+-

Advertisements

Welcome Back

The Hip Talk Discussion Forum was hacked a few weeks back. It has taken me a long time to fix it. The only backup I could use was way back to April 2020. All members and posts up to that date are available. Anything newer has been lost. I am sorry, but that has been the only way to get things up and running again.

Author Topic: BHR and Grappling (wrestling and BJJ)  (Read 3797 times)

Canadian-Ice

BHR and Grappling (wrestling and BJJ)
« on: April 08, 2014, 02:10:54 PM »
Hi Folks,

I'm a grappling and boxing enthusiast looking for some advice on the BHR's ability to withstand grappling in sparring and competition.

Does anyone have any strengths, limitations, or experiences to report?

CI

Dannywayoflife

Re: BHR and Grappling (wrestling and BJJ)
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2014, 02:50:37 PM »
Hi mate I train judo regularly (4 times a week at the mo) and I hit the bag and occasionally spar boxing. I'm fine with the bhr doing this. There is sometimes where I'll get in an odd position where it pinches a little but that's pretty rare.!
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

Canadian-Ice

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2014, 11:43:29 PM »

That's good news...Are you able to execute double leg takedowns, pull guard, do bridging escapes? What about kicking the heavy bag? How far/fast can you run without pain?

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2014, 07:22:31 AM »
I've yet to venture into running (other than sprinting to trouble at work) but can easily do all the other stuff no issues
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

Canadian-Ice

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2014, 02:10:03 AM »

That's outstanding. Those things I mentioned are hard on the body.

I recall the sprinting episode you had shortly after your surgery.

What about spending a 3 months in the summers running 3 times week; as in sets of 50s and 100s one day; a long run another day; a 1-2K run the third day.

In other words, a variable workout. Could be on soft ground, hills and trails.

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2014, 06:41:17 AM »
I have recently bought a pair of Hoka trainers and have just yesterday run recriationally for the first time since july 2010! I ran about half a mile around the block. My aim is to very very slowly build up to be able to run a 5K. I noticed some muscle weakness which is to be expected but other than that the bhr was fine! And the Hoka's are awesome!!!!!
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

jrozovics

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2014, 06:46:26 PM »
I am a black belt in BJJ.  I had my left hip done (BHR) in November 2010.  I have since competed a number of times at the Pans and World Masters without any problems at all.  I am training a lot these days without any issues.  If you have any specific questions, let me know.  I know of a few other jiu jitsu guys that had their hip resurfaced.  They are rolling around fine.

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2014, 06:50:27 AM »
Hay man great to have a bjj black belt on the board!
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

Canadian-Ice

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2014, 03:27:30 AM »

Awsome running with the Hoka's Danny. Hoping to try those out this summer myself. I hope you post your experiences running this summer.

It IS great to have someone with a BJJ black belt on board. Encouraging also that you have been able to compete at the international level with the BHR with no problems!

That's just awesome.

Any tips or exercises that you felt helped your hips with BJJ, before or after resurfacing?

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2014, 06:46:00 AM »
I will keep you posted mate. got to say its a long road back to being able to run properly again!!
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

jrozovics

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2014, 05:54:18 PM »
I started to have hip pain in 2004 when I was a brown belt.  It got progressively worse until my surgery in November 2010.  If I had to do it again, I would have done the surgery sooner.  I was in terrible pain at the end and my flexibility was terrible.  I have done yoga for many years which has helped.  I practice yoga now as well.  The problem with the BJJ warmup is that not a lot of time is spent stretching due to time constraints.  My suggestion would be to spend at least 15 minutes stretching on your own or through yoga/pilates, etc.  The pigeon pose is probably one of the best stretches for the hip (just don't over do it).

I only have problems in certain BJJ positions that I am still working on... combat base and turtle position from the top.  Overall, I am 100% happy with my progress though.

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2014, 07:13:03 PM »
How far post op are you mate?
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

Canadian-Ice

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2014, 10:37:25 PM »

I myself haven't had my hip resurfacing yet. Maybe I'm jumping the gun with so much interest in resurfacing pre-surgery, but I wouldn't be involved with martial arts now were it not for this surgery option in the future. This website has been inspiring for me since the day I was dx three years ago. Because of resurfacing, I consider the hip OA something not worth worrying about. However knowing exercises/stretching that help protect the hip is always helpful.

Ah yes, pigeon pose. I will try that. Unfortunately yoga can bug my knee, which has chondramalacia. Same leg as the hip. Fun huh? I guess stretching before, during, and after BJJ useful?

I have to look up turtle from top and combat base....but it's pretty great this surgery worked so well for your BJJ.

jrozovics

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2014, 12:16:58 PM »
I am 3 1/2 years post surgery.  I had my left hip done.  I took the first six months off for recovery.  Started training in May 2011 and did my first competition in March 2012.

I forgot to mention that I have moderate OA in my right hip.  I have been lucky since the pain has been low.  The OA in my right hip has caused some ROM problems.  Also, the standup game hasn't been too bad.  I was originally worried about being taken down and landing on the hip.  But that has really not been an issue.  Really my BHR left hip has caused me no trouble; my concern is more the right hip and how much time I have left on it.

Canadian-Ice

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2014, 12:59:28 PM »

Personally, I don't consider the right hip OA of long term significance. It sucks potentially going through another surgery, but possibly a variety of strengthening exercises beyond yoga would avoid that. If another BHR is needed, so be it. With a good surgeon, the result will be as with your left, and dare I say you can forget about it. Long term.

One silver lining I've discovered is that, while OA ended my competitive running career, it introduced me to a mix of impact and non-impact sports that is more complete than what I did before. I go to swimming and wrestling classes with my son. And now, gymnastics conditioning at home with parrallet bars and rings that gives a kind of strength that can't be found in a regular gym.

I would recommend Gymnastics Bodies or Gold Medal Bodies to anyone with hip OA who wants to build tremendous athleticism in a way that can actually benefit the joints to boot.

Recent Posts

Advertisements

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Accordion Player Pat Webmaster/Owner

Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy

Statcounter

View My Stats