+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Thigh pain outer thigh closer to the knee  (Read 8495 times)

cisco.leon

Thigh pain outer thigh closer to the knee
« on: March 02, 2014, 01:46:10 AM »
2 weeks post op have been able to walk a mile or two on crutches. But last 3-4 days the pain in my outer thigh from just above my knee to the side of my left knee is pretty bad :(

I can't get full flex on my quad without sharp pain.

Anyone had this? My muscle is starting to atrophy.

I'm 33 with my left hip resurfaced 2/14/14.

My joint feels ok. There is a slipping sensation not painful but unsettling regardless. I've been told that's normal early on so not worried.

I'm pretty fit and worked hard on my muscles pre-op the pain in my outer thigh is not ON the incision but just after the bottom end of the incision.

Anyone else experience this?

whyme

Re: Thigh pain outer thigh closer to the knee
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2014, 08:10:25 AM »
Hi, this looks like ITB (IlioTibial Band) irritation, I personally haven't had it after surgery, but it was one of the things that bothered me most before the HR.
I think the incision cuts through (or along) the ITB band and other structures to get to the hip capsule, so it could be a natural reaction to that, or slight nerve sensitivity after surgery.

In my opinion you shouldn't worry too much, 2 weeks is still very early days, but if it persists surely you should contact your surgeon.

Don't worry, your muscle won't atrophy, it probably has atrophied quite a bit before surgery anyway, gradually over time with the onset of arthritis... Now you will recover from it!

What you mention about full flex on your quad, you shouldn't fully flex your quad at 2 weeks!! At least my surgeon and many others (if not all) impose clear restrictions to hip flexion (the 90 degree rule) for a minimum of 6 weeks, and then, only then, start to work on it a bit more.
I haven't forced flexion at all even now, at 6 months post, and recovered most of the natural flexion gradually over time with exercise and daily activities.
Left hip resurfacing (Conserve Plus) 2013-09-04
Dr. De Smet

China Lady

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2014, 09:21:44 AM »
I am now 8 weeks after surgery. both sides in one theater time. my left side feels 100% fine. nothing at all disturbing. my right side is more sensitive. I have muscle itches here and there sometimes. this itches move around. I know it is only a muscle problem and the implant is fine. I stopped to worry about them, makes no sense.
slow down, take it easy. this is not a race or competition. each of us has his/her own time and recovery issues.
yesterday, for the first time in 2 month I was able to go into the bathtub; and for the first time in 2 month I could slip in my shoes and close the laces.
you wrote about preparing yourself best for surgery, now you need to learn how to be patience. this is harder, believe me 
..... I will find out

obxpelican

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2014, 10:33:25 AM »
You are just a few weeks out of surgery, you are going to have some pain still, it's quite normal. Your body is just beginning to heal. 

Ice that area, listen to your body, don't push it but don't lay around either, if your body allows some walking do so.  If you are allowed to take advil do so with food that will relieve any inflammation.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

chuckm

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2014, 12:39:34 PM »
Cisco.leon - I remember that pain vividly. I remember there wasn't anything that would improve it. Ice didn't help, stretching, rolling. I think it is swelling from the incision above that settles down just above the knee on the outside. To me it felt like a fresh Charlie horse right there. Plus the skin was really sensitive too.
It was totally gone I think at 4-6 weeks.
If you are worried about atrophy just do leg sets where you tighten the thigh with straight leg.

Chuckm
Left BHR 11/30/12
Hospital for Special Surgery
46 years old

HowieF-16

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2014, 10:18:08 PM »
I am seven weeks out and can recall similar pain in the same location in the timeframe you are referencing.  Mine began as I started walking...first with the walker and then with the cane.  It is the IT Band and there are other posts in various discussion groups that address it.  The most common therapy is to roll your IT Band with a foam roller.  This is very difficult to do, until you have enough strength to lay on your side, on top of a foam roller to actually do the exercise.  There is a video on YouTube on how to "self-massage" your IT Band and it provided me with a little relief.  I was unable to roll my IT Band until about the four week period and then I was rolling it twice a day and applying heat to loosen it up.  There is another option.  If you are working with a Physical Therapist, they can hand massage the area in an attempt to loosen it up.  Fair warning...IT HURTS!  When my therapist first massaged my IT Band, all I could take was about 20 seconds at a time, before I had to grab his hand and stop.  In the near term, I recommend ice as often as you can, until you can try some of the recommended stretching exercises to loosen the area up.  Good luck and welcome to the club.
RBHR, Dr. Raterman, 1-8-14

cisco.leon

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2014, 07:17:13 PM »
Thanks for all your responses I'm relived it is a normal pain.

Here is my official response from my surgeon's assistant physician:

"Hi Francisco,

It sounds like your IT band is very tight.  Your IT band is a thick tendon that runs down the side of your leg and tends to get very sore after surgery due to lack of movement and tightness.  You can stretch it out by doing the figure 4 stretch ,where you lay on your back, bring your heal towards your butt and bring the knee to the outside (you can see the pictures and explanation at Dr. Su's website hipresurfacingnewyork.com).
As for the slipping sensation, it is a very common feeling and is mainly due to the inflammation around the joint.  It is likely coming from the capsule rubbing against the implant.  It can be a little unsettling but it is very common and will start to get better over the next month.
All these symptoms you are experiencing are very common and aren't alarming.  They will get better with time, so try to continue to stretch and work with PT.
Let me know if there is anything else."

Its 3 weeks tomorrow and today I started on stationary bike (no resistance) did some lat pull downs and went home exhausted haha

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat