+-

Author Topic: St. Patricks day hip resurfacing  (Read 2696 times)

lttez

• Dr. brooks RIght hip resurfacing
St. Patricks day hip resurfacing
« on: March 18, 2014, 02:52:15 AM »
It's about 10 hours after the surgery.  I had some kind of reaction in recovery while still in a fog.  I began vomiting and my throat was closing up.  Started feeling better about 3 hours ago.  Too late to get any instructions.  I'm a little disappointed I could not get on my feet today.  I'm comfortable, just a slight discomfort.  Hoping the 2nd round of IV antibiotics does not bring back the n&v.
R-hip Resurfacing March 17, 2014
Dr. Brooks, Cleve Clinic

Debcoco

Re: St. Patricks day hip resurfacing
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2014, 02:55:31 AM »
Sounds horrible! Glad you are feeling a little better. I did not walk the first day either, but I've been walking pain free ever since:-)

Hang in there!

deb
RBHR, Dr. Richard Sellers, 04 DEC 13

Miguelito

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2014, 03:09:01 AM »
Sorry to hear about the complications, but welcome to the other side (of surgery). Good luck in your recovery.
Mike

RHR April 2012.
LHR March 2014.

Both Biomet Magnum/Recap 54/48, by Dr. Thomas Gross.

chuckm

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2014, 12:34:40 PM »
And you thought this might be the year you don't throw up on St. Patrick's day? You will be feeling so good this time next year I doubt you stand a chance.

Chuckm
Left BHR 11/30/12
Hospital for Special Surgery
46 years old

hernanu

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2014, 01:51:42 PM »
And you thought this might be the year you don't throw up on St. Patrick's day? You will be feeling so good this time next year I doubt you stand a chance.

Chuckm

Hilarious.

ittez - you're still fresh from surgery, things will quiet down and you'll be on track. Don't worry about not being on your feet right away, you'll be there soon.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

whyme

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2014, 10:29:39 PM »
On St. Patricks day last year I went on a trip where I had to take painkillers for first time, to be able to keep up with the daily standing and walking and to avoid dragging the others too much. Back then I took every opportunity to sit down, rest, stay a bit longer at the hotel... It wasn't pleasant.
Half a year later I had my surgery.
Last weekend, 6 months on, I spent 3 days on a city break and walked for long hours, no need to sit down for a while, no pain. What a difference!

Things going well, you'll have soon good memories of St. Patricks day 2014...
Left hip resurfacing (Conserve Plus) 2013-09-04
Dr. De Smet

Beth

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2014, 12:59:52 AM »
Tomorrow is a new day. And I hope a better one.
PT will help you get on your feet tomorrow. I had Mike and he was terrific.
Keep us updated,
Beth
2/17/2014 RBHR Dr Brooks Cleveland Clinic
52mm cup  46mm head
LBHR planned for 6/19/2015: CANCELLED

lttez

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2014, 02:39:45 AM »
Day 2:  Performed well at PT,  they are recommending that I leave a day early.  Definitely sorer after excersises.  If all goes well with the changing of the dressing and some instruction on getting in and out of the tub, I should head home tomorrow.  Thanks for the replies, it's nice to know that there is a vast community who've tested the waters and is willing to share.
Dr. Brooks, Cleve Clinic

China Lady

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2014, 08:42:33 AM »
at day 2 you can get in and out from a tub?! Great! ............I needed 8 weeks for the same task. Bravo!
..... I will find out

lttez

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2014, 03:01:03 PM »
Some catching up.

I did leave the Hospital after 2 days.  I've probably had more problems with pain meds and antibiotics then anything else.  Decided to stop taking Pain Meds 2 days ago, and it has helped with my stomach.

As for my hip, its sore and stiff.  I do my exercises  as instructed.  My hardest is laying on my back and trying to slide my leg laterally to the side and back.  Just no strength for that one.  It's a little hard for me to tell how much weight to bare on the new hip when using crutches.  I'm still trying to find a comfortable way to sleep.  Lying on my back does't cut it for me.  I have been able to go on my side for short periods of time, but there is still an ache that creeps up on me.  Hoping for the weather to break to go outside and get some better distance for walks.

Dr. Brooks, Cleve Clinic

whyme

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2014, 10:37:17 PM »
Sleep on my back was difficult, and the calves and heels got very hot at times, also due to the compression socks. Cushion under your knees/calves helps, if you find the right spot and height.
Once I was able to turn on the non-operated side, even for brief periods of time, that was a relief for the back. Quickly after that I got used to sleep with a pillow/cushion between the knees while lying on my back, so when I turned to the good side it was easy (again, try to find the right thickness for the cushion). Eventually I slept more on the side and only on my back to change posture.
Left hip resurfacing (Conserve Plus) 2013-09-04
Dr. De Smet

Beth

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2014, 02:55:34 PM »
Regarding the lateral leg exercises: I used a heavy duty big (45 or 50 gallon) trash bag folded. In the beginning I needed the leg lifter to help. I could only do a few ~5 at first, but over time I was able to work up to 20. (I confess I did my exercises 2 x's/d not 3)

Sleeping drove me crazy...all I can say is that it really does get better-it just takes time. I think it was about 3+ weeks before I could sleep on my non-op side.

Also I ended up calling Phil to discuss my weight bearing. I had difficulty with putting much weight on my op-side. Again, it just takes time for some of us. At 4 weeks I "turned the corner" and everything became easier. Still have a long way to go but I will be going to my post op visit next Tuesday.
Funny, but now I can say the time as flown.
Beth
2/17/2014 RBHR Dr Brooks Cleveland Clinic
52mm cup  46mm head
LBHR planned for 6/19/2015: CANCELLED

Miguelito

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2014, 09:51:05 PM »
For sleeping definitely try the long pillow or even two stacked under the knees. Skew them closer to calves to reduce pressure on heels. Try dropping knee on unoperated side out to the side and tilting whole body a little in that direction. Worked for me. Could side sleep on unoperated side (for most of night) at 2.5 weeks, fyi.
RHR April 2012.
LHR March 2014.

Both Biomet Magnum/Recap 54/48, by Dr. Thomas Gross.

Recent Posts

Advertisements

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Accordion Player Pat Webmaster/Owner

Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy

Statcounter

View My Stats