+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Ice machine or ice bags  (Read 8459 times)

Debcoco

Ice machine or ice bags
« on: March 14, 2014, 05:44:52 PM »
Ice bags
RBHR, Dr. Richard Sellers, 04 DEC 13

grapesintx

Re: Ice machine or ice bags
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2014, 09:05:03 PM »
If I had it to do over again...I'd save the $250 and use ice bags!
RHR Biomet Tri-Spike Magnum 50/44  Dr Gross  1/22/14

Beth

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2014, 09:38:51 PM »
Ice bags.
Since my surgery I have used 2 ColPaC brand cold packs that I ordered from Amazon. They are made of black polyurethane 12.5" x 18.5" in size and made of a gel that remains pliable. They stay cold for several hours. (I put them in a flannel pillow case before using)
2/17/2014 RBHR Dr Brooks Cleveland Clinic
52mm cup  46mm head
LBHR planned for 6/19/2015: CANCELLED

Miguelito

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2014, 12:48:07 AM »
Polar care cooler ice machine. But since i just went bilateral i get to prorate the cost to two. I like the cooler a lot but it is my wonderful wife that fills it. If had to do myself i couldn't manage. Certainly not for the first week.
Mike
RHR April 2012.
LHR March 2014.

Both Biomet Magnum/Recap 54/48, by Dr. Thomas Gross.

oldsoccerplayer

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2014, 01:34:30 PM »
I liked having the Polar machine. I checked it in with the hospital staff before the surgery then woke up in the recovery room with it already attached. That said, the cost of a new one is outrageous. I got mine on ebay for about a third of the cost then resold it for less to another hippie getting ready for surgery a couple of months later.
BioMet Left Hip Resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 07/2013

Debcoco

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2014, 11:04:31 PM »
Thank-you all for your replies. 

My opinion, I am glad I didn't require one for recovery due to the fact that I was up and down quite a bit and I cannot imagine having to hook and unhook the ice machine. 

I wonder why some Dr's recommend it and others do not?  I keep thinking it might have something to do with having an epidural.  From what I've read in the posts, those who have had an epidural seem more likely than not to use ice machines ...just my hypothesis.
RBHR, Dr. Richard Sellers, 04 DEC 13

tlh29276

• Dr Su -HSS NYC Right hip resurfacing 5/4/18
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2018, 05:31:52 PM »
Neither were necessary or prescribed.

MarvinB

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2021, 04:58:15 PM »
DEFINITELY, the Polar Care machine.  It became my new best friend, even before the surgery.  I plan on using that sucker after yardwork this summer!!
MarvinB
-RH Biomet U/C by Dr. Gross and Lee Webb 1/4/21
Ready for fun in ‘21!

imgetinold

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2021, 09:33:24 AM »
I'm a big fan of the Polar Care machine, but it does require a caregiver to help for at least the first week....maybe two.
Andy
- Right Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 1/11/2012
- Left Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 10/28/2020

BOILER UP!

dannythebeerman

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2021, 11:00:43 AM »
I borrowed most all my medical equipment from family and friends, plenty of this stuff sitting in closets. 

I used a Donjoy Iceman and bought a Breg pad.  Had to swap a connector off of a donjoy pad to make the water connections.  I found no risk off frostbite using this, ice bags can be colder, but coverage, mass of cooling matter and avoiding dampness matters.  It was very handy for traveling in car, I had an 8hr ride home and the stores associated with gas stations accommodated free ice just by asking.

The Donjoy comes with a 9v dc transformer but will work off of 12V transformer.  For use in a car if I had a heavy duty 12vdc to 110vac power inverter I would have used one.  I fried a small 70watt inverter that plugged into the cigarette lighter and ended up using a 9v dc car adapter for a breast pump, but a 12vdc should work too, just need the right connectors.

I had swelling down my leg so when I got home and had access to a freezer I was using ice bags too, have a backup!
« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 07:41:50 PM by dannythebeerman »
~Danny Hahn

July 2020 Biomet Magnum Trispike, Dr Gross. Needed 5cm3 bone graft behind acetabular cup.  That's a whole lot of packed in bone dust I pray heals.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat