+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: 2/24/14 Left Hip BHR-Dr. Su HSS  (Read 2266 times)

HenryChloe14

2/24/14 Left Hip BHR-Dr. Su HSS
« on: February 19, 2014, 09:37:15 AM »
45 year old male in better than average shape, up until about a year ago able to run 3-5 miles a day, still to this day do cross fit/boot camp at gym (somewhat modified...no burpees and squats now)  and take spin classes and have done Spartan races, prob could stand to still loose 20lbs...going in for HR 2/24/14...pretty nervous since I've really never had any major surgery except gall bladder (emergency surgery) so really didn't have any chance to think about it...it was also done laparoscopy so no major incision or scar etc...nervous about what type of pain to except and if I'll be able to get back to my pre-bad hip self...any advise pointers would be great.
Also current level of pain is not that bad unless of course I'm running or working the hip, can't put shoe or sock on left foot that is the worst pain I have.

Miguelito

Re: 2/24/14 Left Hip BHR-Dr. Su HSS
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2014, 09:48:04 AM »
Hi Henry!

The best piece of advice I received is to stay ahead of the pain with medication post-surgery. While some people swear by having little pain post-surgery, I was not one of those people. When they offer you painkillers in the day post-surgery (especially) do not turn them down because it doesn't hurt yet. Stay ahead of the pain.

My longer term-advice is to be patient. There will be (hopefully very minor) setbacks. These will seem bigger at the time than they really are, but do not hesitate to reach out to your surgeon (or this board). Recovery from surgery takes awhile. The arthritis pain will be gone instantly, however.

I wish you a successful surgery and recovery!

Mike
RHR April 2012.
LHR March 2014.

Both Biomet Magnum/Recap 54/48, by Dr. Thomas Gross.

chuckm

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2014, 10:28:29 AM »
Hey Henry, I had my hip resurfaced at HSS in 2012. Great hospital. I didn't have any "pain" after surgery - except trying to lift the newly operated leg. That hurts. I did take pain medication for about ten days for what I would consider an ache that would creep in as the pain meds wore off. But I never felt that I was in pain.

Advice: bring several pillows to prop your backside up for the car ride home.

Recovery: you can return to 100% your old self, but that is up to you. Just don't do anything stupid and follow Dr. Su's instructions carefully. And if you want it to heal the fastest, you have to baby it for three months. It's going to start feeling good at four weeks but a lot of activity is just going to slow it down. keeping the jets cool can be harder than you think.

Chuckm
Left BHR 11/30/12
Hospital for Special Surgery
46 years old

ronjoe

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2014, 02:22:46 PM »
2/29/2014 Right Hip  BHR Dr F Boettner.

HSS, Hospital for Special Surgery, Manhattan, NY

I could have had a THR locally in NC for little out of pocket.  It took me months to socialize my questions, sift through all the pro, cons, information and controversy.

SurfaceHippy is a great resource but there were many other inputs and sources to contemplate.

After more than 10 months I came back to one of the first courses of action and decided on a friend's personal experience and choose the the same hospital and surgeon; resurfacing, HSS, and Dr F Boettner.

I've had many respond just as I had; why go to the added time, resources, and inconvenience and just do this locally?!  HSS, USN&WR's #1 Orthopedic Hospital.  Since I could afford the additional 3-5 thousand dollars how could I not afford myself, the best.

It's only been 4 weeks (February 28th  2014) since my resurfacing.  And while too soon to know the long term outcomes, the service and care and professionalism of everyone I encountered at HSS was top notch.  From the floor sweeper, the food pusher, care assistants, administrative and testing staff everyone is proud of their work and that they work at HSS, #1.

I needed two crutches for about 18 days.  And didn't begin reducing pain meds until about this same time. 

NARCOTICs Pain Meds are wonderful! HSS was great in educating, conditioning me to monitor pain and stay ahead.  While in the hospital this is happening every 3-6 hours.  Also in the hospital I was given stool softener, laxatives. KEY!?  CONSTIPATION!!! was by far my single most problem recovering at home!

Had a 3/24 followup that went well and one more 4/28 then should be good for a year.

Range of motion is the challenge.  Finding the right physical therapist is key.  Had good physical therapy experiences for the past 18 months.  Tried someone else last week and won't be going back there.

Resurfacings are relatively rare.  Nearly all (guessing more than 90%) get THRs.  Few PT's have the experience and need to find one that's willing to listen and learn and adapt.

My friend, after I had decided said, I'd be happy with my choice.  And I am, Happy!

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Yesterday at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear