+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Need Revision sadly,have to use in network doctor  (Read 6544 times)

atl2013

Need Revision sadly,have to use in network doctor
« on: March 26, 2014, 11:05:09 PM »
Help.........!!!!!New to SURFACE HIPPY.(atl2013)

I  was told I have a badly positioned Corin Cormet Hip  Resurfacing device. Been a year now and still in pain,seems I have to give up my metal on metal hip resurfacing for a Total Hip Replacement ceramic .I have just  received this aweful news after series of setbacks and endless despair. I  now have to choose an in network doctor (I have HMO insurance )...I 'm so clueless  right now and this really has me shaken up.
Can anyone  give any advice here. Any good or should I say Top Surgeons in Atlanta,Georgia.Does anyone know?

ATL2013

hernanu

Re: Need Revision sadly,have to use in network doctor
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 11:44:51 PM »
Hi, sorry you're having to deal with this. Not from the area, so I'll leave it to folks that know it, but welcome to the site, despite the news.

Several of our hippies have had revisions or gone to total hip, they are doing well, so the alternative is a good one.

Have you thought of Dr. Gross in Columbia, SC? At the least he can give you some good advice.

Welcome again, please let us know how you're doing.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

atl2013

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2014, 12:09:35 AM »
Really hope I can get sum info to help me .
Thanks for the kind words HERNANU.

Juno

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2014, 08:02:54 AM »
I am sorry to hear about your issues. I am from ATL and am a RN. The two top joint (hip) replacement surgeons in ATL are Kenneth Kress at Resurgens Ortho and Steven Smith at Piedmont Hospital. Both did do HR at one time, but neither do it any longer. It may take a month or greater to get an appointment with either one -- worse comes to worse you can get in to see their PAs and they can assist you with an exam and questions. I saw both of these doctors when I was contemplating HR versus THR. Both are excellent practitioners and well respected here in ATL in the field of hip replacement.

Good luck.
Juno
Right resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 7/11/13
Left resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 12/11/13

atl2013

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2014, 08:15:16 AM »
Good Morning to Everyone,

Thanks for your time Juno.A month is a long time considering I need urgent attention.I have signs of metal poisoning (never had these rashes before surgery ) so I really need to see someone and quick.
The situation is very complex as I'm still learning Atl ...Not too sure how to quite use SURFACE HIPPY as yet so its a process.I would like to speak more with you and perhaps you can guide me a bit.Please let me know.

ATL2013

Tim Bratten

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2014, 09:23:22 AM »
Very sorry to hear about your problem. I also had a poorly placed Corin device and needed revision. Sorry I can't offer much in the way of doctor advice in your area, but good luck! I can testify that a well done revision will fix your problems, so it's worth the effort to find the right doctor.

Botched LHR by Dr. Vilicich 06-17-2010 revised by Koen De Smet 02-14-2012
RHR Koen De Smet 02-05-2014

atl2013

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2014, 09:27:30 AM »
So what  type of device you have now Tim Bratton?
How was your recovery after surgery and how long before you started to feel right again?
Please i need your help.

Tim Bratten

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2014, 10:01:25 AM »
I am using a device that De Smet puts together from two manufactures. It is a large ball ceramic on ceramic (De Smet uses up to 48 mm balls, but if he needs to screw the cup in for the revision the ball will be a bit smaller: mine is 40mm and works fine). I can give you specifics latter (I have the stickers from the manufactures at home: I'm at work now) but I doubt anyone else is using exactly this combination. However there are also very experienced revision doctors in the US (Dr. Su comes to mind) and I imagine the devices they use also work quite well.

My recovery was basically like from a well done primary THR (details can be searched on this site). I was training in my home climbing gym less than 6 weeks after surgery and rock climbing outdoors (leading some 5.9s my first time out) two months after surgery. At more than two years out, my revision is doing quite well.

PS: Revision surgery with De Smet costs about 18,000 Euros. Is there any chance you could convince your insurance provider it's a very good deal for them and for you?

Cheers
Tim Bratten (with an "e"). 
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 10:11:06 AM by Tim Bratten »
Botched LHR by Dr. Vilicich 06-17-2010 revised by Koen De Smet 02-14-2012
RHR Koen De Smet 02-05-2014

atl2013

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2014, 10:41:06 AM »
Okay,I don't know how I'd be able to convince them ,,this is totally new to me .
I'm surprised I haven't got more hits on this after reading all other posts.
I'm pleased your doing well and living it up again.Oh how I miss getting out and about.
Being rooted to a bed is such hardship....I have become good friends with sleeping pills.
Sounds like Dr. DeSmet  did you very well and I keep hearing of his wonderful stories.
Never had an interest in rock climbing ,BUT you seem to do very well with it,I'm sure you'll be busy building lots of muscle for that ,but just to walk welll again would be nice for me.
 Your new hip does sound quite interesting tho..I must admit

ATL2013

Juno

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2014, 12:32:44 PM »
ATL --- sorry I don't have much more info to offer (and no connections). I just know that when I had appointments to see them both it took over a month to get in.

Who did your original surgery? When was it done? Is there any chance you can see that surgeon again or someone else in that practice?
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 04:05:07 PM by Juno »
Right resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 7/11/13
Left resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 12/11/13

blt01

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2014, 02:07:36 PM »
Wow, first of all I'm so sorry you are going through this.  Being that you are 3 hours from Columbia, SC, I would encourage you to go see Dr. Gross immediately.  He is excellent and should be able to give you some good advice and care.  Good luck!!
L Biomet Recap - Dr Gross - 11-14-12

keepmovin

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2014, 02:35:20 PM »
Hi ATL2013,

I am so sorry for what you are going through but have a pretty good idea how you feel right now.
I can't give you any advice on Drs. since I am North, but I see you got some good advice from Juno.  Do you have a Primary Dr. you can rely on?  That's were I started and he helped get things rolling very quickly for me.
 It's hard to do this all by yourself so if you can lean on someone to help assist you take the first difficult steps, this may help!

Hope this helps.

LBHR - HSS, Dr. Su, 4/11/2011
RBHR - HSS, Dr. Su,  10/17/2013

happyhopper

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2014, 05:07:57 PM »
Hi
Just wondered what is wrong with the positioning.  Has the surgeon given you the angles?
Best wishes

atl2013

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2014, 05:43:32 PM »
Hi everyone....The positioning is bad, No angles to report, "HappyHopper"..cup too steep,too varus(whatever that means) component in wrong alignment,doctor just botched me up well and left me to ail like this.
 I don't want that same surgeon touching me again "juno".He is obviously not what he says he is.
"blt01" thanks for the suggestion of Dr.Gross but SC ...Is he in- network?

Still thanks guys for rallying around me during this trying time.

ATL2013

happyhopper

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2014, 04:58:30 PM »
I agree, don't even think of going back to the same surgeon.  The best revision surgeons in the UK seem to do at least 50 revisions a year and that may be a guideline when looking for a revision surgeon - at least 50 a year (and not his own failures!!).  Also might be an idea to see any prospective surgeons outcomes for revision surgery.
I know it is difficult but don't make any rushed decisions.  I had a rash 10 months post surgery when my muscles were extremely weak and have no signs of high metal ions or metallosis and it disappeared after a few weeks.
Best wishes.

atl2013

« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2014, 06:54:17 PM »
Ok ,so I need to ask how many revisions my new surgeon has done .
Thanks "happyhopper".That's quite helpful when your totally lost with this situation.
Most surgeons schedules seem fully booked...I'm taking this as a good sign.
Experience is going to be key ....thats for sure .
Sorry to hear of your rash situation but am pleased it all worked out soon after,my rash is all over my back ,so am guessing the metal ions debris are acting up.
What did you do for it by the way(to make it go away) ?

ATL2013

John C

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2014, 10:41:42 PM »
Like others, I will suggest that you contact Dr Gross, for a number of reasons.
1. He will usually do a free consultation over the phone if you can get copies of your x-rays to him. Wherever you had your last x-rays done should be able to take care of either sending them directly to Dr Gross, or sending them to you so that you can forward them to him.
2. I believe that Dr Gross did hundreds of the Corin resurfacing implants before he switched to Biomet, and was involved in the original trials to approve the Cormet devices in this country, so he is very familiar with that implant.
3. He has done a lot of HR revisions, so even if he is not In Network for you, he might at least be able to offer valuable advice.
4. Contacting his office will clarify for you whether he is in your network or not.
5. If he is in your network, he is reasonably close to you, and he is certainly one of the very best in the world at this sort of thing.
Wishing you the best in terms of moving forward to a good solution.
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

atl2013

« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2014, 05:39:51 PM »
Thanks "John C".

ATL2013

tennisgirl

« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2014, 06:37:08 PM »
Hi atl2013,

Try to get an appointment with Dr. Smith's PA Susan Snouse.  Once you see her you can fast track an appointment with Dr. Smith.  He is considered one of the top hip replacement docs in town.  He replaced my girlfriend's hip and she raved about him.

I also recommend you contact Dr. Gross' office for consultation.  He is great about getting back with you personally in about 2 weeks.

Mindi
R Biomet Uncemented Dr. Gross 11/9/2011

atl2013

« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2014, 07:07:59 PM »
Hi "tennisgirl"....(Mindi)....can you private message me please ,I have sum questions to ask,maybe your friend can help me get back on my feet again .
 Anxiously await your reply...thanks for helping also.
Your reply has given me hope.

ATL2013

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat