+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: IT Band Syndrome and Foam Rollers  (Read 16548 times)

oldsoccerplayer

IT Band Syndrome and Foam Rollers
« on: April 16, 2014, 08:22:08 PM »
I think this site does a good job of explaining IT Band Syndrome,
http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/kneepainandinjuries/a/IT_Band_Pain.htm

It mentions that one of the symptoms could be knee pain, which I've been experiencing recently. I got there from looking up recommendations for foam rollers here

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/flexibilityandstretching/ss/FoamRoller.htm

I know a number of people on this site have used / recommended foam rollers, so I'd appreciate any advice on what variety of roller works best, what exercises to do etc.
You can find their suggestions by going to that second link and clicking Next at the bottom of the page.
Thanks!

BioMet Left Hip Resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 07/2013

chuckm

Re: IT Band Syndrome and Foam Rollers
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 08:53:12 AM »
That looks like the exact roller I have. Oldsoccerplayer, rolling the whole leg will be of benefit for sure but the knee pain may not go away from using the roller. It might be related to some of my earlier posts that your new hip is unable to sufficiently rotate internally when you run. It is a subtle thing so it is not obvious to anyone including yourself. When your leg extends backward in the stride the hip needs to not only rotate front to back but also roll in as your pelvis shifts too. If the hip cannot rotate the way it wants to keep your foot facing forward, it will just result in some degree of twisting force on the leg below. The part of your leg that is bothered most by this twisting is the knee.
I had unexplained knee problems that brought me to a local surgeon to aspirate the fluid it was collecting. That was just another of the many bumps in the road to recovery after resurfacing.

Coming up on a year and a half now and the my leg extends back nicely and in line. It is much different than even 6 months ago. The knee is now 100%.

Chuckm

Chuckm
Left BHR 11/30/12
Hospital for Special Surgery
46 years old

China Lady

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 10:13:07 AM »
I just followed the second link. I never have seen something like this and now I know what you all mean with foam roller. it looks great and even, when I only could follow the exercises in my mind, I have had the feeling that this can help. I really don't know how to buy something like this here in China. foam is described, as I know, in (now I miss the vocabulary) stiffness, or how far you can press it down, or weight? can you help me to find the parameter?
like a mattress, there must be stores I can find something similar   
..... I will find out

hernanu

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 12:19:23 PM »
I've had great luck with my foam roller, works well even now.

I don't know where in China to find them, but mine is a very simple white foam roller. It is available in many stores, etc. Not too complex at all.

Here is one source:

http://www.amazon.com/White-Foam-Roller-18-inch-Round/dp/B00BMSPKJA/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1397751240&sr=8-9&keywords=foam+roller

On this site it costs about 15 dollars. There are much fancier (and more expensive ones) but this one worked well for me.

The thing to remember, to avoid becoming discouraged with it, is that the first week or so it will be challenging your muscles / tendons / scar tissue. You will feel it, since it's doing what it's supposed to - loosening the muscles, massaging scar tissue, etc.

Just don't be discouraged and the weeks that follow it will feel much better.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

oldsoccerplayer

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 12:33:18 PM »
China Lady,
I think "firmness"  is the word you're looking for. This page might help us decide

http://www.wikihow.com/Choose-a-Foam-Roller

Here's a summary for choosing firmness.
Most foam rollers are color coded according to firmness. White rollers are the softest, followed by blue or green rollers of medium density and black foam rollers, which are the firmest.

• Choose a white foam roller if you are just starting off with a foam roller or if you plan to use it for exercises.
  • Choose a medium, lightly colored (blue or green) foam roller for advanced core-stabilization or a medium amount of massage pressure.
  • Choose a black foam roller if you are very experienced using a foam roller or desire hard pressure for self-massage.

I think I'll go with blue 12 inch (30 cm)  unless someone thinks otherwise.

Arrojo

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2014, 03:08:42 PM »
A 12-inch foam roller is great. I use it before and after every run. And other times just for fun. Note that as great as the foam roller is for your hip and ITB, other body parts can benefit as well. Your back, hamstrings, quads, and calves as well.
Dr. Su
RBHR 4/9/12

moe

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2014, 06:40:56 PM »

A product that I have had better results with than a foam roller is a roller massager. You can use it sitting or standing, very portable for travel also. Available at Amazon or Dick's Sporting Goods and other places.

http://www.pro-tecathletics.com/57038/586624/Massage/Pro--Tec-Roller-Massager.html
Bi-lateral, BHR, Dr Marchand. 7-13-09

Debcoco

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2014, 08:02:33 PM »
Oldsoccerplayer,

Great link explaining the  Foam Roller.  My trainer used the term Myofascial release and I really had no idea...now I know and it makes perfect sense.

I bought my Foam Roller at Walmart for under $15. I bought the Blue One....I read reviews online and it seems the White is the softest, but wears out quickly.

Thanks for the info!

deb
RBHR, Dr. Richard Sellers, 04 DEC 13

chuckm

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2014, 10:39:41 AM »
Moe, that roller is a great product but I think should be used to complement the foam roller. It is superior to the foam roller for certain muscles like the hamstrings and calves and much easier to use. Are you able to sufficiently roll all the glut muscles with it? I needed my entire body weight on the foam roller to really break up the tissue there. I can't imagine getting the leverage with for that any other way.

Chuckm
Left BHR 11/30/12
46 years old

moe

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2014, 12:17:51 PM »
Chuck, I've used a foam roller for about 7 years and it is a good product. But recently I broke my leg and when I got back on the bike I realized I had an issue with my pedal stroke and could not hit the spot with the foam roller. That is when I went out and got the roller stick and found that I could really target the ITB. I find the big advantage is I can sit down and bend my leg in the exact position as the pedal stroke and hit the exact spot where the problem is. I think the fact that it is a smaller harder surface helps also. Using the ends of the stick on pressure points is another point. I still use the foam roller at times also but I find the stick more effective for all areas. Everybody is different but I just wanted to mention another product to give people another option.

Moe
Bi-lateral, BHR, Dr Marchand. 7-13-09

oldsoccerplayer

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2014, 05:12:24 PM »
My roller arrived today. Besides what I found on
http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/flexibilityandstretching/ss/FoamRoller_5.htm
does anyone have any other recommendations ... like how long for, how many times a day etc.?
Any advice much appreciated, I'm getting soreness around the op area and would like to start working on it.

chuckm

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2014, 06:46:14 PM »
Oldsoccerplayer, what worked for me was once a day, sometimes twice. Try lowering yourself and sitting on the roller like a bench. Cross your legs in a figure 4 where your op foot is crossed on your non op thigh. You might have to lean way back due to tightness. Then rock back and forth on that op side glut muscle. Go really slow and stop on those sore spots and try to relax and let the foam sink in. Push the op knee down to include a stretch with this and also lean forward a little too. Then roll more. Then put your legs back to straight and roll slowly all around the glut muscles (back, side, front). Then roll on the thigh (front back side)  -  that will probably hurt so go light.

You should be able to do this in five minutes or less. When you stand up after that you will notice your leg will not have any more soreness. At first it will all hurt a bit while you are rolling so you really have to use your arms to keep the weight off at first. Your arms will get stronger and the soreness will begin to go away until you begin to forget to use the roller. Just remember when your leg gets sore and you wonder...just go back to the roller.

Chuckm
Left BHR 11/30/12
46 years old

oldsoccerplayer

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2014, 12:15:26 PM »
Thanks for the advice!
I also went to youtube.com and did a search on "foam roller exercises it band". There are a few of them but I think they all recommend the same moves.
I'll let you know how it goes.

oldsoccerplayer

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2014, 12:11:09 PM »
Tried it out this morning. It hurt in places where I didn't know I had places! I'll take some time to get used to it and ease myself into the exercises. I'll also compare op side with non-op and see how it feels.

Debcoco

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2014, 09:16:29 PM »
I'm trying to get used to using a foam roller, too. I bought the BLUE one due to the medium "hardness". I tried the black, but that was torture.  So far I am liking how I feel AFTER using.

deb

hernanu

« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2014, 01:03:05 PM »
After feels great, it's the during that's an issue initially. I found that after a few weeks, my muscles had gotten past terrified to just affronted.

In due time (about a month and a half for me), it actually felt (and feels) good during.

Keep it up, it will be good.

Debcoco

« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2014, 05:11:43 PM »
Hi Hernanu,

Do you use the foam roller every day whether you exercise or not? Or just if your muscles feel sore?  Right now, I'm just using it after I exercise, but am wondering if I should use it every day?

deb

hernanu

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2014, 11:39:36 PM »
Hi Hernanu,

Do you use the foam roller every day whether you exercise or not? Or just if your muscles feel sore?  Right now, I'm just using it after I exercise, but am wondering if I should use it every day?

deb

Hey Deb - it's a daily thing with me, just a bit every morning depending on what's tight, but at least the lower back and the outer thigh muscles.

Debcoco

« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2014, 05:34:36 PM »
Good advice...thanks!

deb

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster