+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Rehabilitation two weeks post op  (Read 2307 times)

Deetas

Rehabilitation two weeks post op
« on: March 03, 2014, 03:54:52 AM »
Hi all,

Firstly, thanks to Pat and you all the fantastic information you have contributed to this site.
With out a doubt this is what helped me to make the decision to have the op, which I did on Feb 14.

Like many of you at two weeks post op, I am feeling great and am pain free...wow!

My question/ comment relates to the vast differences in rehab protocol that I read.

I have been told to be as inactive as possible for 12 weeks(apart from performing the physio exercises). My surgeon's justification for this is very convincing and the thought of fracturing my femur is motivation enough to keep me vertical, not to mention the idea of dislocation!. However, I have to admit to feeling a little jealous when I hear of people getting moving much sooner after surgery.

I will surely follow my surgeons protocol - how could I not - he has given me this fabulous new hip!

I just thought I'd throw it out there for comment as I am an active person and am secretly champing at the bit to get moving.....
I'd much appreciate any one sharing their thoughts on this.
Thanks!
Dee

China Lady

Re: Rehabilitation two weeks post op
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2014, 07:11:54 AM »
Hi Dee! congratulation! you are on the other side.
some are man, some are women, some are young, some are older, some are sportive, some are not. everybody has an injured bone; or two.
more or less its depends on age and gender, a bone heals faster or not. but as a "thumb rule" a bone needs 12 weeks to heal.
I am female, 56 years, non sportive ........ I walk the secure/slow walk, I take my time to heal. I am 8 weeks past surgery and mostly I have been a couch potato. the next 4 weeks I will be more active and again, train my patience a little more.
you know; my greatest success this week was to take a bath in the bathtub and I am able to pull on my socks with my own hands.
I don't compare myself with somebody who can run 2 km/8 weeks after surgery. I am happy with the things I can reach in my life
..... I will find out

obxpelican

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2014, 02:31:43 PM »
Generally you won't fracture your femoral neck after 6 months, it's best to avoid high impact activities until after 1 year.

I say generally because some doctors are more or less strict.

It's best not compare yourself to others, woman have a higher rate of fracture so it's better to play it safe and frankly I think those that go against their doctors orders are fools.

BTW--- walking is one of the best activities.

Chuck

Hi all,

Firstly, thanks to Pat and you all the fantastic information you have contributed to this site.
With out a doubt this is what helped me to make the decision to have the op, which I did on Feb 14.

Like many of you at two weeks post op, I am feeling great and am pain free...wow!

My question/ comment relates to the vast differences in rehab protocol that I read.

I have been told to be as inactive as possible for 12 weeks(apart from performing the physio exercises). My surgeon's justification for this is very convincing and the thought of fracturing my femur is motivation enough to keep me vertical, not to mention the idea of dislocation!. However, I have to admit to feeling a little jealous when I hear of people getting moving much sooner after surgery.

I will surely follow my surgeons protocol - how could I not - he has given me this fabulous new hip!

I just thought I'd throw it out there for comment as I am an active person and am secretly champing at the bit to get moving.....
I'd much appreciate any one sharing their thoughts on this.
Thanks!
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

Deetas

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2014, 07:52:17 PM »
Thanks both for your reply and yes the I will follow the doctor's instructions.
Such a strange feeling to feel so well but be so unable to do things...... not complaining though - so grateful for my shiny new hip and time off to recover!

Chuck - you say walking is the best thing. Is this because it is functional and it is preparing you to walk well in the future? Do you mean just frequent short walks?

China Lady - I agree with you and I too have been spending quite a bit of time on the couch! Also It looks like we had the same surgeon. I hope you had the same positive experience that I had. Good luck with your bilateral. Wow I can't even imagine how you manage that :)

Thanks again both!
Dee
Dee

China Lady

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2014, 03:10:36 AM »
I am very happy with Dr. Brockwell!
..... I will find out

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear