+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Protecting the scar with some padding when cycling outdoors?  (Read 10869 times)

whyme

Protecting the scar with some padding when cycling outdoors?
« on: March 01, 2014, 05:30:16 PM »
Hi,
I've waited 6 months before cycling outdoors (just to avoid a potential fall and complications). Now I'm starting but a bit concerned in case I fall on the operated side, as the scar is still sensitive (for example, it's not comfortable sleeping on that side).
Should I protect the scar with some padding for a while?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 05:31:03 PM by whyme »
Left hip resurfacing (Conserve Plus) 2013-09-04
Dr. De Smet

moe

Re: Protecting the scar with some padding when cycling outdoors?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2014, 06:07:53 PM »
Hi, good question, I've been researching this since I crashed and broke my femur recently. There are a number of companies making protective padded shorts or liners. The best liners are made by a Swedish company called POC. They are not cheap but may be worth it. They may have saved me much pain.

I'm a bit surprised your scar still bothers you at 6 months. Perhaps it needs some massaging to break up the scar tissue. Good luck.

Moe
Bi-lateral, BHR, Dr Marchand. 7-13-09

whyme

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2014, 07:59:34 AM »
Thanks Moe,
I see, the "Hip VPD 2.0 Shorts" from poc sports dot com... I will investigate and will post up if/when I get a pair (from this or another brand). Ideally the hip padded shorts would be already cycling shorts, otherwise I'd have to put the cycling shorts on top and might not be comfortable.

I do road cycling, so a fall would be always on a hard surface.

This is for psychological reassurance, but also physical protection, I'm quite thin and don't have much "padding" on my hips at all... I fell on the other hip 2 years ago, going quite slow in a roundabout (it was wet), it did hurt but there were no other consequences than having a 5 cm spot around the hip like if it was rubbed with sand paper :-) I wouldn't like that happening around the scar...

I haven't done any massage at all since the surgery, never felt the need as it has recovered naturally quite well, but maybe you're right.
The scar has looked good from the beginning, but after 3 months or so it showed signs of queloid forming, in spite of using these gel patches you buy at the pharmacy since 4 weeks post op for around 10 weeks. So now it is mostly ok but a small section (3-4cm long) has formed a queloid (not too bad though).
Left hip resurfacing (Conserve Plus) 2013-09-04
Dr. De Smet

Anna

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2014, 02:51:54 PM »
Thanks for this post. I sill worry about cycling and whether I should be protecting my hips more too! ... especially after hearing about your fall moe. I hope you are doing well with your recovery??

I will also be looking into purchasing some of these shorts.

Anna
RTHR - 08/08/2013 -Mr johan witt, London

moe

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2014, 12:59:22 PM »
I am doing well Anna, finally walking sans cane. Lot's of rehab (deja vu!) and working hard to lose a bit of a limp.  Take care, moe

Gino_Tortellini

• "Keep your tire spinnin!" - Me
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2014, 12:10:25 AM »
Ya, I also started researching hip padding for cyclists after reading Moe's story. I've been riding with a MSR padded motorcycle short but I wanted the best available.

So, I purchased the POC VPD 2.0 bicycle short. They make a similar short for skiing without the chamois so be sure to get the bike version.

The hip pad material is two layers and is dense, thick and flexible. It does spread impact when you test hit it which is how they designed it. I wear a MTB long short over so the pads are not noticeable.

From POC Website:
"The VPD (Visco-Elastic Polymer Dough) range offers extreme shock absorption, which has given POC a completely new approach to developing body armor. 
VPD is highly impact absorbent, comfortable and adapts to create an individual fit. Due to its high level of protection and the ability to transition from soft to hard during impact, you don’t have to choose between safety and flexibility."
Dr. Gross / Biomet Recap Uncemented / Bi Lat / Dec 3 & 5, 2012 / @48 1/2 yrs due Cam FAI

moe

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2014, 01:09:25 PM »
Hi Gino, after you have used the POC liners for a while could you give us an update on how they feel while riding, do they interfere while pedaling etc. Did you buy them online from POC?

Thanks, moe

Gino_Tortellini

• "Keep your tire spinnin!" - Me
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2014, 09:28:49 PM »
I have several rides with the POC VPD 2.0 Bike Short and they work/feel great. One observation is that they are not very long in the sleeve. I wear MTB Shorts over them so not obvious. If I were a roadie and wore the bike short only I think I would look like a MMA Fighter, LOL! I am in the Phoenix area and the added padding is not any hotter than my old bike shorts. The VPD material is in the perfect area for my surgical scars. Seems to me the chamois could cover a bigger area of behind. I've been upping my mileage and had to add Chamois Butter to my pre ride ritual, ouch!

My son works at a bike shop and he ordered these for me. They were out of stock on the medium for several weeks.

Highly recommend for MTB type riding.
Dr. Gross / Biomet Recap Uncemented / Bi Lat / Dec 3 & 5, 2012 / @48 1/2 yrs due Cam FAI

moe

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2014, 07:26:00 AM »
Thanks for the review Gino, the length is not an issue for me as I would wear them under MTB shorts also. Sounds like a good investment.

kleary12

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2014, 02:01:39 PM »
Wow--good to know about these.  I've been very concerned about what a fall could do to my hip as I have no padding at all in my hip area.  They don't look unisex, but under my normal bike shorts, they might work.  (PS, it's nearly a year later for me and my incision is still sensitive...)

moe

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2014, 04:45:41 PM »
Hi kleary12, I posted a review of another brand of protective shorts in the mountain biking section under "G-form shorts".

moe

kleary12

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2015, 12:52:38 PM »
hey Moe--I've just been posting my anecdotal review of the POC VPD 2.0.

Because I finally fell! I'm one of those weird people who never falls, never gets a flat (and in cars, never a flat, never ran out of gas...)--should I be knocking on wood everywhere or am I just super careful?  Don't know.

Here's what happened:

While I did cycle some during recovery, I have started real road riding again (left BHR Sept 2013) and had concerns about falling on my hip. I read in one of these posts about POC VPD shorts (maybe it was you Moe!) and got some for peace of mind.  I wear them over my normal bike shorts because I don't want to interfere with the padding.  It looks mildly funky, but after the indignities of hip surgeries and crutches and all, who cares.  I don't find them uncomfortable or restrictive at all.

Now here's the thing--in 8 years of riding, I had never fallen--seriously, never, always successfully caught myself in time.  But this past weekend, I went straight over, smack onto my left resurfaced hip (and apparently fell perfectly because I never let go of my handlebar grip; was avoiding very fast motorcycles that appeared out of nowhere while crossing a street; had a partly clipped in, strongly breaking thing occur so fast I didn't know what happened).  And, I had ZERO pain, none at all.  It was like nothing happened!  Well, actually, my left hand became really sore, but is now clearing up after some icing.  I was so relieved and I LOVE my VPD shorts. I highly recommend them.

(Mind you, I know this wasn't a high speed crash--but I do feel much more confident now thatI have these shorts.)

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat