+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: LHR scheduled for Thursday with Dr. Su  (Read 2088 times)

Vinman

LHR scheduled for Thursday with Dr. Su
« on: March 15, 2014, 08:08:03 PM »
Hi All,

I have been "lurking" as on member puts it on the site since December of last year after being diagnosed with avascular necrosis in my left hip in September.   It's been a long journey of analysis, many doctors and many opinions.   There was hope for a core decompression to prevent femoral collapse but unfortunately slight collapse occurred and most of the doctors concur that further collapse is inevitable.  Seems to only way to move forward is resurfacing or hip replacement.  Thanks to this site, I was able to find out about hip resurfacing and ultimately was led to Dr. Su.   I saw him this past Monday and he had an opening on his surgery schedule for this Thursday.  I booked it, did pre op yesterday at HSS and am ready to go.  The whole thing has happened very quickly which I am looking at as a good thing so I don't have too much time to think about the procedure and recovery.  At the same time I'm worried that I don't know what I'm getting myself into and that I don't have a lot of time to prepare physically.   Interestingly enough my hip felt better the last couple of days and I thought I made a bad decision to move forward but was reminded today for sure.  My pain is not horrible but it's hard to describe and kind of all over the place, I'm limping and I can't do the things I used to (don't even want to try for fear of hurting more).  I'm a 38 year old male (if you couldn't tell by vinman) and I can't tell you how annoying and frustrating is is when people tell me - oh you are so young for this.  Being young obviously makes me nervous about the future as well.   All in all, I am almost at peace with my decision but hoping I will become even more at peace over the next few days.  I'll keep everyone here posted on my progress.  Thank you Pat for putting together a great site and to all of the contributors.

Vince
« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 08:13:13 PM by Vinman »

China Lady

Re: LHR scheduled for Thursday with Dr. Su
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2014, 06:05:38 AM »
dont be afraid, you are in good hands. stay focused on a future without pain! the first 1-2 weeks are a little bit rough until you feel comfortable again. the worst thing for me was to ask for help in daily life. now, 10 weeks out I am very happy! you will be happy again too! thumps up!
..... I will find out

HowieF-16

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2014, 10:24:07 AM »
Vince,
We play the cards we are dealt and it looks like you are playing them very well.  Be patient in rehab and recovery.  Don't overdo it (my big lesson learned) and remember from Thursday forward, your hip will be better than before.  Good luck.
RBHR, Dr. Raterman, 1-8-14

keepmovin

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2014, 07:47:34 PM »
Vince,

As Howie pointed out, we play the hand we are dealt, and sometimes it's just a difficult hand to play and one we wish could have been different.

You're young, sound healthy, and in extremely good hands with Dr. Su.  Your bad hand couldn't have better support. 

Don't rush your recovery, concentrate gaining strength back, and I am sure you'll be pleasantly surprised in the months ahead!
LBHR - HSS, Dr. Su, 4/11/2011
RBHR - HSS, Dr. Su,  10/17/2013

oldsoccerplayer

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2014, 11:48:21 AM »
It's easy to fall into the trap of second-guessing yourself, and we've seen some people cancel scheduled surgery. You're lucky that you have a very short waiting period and that there's little doubt in your mind that you're doing the right thing. If the experience of almost everyone on this site is anything to go by, one year from now you'll be back in action pain-free, and congratulating yourself for making the right decision.
Keep us posted.
BioMet Left Hip Resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 07/2013

Vinman

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2014, 08:19:34 PM »
Thanks all for the encouragement.  It's crazy how you go in and out of doubt...at least that's how it's been for me.  Today my left hip feels not so bad and believe it or not my right one is acting up.  It is a different kind of pain (I think it's bursitis) and it's been that way for a while but now am worried that right one will be hurting after all this is done.  I am hoping issue is just related to how I have been walking and according to MRI three weeks ago no indication of avascular necrosis.  Bottom line is I am trying to shut this all out and just get ready for Thursday and take it as it comes but it is not easy preparing for this mentally.  Thanks again all.  Will keep everyone posted.

hernanu

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2014, 09:26:41 PM »
Good luck Vince, Dr. Su is very good, amazingly quick schedule.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal