.  Best of luck..
Left hip resurfacing by Dr. Gross December 9, 2013
Right hip resurfacing by Dr. Gross December 11, 2013

Recent Posts

New to resurfacing wondering about surgeons by smartinny
Yesterday at 02:20:37 AM

Re: 9 years later and I think it's time for my other hip by imgetinold
September 17, 2020, 06:45:07 PM

Re: Need help finding a Surgeon by imgetinold
September 17, 2020, 06:40:18 PM

Re: 3 months post op with MAJOR problems by ahausheer
September 16, 2020, 05:18:14 AM

Advertisements