+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Trust in surgeons  (Read 2407 times)

Dannywayoflife

Trust in surgeons
« on: April 10, 2014, 04:08:51 AM »
It amazes me how some people just blindly trust surgeons to do the best thing for them. I was talking to an old pal the other day who ive not seen for about 5 years on facebook. Hes 2 years yonger than me a big strong fit las and hes just had his seond THR installed. At no point has he been offered anything other than THR. Ive seen his X-Rays and knowing his background he would have been a perfect candidate for a BHR/HR. I think its such a shame as hes still serving in the Army but now due to double THR's will have to leave. Had he done a little research of his own and questioned his surgeon a little rather than just blindlyu trusting him he may well have ended up being resurfaced and not having restrictions applied to him. I realised a long time ago you have to question doctors and surgeons and not just take their word for things as sometimes they have their own agenda and not your best interests at heart.

Just my thought for thr day.
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

halfdone

Re: Trust in surgeons
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2014, 07:45:25 AM »
Danny, how could you be so cynical? Surely all doctors are driven ONLY by a desire to deliver the best possible care to their patients and no other considerations could influence them....? ;)

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/10/business/doctor-with-big-medicare-billings-is-no-stranger-to-scrutiny.html?hp&_r=0

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2014, 08:01:13 AM »
I know I'm such an old cynic :) lol
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

Granton

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2014, 08:05:36 AM »
You would think that if there is a different approach available, even if it is not one they would support, they should mention it's existence in case the patient wished to consider it.

When I first consulted a doctor at age 48-ish, I was told it was too early for a THR. I only learned about resurfacing from a newspaper article.
David
Rt BHR Nov 1999
Lt BHR Oct 2013
Mr D McMinn

oldsoccerplayer

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2014, 08:17:59 AM »
I agree that the medical professionals should be the ones suggesting alternatives; it's the patient's right to research alternatives, but why should they have to? Especially when you're in pain you're particularly vulnerable and likely to trust anyone who says they can provide relief.
I was referred to a THR surgeon by the physiatrist who'd been treating me with steroid shots for over a year, so why wouldn't I trust him?
I can understand the THR surgeon wants the business, so it's not in his interest to suggest anything else (in itself, a sad reflection on the state of the medical industry), but why didn't the referring Dr. mention the HR alternative?  Thankfully my chiropractor did just that.
I intend to contact the physiatrist with an update when I hit the 1yr. mark and maybe he can start advising some of his patients differently.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 08:26:33 AM by oldsoccerplayer »
BioMet Left Hip Resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 07/2013

Two4One

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2014, 02:29:05 PM »
It amazes me how some people just blindly trust surgeons to do the best thing for them. - Dannywayoflife
You have an excellent point; I couldn't agree more.

Second opinions people.  ALWAYS.

2-4
"I was inspired by the very idea of turning the wildest figments of your imagination into something real and creating a life for yourself." - Ken Ilgunas

12/11 Failed Bilateral BHR by Dr. Schmitt  3/14 Positive Metal – LTT for Nickel Allergy.   11/14 Bilat Ceramic/Titanium Revisions.

HowieF-16

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2014, 06:50:04 PM »
We all have different personalities and bring different baggage to the table. I have always believed that the surgeon is part of MY health-care team. It is my responsibility to perform due diligence. Together with the members of my team; surgeon, PCM, physical therapist and family, we decide what is best. Everyone gets to contribute, but the final decision is mine. 
RBHR, Dr. Raterman, 1-8-14

obxpelican

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2014, 09:31:12 PM »
Danny, you speaketh the truth for sure.

Everyone MUST be their best own patient advocate, find a surgeon with LOTS of experience, if you can find someone with 600 surgeries with good results that is great, although a 1,000 would be better.

Too many times we've seen patients pick a surgeon solely because their neighbor said he was the best surgeon in the country, meanwhile the guy does a handful of HRs but always tries to point his patients towards a THR cause "it's the best device for the patient" well, I call bullshit.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

Jason0411

• Hotelier and Volunteer Lifeboat Crewman.
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2014, 05:14:04 AM »
Danny spot on mate. My Brother 14 years ago was told he was too young for a THR despite the fact his hip was shot and he found McMinn. He tried getting it on the NHS but because there wasn't enough research results on the BHR back then it wasn't an option. So the family chipped in and paid for him. Luckily I had medical insurance and my brothers knowledge so I could make my own choices.

RBHR Mr McMinn 6th December 2011.
Tripped and crushed head under cap 31st January 2012.
Self repairing.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat