+-

Advertisements

Welcome Back

The Hip Talk Discussion Forum was hacked a few weeks back. It has taken me a long time to fix it. The only backup I could use was way back to April 2020. All members and posts up to that date are available. Anything newer has been lost. I am sorry, but that has been the only way to get things up and running again.

Author Topic: Knee Pain and Stiffness During Recovery  (Read 11906 times)

LDG

Knee Pain and Stiffness During Recovery
« on: April 20, 2014, 12:17:41 PM »
I am 10 days post op on a right hip resurface.  My pain has been manageable and I have been
weight bearing from day one.

I am having a problem straightening my right knee.  My in home physical therapist has given me instructions to continually try to straighten the leg at the knee when walking and when sitting but
it leads to knee soreness and pain.

Has anyone else experienced stiffness and soreness in the knee below the resurfaced hip
and how long did it last?

whyme

Re: Knee Pain and Stiffness During Recovery
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2014, 02:50:22 PM »
Hi, I had some issues on my knee after surgery, but nothing serious. It wasn't as much about straightening, but actually bending it, I would feel a sharp pain at some point. That went away maybe 2-3 months after.
Left hip resurfacing (Conserve Plus) 2013-09-04
Dr. De Smet

LDG

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2014, 04:09:08 PM »
I am assuming that the soreness is either from the manipulation during surgery or because my
hip is now at a different angle.

I've been icing and have my followup appointment in a few days so I guess I will find out more then.

oldsoccerplayer

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2014, 04:37:37 PM »
After 10 days your body is still trying to figure out what happened to it, my gut feeling is that  as much as the pain and discomfort, you are experiencing the post-op anxiety that I think is under-reported.
Keep reassuring yourself that if anything was seriously wrong you'd know about it. For several weeks you are likely to have a variety of symptoms that come and go.
For the record, my knees started hurting for the first time in my life just a couple of weeks ago at about 9 months post op and I think has to do with getting back to full activities. It might be related to internal rotation of the knee, IT band stress, or just age  - hard to tell at this point.
BioMet Left Hip Resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 07/2013

whyme

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2014, 04:38:29 PM »
There is possibly some swelling in your knee (even if not visible) and it doesn't allow to fully straighten it.
Anyway, soreness is also quite normal at this early stage in your recovery.
Left hip resurfacing (Conserve Plus) 2013-09-04
Dr. De Smet

LDG

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2014, 05:33:10 PM »
Does it make sense that the physical therapist wants me to straighten the knee even with pain?

Boomer

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2014, 05:58:36 PM »
LDG - Listen to what your body is telling you, not what your PT is saying. You are the only one who knows when to push a bit and when to back off. I had two very slow, but flawless recoveries because I was ultra careful about what I was doing. PTs are useful for teaching proper technique, but they are not useful as coaches.

Take care of yourself and your body will heal

Boomer
RBHR with Dr. Rector on 11/30/2011
LBHR with Dr. Rector on 6/11/2012

LDG

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2014, 07:13:48 PM »
Good advice, thank you Boomer!

Juno

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2014, 07:35:33 PM »
I agree with the others --- you are still so early in your recovery and there is no need to push further than your body will allow. You will feel all sorts of muscles twinges in the next few months. Most will resolve on their own. I had pain from my knee to my ankle for about 2 months after my first HR. It pulled everytime I tried to open my knee to the side. Over time it has gotten better --- I believe those muscles just had to realign and get used to walking a different way.

Wishing you all the best.
Right resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 7/11/13
Left resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 12/11/13

GreenHills

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2014, 02:56:11 AM »
I am right at about 5-weeks.  My advice would be to do the PT - as they say to do.  But use the pain as a guage and when you generate too much pain then back off.  10 days is still relatively soon so don't be down on yourself.  At 2 weeks I had strange muscle pain, bruising, swelling coming and going...it's all part of the recovery.

LDG

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2014, 11:06:30 PM »
I had my two-week checkup today and all went well.  The surgeon said that my knee pain is normal considering how much trauma my body has gone through.

I've been released to drive and start outpatient physical therapy.  I can also go back to the gym and work my upper body, use the elliptical, bike etc.

I was so buoyed that I walked 1/2 mile tonight and I feel great.

Just wanted to check in....

oldsoccerplayer

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2014, 02:20:36 PM »
Great news, LDG.
Just remember that you're still in the early stage of recovery so be careful not to overdo your workouts. You might also get various aches and pains in different places at different times, that's to be expected so don't stress over anything that isn't persistent.
Good luck as you move forward.
BioMet Left Hip Resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 07/2013

LDG

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2014, 10:44:50 PM »
Good advice!  After walking last night I took it easy today in preparation for therapy tomorrow.

One step at a time but I can tell that my energy level isn't where it should be.

hernanu

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2014, 03:22:26 PM »
Good advice!  After walking last night I took it easy today in preparation for therapy tomorrow.

One step at a time but I can tell that my energy level isn't where it should be.

Always guide yourself by your body. If you feel like you're low on energy, recharge. Lay low, enjoy the day - it's a long stroll, you can slow down every now and then.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

LDG

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2014, 09:56:29 AM »
I am now 3 weeks post op and the knee pain is subsiding. 

My physical therapist has been working to reduce the tension in my leg muscles causing spasms in the wound area.  They are also working to lengthen the muscles and tendons in my leg to accommodate the new position of my hip.  Lastly they are working on my gait trying to reduce the wear and tear on my knees.

It's slow progress and I'm spending more time in my bed at night before moving to the couch to use the back of the sofa as a resting place for my leg.  Last night was the first time I could sleep on my back for a time without feeling pain in my knee and hip.  After a few hours the discomfort came back necessitating the move to the couch.

I am walking without the aid of a cane and am feeling much more positive about recovery.

hernanu

« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2014, 01:24:35 PM »
When you sleep, do you put a pillow under your knee? I found that helped lessen the stress on my back and on my knee.

LDG

« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2014, 06:23:07 AM »
Now 5 weeks post op and things are moving right along.  Knee pain has subsided although sometimes still sore.

Physical therapy is working to restore a proper gait when walking but it's slow going.  I got in a lot of  bad habits compensating for the bad hip.

Trying to walk several times a week and keeping the distance to 1.5 miles or less.  So far no soreness and no problems.

Sleeping much better although I still don't sleep through the night.  Sleeping on my back brings the least amount of pain although I sometimes put a pillow under my leg.

All in all I'm happy with recovery so far and looking forward to incremental recovery.

hernanu

« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2014, 08:56:46 PM »
Sounds great, keep it up.

Recent Posts

Advertisements

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Accordion Player Pat Webmaster/Owner

Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy

Statcounter