+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Cross-linked poly on metal implants  (Read 7412 times)

skiking

Cross-linked poly on metal implants
« on: March 04, 2014, 08:32:35 PM »
I'm a male 5-6''-140lbs who backcountry skis and bikes over 100 days /year each. I've done considerable research on manufacturers and devices, and had decided on a BHR until my surgeon suggested I consider an implant with cross-linked polyethylene on metal bearing (this one made by EndoTec.)  These were developed for women who couldn't have MoM implants due to smaller sizing, and have been expanded up to 49mm femurs due to concerns of metallosis with femurs less than 50mm.  He suggested it because I'm a smaller male and my estimated femur implant size is 47mm (or 48 with BHR because of their 2mm sizing).  The poly is the same material used in total hips.  He claims that the risk of dislocation is nil because of ball size, the risk of wear is almost nil (.028mm/year -the poly bearing is 4mm thick) because of ball size, and he's never heard of the poly failing due to fracture, etc.  The femur and cup are porous coated titanium and neither is cemented.  The poly bearing is mounted in the cup, and can be replaced if necessary (although it requires hip dislocation). Has anyone had this or any type of cross-linked poly resurfacing implant, or know of anyone who has?  I can't find much info other than EndoTec's website and my surgeon.  BTW, he's done over 2,000 resurfacings in the past 30 years, has published papers on metallosis and the poly implants that can be read online, and will install whichever device I prefer.  Thanks!
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 08:20:55 PM by skiking »

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Cross-linked poly on metal implants
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2014, 09:13:08 PM »
Hi

Welcome to Hip Talk.  Is your surgeon Dr. Pritchett?  There are a handful of Pritchett patients here. 

Here are a few of their stories

http://surfacehippy.info/hipresurfacing/stories/dr-pritchett

I have not read anything negative about the device or his surgical skills.  His patients seem happy with their outcomes.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

chuckm

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2014, 08:04:11 PM »
Hey Skiking, sorry I can't help with information on that device. I was just wondering your age?

Chuckm
Left BHR 11/30/12
Hospital for Special Surgery
46 years old

skiking

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2014, 08:14:12 PM »
Chuck,  I just turned 60 years young.  Yes, Pat, Dr. Pritchett. 
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 08:18:18 PM by skiking »

brianflanagan

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2018, 05:49:38 AM »
Hi Skiking,

I would be interested by your feedback ! :-)

How are you now ?
Is everything fine with your new hip ?

Thanks
Left hip 11/03/2018 - Dr Chris Whately

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat