+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: RUNNING PAIN!!! Advice Please...  (Read 18382 times)

kevmeikle

RUNNING PAIN!!! Advice Please...
« on: February 27, 2014, 06:06:20 AM »
Hello everyone, I'm new to the discussion group so apologies if this has already been covered elsewhere.

To give some background - I am 31 and had a BHR 2 1/2 years ago following a diagnosis of osteoarthritis when I was 16 which became too much to withstand. I am athletic, 6' 1" and weigh a fairly lean 220lbs. I currently train at a functional strength gym and cycle often without any pain or discomfort.

I'm preparing for a 10km assault course run; and whilst gym work (cross-fit style training 3 times/week) is going well and also cycling without any pain - following any running I'm experiencing extreme pain in hip. My conditioning is good so I have no problem doing the run (currently around 4-5kms) despite discomfort - but as soon as I stop the pain is intense

To describe the pain, I would liken it to the pain I experienced when my arthritis was at its worst or post-surgery pain. The only way to alleviate this is to take a lot of pain relief, have a bath then rest up. The following day the pain is gone.

The discussion group is full of success stories and positive messages but I wondered whether anyone else experiences this level of extreme discomfort following exercise and whether this could potentially be damaging in the long term?

Thanks kindly ahead of time for any responses

Best wishes,

Kev.

obxpelican

Re: RUNNING PAIN!!! Advice Please...
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2014, 09:01:00 AM »
We've had lots of people who worked themselves back into running and found themselves where you are. 

Take a couple of weeks off and work yourself back up to where you are now and see what happens.  Sounds like you have a major inflammation problem going on.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

kevmeikle

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2014, 10:04:35 AM »
Thanks Chuck, some good practical advice.

Best wishes,

Kev.

China Lady

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2014, 08:35:52 AM »
go to the doc, make a x-ray. better be safe than sorry. we can talk, but nobody knows for sure. I hope everything will be right!
..... I will find out

Arrojo

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2014, 08:00:31 PM »
Assuming all is well with the implant, x-ray wise, consider getting your soft tissues worked on.  I personally prefer Active Release Technique, but deep tissue massages can help as well.  The scar tissue from the surgery is very real and builds up - you have to get rid of it by breaking it up.

Good luck!
Dr. Su
RBHR 4/9/12

Baby Barista

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2014, 07:34:18 PM »
It's really disappointing that there hasn't been much research in this area.

When I run, my left hip becomes painful after about a mile. My right hip (newer than the left) is fine when I run. I've been trying to build up, but haven't seen any progress. What I feel is a an intense, but dull ache. It subsides fairly quickly after I run, and within a few hours, resolves entirely.

I recently had my annual checkup with Dr. Pritchett and discussed this with him. All of my xrays are normal, and excluding the running, the hip is performing well. So what's the problem? He says there is a fair percentage of people who experience this, caused by effusion in the hip capsule (fluid swelling). He says it's due to a localized tissue reaction to the increased cobalt level in the joint, which spikes when we run (for obvious reasons). The body can't keep up with processing and excreting it.

Now you may be asking, "why doesn't your other hip hurt then when you run?" I asked the same question. Dr. Pritchett says (as I think all of us bi-lats know) that no two hips are alike. One may have a greater tolerance for the cobalt. It may also (for reasons no clear to doctors) be able to more readily prepare it for export to the bloodstream, and onto your kidneys.

All of this to say, there's not a great answer. And your problem may be unrelated to this. I keep hoping I'll turn the corner. I'd love to be able to crank out 3-5 miles pain free. Good luck.
LBHR Pritchett 01/23/12 - 52mm head, 58mm cup
RBHR Pritchett 12/10/12 - 52mm head, 58mm cup

chuckm

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2014, 09:14:38 AM »
Hi folks, I'm 15 months post op for my left BHR. I too have experienced a strong ache that comes on during intense physical activity. Right now it is directly related to the intensity and duration. I don't think it is related to ions at all.

When I first began a walking regimen at the three month mark, going up hills used to bring on an intense ache. A few minutes of rest would resolve it but if I continued right away the ache would occur even sooner. Over time that ache diminished during my walks as my endurance improved.

As my athletic abilities improve, I am able to increase the time and intensity before that ache creeps in. Right now it happens playing soccer (only when it is a competitive match) after about 70 to 80 minutes. It used to happen sooner.

If I compare the most recent ache to the ache I had at the three month mark, it is not any different. That ache just the same will have me limping and if I continue the limp becomes very marked. One time that ache lasted 2-1/2 hours after I stopped. But once it was gone that was it. The most recent onset(yesterday) it came on after 70 minutes of intense soccer but the ache went away after about 30 minutes of rest - not hours. That is a definite improvement. 

Does the body improve its ability to handle a spike in ion release or is this ache really a muscular endurance issue? I think it is the latter.

If I can work my endurance so the ache never occurs I'll post on that.

Chuckm

Left BHR 11/30/12
Hospital for Special Surgery
46 years old

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2014, 11:59:56 AM »
I believe a 30 min non impact or low impact warm up is important to us hippies prior to running. I think this will suck in more synovial fluid and really separate the 2 components. This will cushion the device more and lower wear associated with impact. Only a theory but I think it has merit.
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

einreb

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2014, 03:26:36 PM »
Have you read this writeup?

http://www.hipresurfacingsite.com/Patient-Articles/20090405422/Patients/Running-Cory-Foulk/menu-id-62.html

I suspect everyone is different.  I limit my running to 3-5 miles and don't have any significant issues 3 years post op.  However, I don't run that often... I bike a lot though
40yo at the time of my 2/16/2011 left hip uncemented Biomet resurface with Tri Spike Acetabular cup by Gross

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2014, 04:12:37 PM »
Nope I'll have a read mate :)
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2014, 04:14:57 PM »
Well Corey puts it better than me!! ;)
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

chuckm

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2014, 08:24:14 AM »
Einreb, very interesting article and very convincing too. I am certainly going to rethink what causes this pain. Mr. Foulk admits it is his own theory but I am going to try his advice on warm-up and see if I improve.
Thanks for posting that.

Chuckm
Left BHR 11/30/12
46 years old

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2014, 12:40:10 PM »
It does make sense. Hence why I thought of the same thing. The bhr only has contact at rest. Movement sucks synovial fluid into the clearance space like it was designed. A good warm up gets your joints to produce more fluid and it will get sucked in and clear the components giving some cushioning and lower wear.
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

chuckm

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2014, 04:57:57 PM »
I found this article. It says two studies show that metal ion shedding has little relation to activity level. That is counter to Dr. Pritchett and Cory Foulk who say that activity increases metal ion shedding. Well, Cory Foulk says increase in metal ions and Dr. Pritchett (according to Baby Barista) says increase in cobalt level. Maybe that is the same thing.

The fact is I am leaning toward Cory Foulk and Dr. Pritchett, but who do you believe with this stuff.

http://www.healio.com/orthopedics/journals/ortho/%7Bfa95d324-0e22-4667-b99e-bfdbbaadcfd1%7D/shedding-ions

Chuckm
Left BHR 11/30/12
46 years old

oldsoccerplayer

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2014, 04:34:49 PM »
I'm 10 months post op and have been struggling with increased pain and discomfort over the last 3 - 4  weeks after feeling pain free just before that. I went back to most activities in March but was still taking it easy and have gradually (or not so gradually) ratcheted it up since then. It seems like the regression came with the higher level of activity, 2 things come to mind;
i) going full out at my weekly soccer game
ii) taking a heavier weight at the weekly kettlebells class. This week I went down to a lighter weight and while still a bit sore I don't think it's as bad as it was.

For now I'm attributing it to not respecting the difference between "can" and "should" and hoping that this will improve over time as most symptoms have. I've tried the foam roller but think I didn't get the technique right and maybe aggravated the situation.
Like everyone I'd really like to know the cause and make the necessary adjustments.
BioMet Left Hip Resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 07/2013

chuckm

« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2014, 09:25:55 AM »
Oldsoccerplayer, playing soccer never bothered my hip except for the late deep ache that we are posting about here. All my other joints and muscles were hurting, never the hip. But the kettle bell class sounds like that could really be the culprit. I think you are on the right track that you should back off from that until you are pain free.

Chuckm
Left BHR 11/30/12
46 years old

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2014, 03:16:51 PM »
In the past when I over did it with kettlebells it hurt my soft tissues around my hip.
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

23109VC

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2015, 11:53:12 PM »
I know this is an old thread...but I haven't been here in a while..was reading this section, and thought I'd add my thoughts....

I am 4 years post op.  I pretty much can do anything I want..but the ONLY activity that has bothered my new hip is running.  I can RUN...  and I can run fast if I need to, but I cannot run for a long distance that well.  If I go for a job...  at about the 3/4 to 1 mile mark, I start to notice pain in my hip area... it doesn't really feel like the joint.. but it's in the overal general area. 

the second I stop running.the pain quickly goes away completely.  If I start up runnning again... the pain doesn't come on immediatly, but it comes on again within a short distance.

I don't really like to run a lot..but if I do..I usually run like 1/4 or 1/2 mile and stop to stretch out for 30 seconds at a time..then resume running.. I can go further like this.  i once did a 5k....but at the end og hte 5k my hiop was kind of aching...  but once I quit runing it pretty quickly went back to feeling normal.  next day, not a thing is felt.

I can bicycle no problem.  I have done "long" rides..long for me.. like 20-25 miles of going fast..like 15-16mph the entire time... fast for me... and no hip pain at all.  I've played baseketball, racquetball, no pain.

just the sustained runin bothers me.

any idea what it really is and is there a way to get byond it or is this just a permanent limitation of our hips?
Sean
Dr. Gross- Left Hip - 2/23/11, Right Hip 7/19/23

chuckm

« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2015, 11:43:56 AM »
just the sustained runin bothers me.

any idea what it really is and is there a way to get byond it or is this just a permanent limitation of our hips?

I've sure you have read through some of the previous posts. There has been discussion on this. I had posted previously on this topic an article about a study that claimed that cobalt levels in marathon runners with resurfacing did not change with activity. That article no longer exists on that site so I'm doubting its veracity.

The leading theory in my opinion comes from Baby Barista who quoted his surgeon, Dr. Pritchett. He said that the pain is due to increased cobalt levels that spike right in the fluid around the hip during activity. This can cause a local tissue reaction in some people. The body works to excrete the high levels of cobalt and the pain subsides as the levels drop.

I have the same issue with pain as well - but only sometimes. In 2013 I ran in a 5K pain free at 11 months post op. A year later in 2014 I ran in the same 5K coming into the race more fit. But the pain began at about the one mile mark and I had to walk several times just to finish the event. My time was much worse than the previous year. That defied explanation.

Cory Foulk, a well known Iron Man competitor explains he had problems with pain during running due to ions shedding (increased cobalt levels). He says he found a way to fix the problem in that a proper warm-up is the key to running pain free. See earlier post for a link to that.  I tried many different variations of warm ups as he describes. Warming up had no effect for me on my pain during running.

Aside from my one 5K-a-year endeavor, my activities include competitive soccer which I returned to six months after my resurfacing. Invariably if I were in a match more than 60 minutes, I would start to get that deep ache and I was in pain for up to a couple of hours after. But this year I started watching my hydration in the days before a match. The more consistent I stayed properly hydrated, the better my hip remained pain free during soccer (regardless of whether I used the Cory Foulk warm-up or not).

Just recently, playing pickup indoor soccer, the pain started creeping in at about the one hour mark. I immediately left the pitch and grabbed some water - a lot of water. I quickly drank at least a 16 oz bottle and then a little more from a second bottle. I waited a few minutes, stretched a bit and then returned to the pitch. The pain was gone and did not return.

So maybe there is a correlation between fitness, proper hydration, and personal tolerances to spikes in the cobalt levels that play a role in pain during running. If you have no idea what your hydration has been the days before you try and run you could find yourself in pain.

Chuckm

Left BHR 11/30/12
46 years old

shoraztri

« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2015, 04:07:54 PM »
Hi chuckm,
Your Post was well written , informative and concise. I am very interested in it , as soon-[July this year], I will return to full on Run training , for my sport of Triathlon . Its interesting to see the correlation between water /hydration and pain. Im sure its a very, very valid point and one that holds alot of substance and truth . I keep well hydrated , and also use a set of TANITA SCALES , MODEL BC 545N,.to monitor Water %.  :P . These scales give, amongst alot of other info, your hydration %.
Thanks , Cheers,  :)
LHBHR. 7 JULY 2014. DR. HUGH BLACKLEY. SOUTHERN CROSS HOSPITAL, NORTH SHORE, NZ.
Fem Head 50.  Cup Size 56.  D.O.B. 03/1952.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat