+-

Advertisements

Welcome Back

The Hip Talk Discussion Forum was hacked a few weeks back. It has taken me a long time to fix it. The only backup I could use was way back to April 2020. All members and posts up to that date are available. Anything newer has been lost. I am sorry, but that has been the only way to get things up and running again.

Author Topic: LBHR with Dr. Su 3-20.  (Read 2779 times)

Vinman

LBHR with Dr. Su 3-20.
« on: March 21, 2014, 06:09:57 AM »
I have officially crossed to the other side and feel an obligation to share so I will be documenting my recovery.  First let me say that HSS and Dr. Su are world class!

Day 1

Surgery was at 3:30 pm.  I arrived in recovery at around 5:45 pm.  Pain was not too bad at first but did begin to escalate so they gave me something in the IV and then upped pain medication dosage and I have been all set since.   Minimal pain at incision site.  Just feel sore all around like Dr Su mentioned "you'll like you did way to many squats".

It's 2:00 am now and the reason I got delayed was because I was having difficulty urinating so they ended up putting catheter in.  The nurse, Loretta, was very gracious and gave me ample time to try to do on my own and kept them  at bay upstairs from wanting to rush to put one in.  I was nervous as hell about catheter but all in all wasn't so bad and now I will get to sleep without someone checking every 2 hours to see if I can urinate. 

They haven't had me up yet since surgery was late but am sure in am we'll get rolling,  I did stand when I was trying to urinate and can tell you leg feel ok with minimal weight bearing. 

Besides the occasional pain which is a 2-3 on a scale of 1-10, it feels like I had nothing done.  Will post you tomorrow on Day 2 as I'm sure it will be a lot rougher when I get mobile.

Vince
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 06:35:50 AM by Vinman »

Some Dude

Re: LBHR with Dr. Su 3-20.
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2014, 07:20:26 AM »
"Welcome to the other side Vinman"

China Lady

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2014, 08:48:26 AM »
Great, you made it!!!!
for the first days keep yourself drugged with the pain killers, stay ahead of the pain. for me it was also necessary to cool the scar area permanent. that will help a lot!
good night and sleep well
..... I will find out

oldsoccerplayer

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2014, 11:03:44 AM »
I have the same problem getting the bladder working after surgery. I wasn't given the option to try it myself, and doubt if I'd have taken them up on the offer anyway! On an earlier surgery I gave the night nurse the nickname "Cathy"! On both occasions I had to spend an extra night in hospital until things got back to normal.
I'm amazed that you can write so well so quickly after the procedure, it took me a couple of days before I could complete a sentence in conversation.
Sounds like you're off to a good start.
BioMet Left Hip Resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 07/2013

hernanu

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2014, 01:55:42 PM »
Congrats! Keep ahead of the pain - it helps your recovery.

It's not an easy recovery, but it's encouraging and exhilarating not to have that pain any more.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Vinman

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2014, 06:36:09 AM »
Day 2

Today was definitely rougher but not from a pain perspective.  I felt nauseous in the morning and they gave me some anti nauseous medicine which did the trick.  Then I felt like I was over medicated and at various points couldn't get out of bed to try PT.  Before my first PT, I felt a cramp in my left calf so they brought me to get a Doppler ultrasound to check for DVT.  Thank goodness all was clear.  BTW, if you feel anything weird (you know your body) get it checked out.  Once the meds wore off (I began to half my dose) I was able to do three PT sessions which consisted of minor movements with my walker.  The last one we went up and down the hallway.  They took the catheter out (piece of cake for those of you that wake up with one in) and then the chore was to see if I could pee.  If I couldn't I was facing another catheter which was no fun at all.  Thankfully after 2 hours or so, I am peeing with glee!

The pain today during PT was a "good pain".  More soreness that goes away as you move.  The crazy and strange pains of days past are gone and hoping it stays that way.  I halved my pain meds and have been alternating between sleep and short times awake since 9 pm.  Oh, one more item - still on a liquid diet and need a steak.  Ok, feeling a little woozy again so am going back to bed.

One last item, I saw Dr. Su today and he told me he was very pleased with everything,  he said they was only about 20% of the bone impacted and they usually need at least 50% for a successful resurfacing.  You never know how things can go but I am fortunate and blessed to hear that news.

Vince

hernanu

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2014, 11:58:51 AM »
Great to hear, Vince. Sounds like a good start.

Vinman

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2014, 02:42:57 AM »
Day 3

I'll give an update today since I was able to leave hospital and then post going forward on an scheduled basis.  I was able to leave today at 11 am.  At home, I walked a few houses and then back to my house and took a shower.  We had an issue getting the pain meds on way home we delayed my dose about 3 hours.  It worked out as fortunately I was not in a ton of pain.

I am getting weird twinges here and there.  Am assuming this is normal part of process.   The twinges make me nervous. I guess I shouldn't assume everthing is going to be awesome throughout this process.  The challenge is that I am so psyched to have this work so I need to mentally prepare myself.

Is this normal?

Vince

whyme

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2014, 06:58:04 PM »
Hi Vince,
The first few days after surgery are about not having complications, take the medicines as prescribed, follow the rules/restrictions from your surgeon (generally they are very strict about certain movements and postures for the first 6 weeks) used to start walking again, move around a bit, ice the area a few times a day.
I remember having twinges when getting in and out of bed (or changing posture), turning while walking, i.e. when doing little twists with your leg, it's almost unavoidable. Also, I had spasms (mainly in bed at night) down the leg (actually, both legs), up to 3 or 4 every night, that lasted a few weeks but eventually faded away.
Around 5 days after surgery the swelling increased a lot suddenly, it was worrying but the nurse assured me it was normal and associated to the exercise routine (walks and the mild hip exercises), and it would go away in a few days (and it did, around day 8 it went back to normal).

Being at home at day 3 is pretty good! (I had to stay in a hotel for 1 week after been released from hospital, before I was allowed to take the plane).
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 07:00:56 PM by whyme »
Left hip resurfacing (Conserve Plus) 2013-09-04
Dr. De Smet

oldsoccerplayer

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2014, 12:05:41 PM »
Vince, if it's any consolation I was getting occasional tweaks, twinges and spasms for weeks and months after the surgery. I kept reminding myself that if anything was seriously wrong I'd be in such pain that there wouldn't be any room for doubt!
Your nervousness is typical of the anxiety many of us went through after surgery. Relax, it will improve over time.
BioMet Left Hip Resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 07/2013

Vinman

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2014, 12:50:51 PM »
Thanks whyme and oldsoccerplayer.  At home nurse and physical therapist coming today.  Did any of you or anyone else have any strange tinges, etc on your other side once you started walking.  My other hip felt like it had a little bursitis pre surgery due to me walking with a limp, putting too mich weight on it WTD.  Seems like that is starting to go away but I have gotten some weird twinges on the other side in the hip flexor area and a tiny bit in groin which makes me uber paranoid.  Nothing persistent. Also, surgical leg feels longer than non surgical. Curious if anyone else felt similar items in no surgical hip as they were getting back....

chuckm

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2014, 01:06:25 PM »
Vinman, everything is normal. The fact is there is no normal. I felt tweaks, twinges, aches, throbs, swelling, etc. I had aches in other parts of the body with no explanation but none was really that bad, just strange. The longer leg sensation is expected and will last possibly for months until the body adjusts and settles down.

Chuckm
Left BHR 11/30/12
Hospital for Special Surgery
46 years old

hernanu

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2014, 01:52:27 PM »
Vince, consider this - your body has been under attack for a while from arthritis.

To deal with it as the disease pulled you in, your other side and actually the rest of your body compensated. Some muscles became over stressed and others became underused and maybe atrophied because of the compensation.

That was not normal, but it was necessary for you to function as well as possible. The modified way you walked, the pain when you did so and the way you sat, leaned, all of the actions that you take as a daily person were affected.

Now you have been relieved of the pain and given a structurally sound hip again. It is not as good as the original equipment, but is a damn fine facsimile.

You acquired all of the modifications in order to survive, but as wonderful a machine as the body is, it can't reverse the clock immediately.

If you were to modify the way you eat to lose weight, it would take you a while to see weight loss, it will take a little while (not really long to me) before your body readjusts itself to the new, much more healthy structure of you.

The twinges and cricks and clunking and maybe a pull or two are part of your body realigning itself, I believe.

You shouldn't ignore pains that don't leave, and should call your surgeon liberally or post anything here (I know I did), but there will be many passing things on the way to a good strong hip.

Recent Posts

New to resurfacing wondering about surgeons by smartinny
Yesterday at 02:20:37 AM

Re: 9 years later and I think it's time for my other hip by imgetinold
September 17, 2020, 06:45:07 PM

Re: Need help finding a Surgeon by imgetinold
September 17, 2020, 06:40:18 PM

Re: 3 months post op with MAJOR problems by ahausheer
September 16, 2020, 05:18:14 AM

Advertisements

Donate Thru Pay Pal