+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: My Experience with Dr. Brooks  (Read 12839 times)

katekosar

• Disney Olympic 2006
My Experience with Dr. Brooks
« on: May 03, 2014, 11:18:12 PM »
I recently had my second experience with Dr. Brooks.  He did a left Birmingham hip resurface on my hip almost three years ago to the day.  I am glad that he is perfectionist.  So am I.  So when it came down three years ago to finding a surgeon who could get me up and training for Ironman Arizona again, it was a no-Brainer to go to Dr. Brooks and his P.A., Phil Golnik. 

After a year's restriction, I was well on my way to seriously training for IMAZ.  Unfortunately, during the 2d year (last year), my RIGHT hip started to crap out on me.  Sigh.  It got so bad that the night before the race, we were having supper with my daughter and her husband, and she says to me "you know you're hobbling, don't you?"  Well after putting in all that time, I forced myself to give it a shot.  Halfway through the swim, my hip gave out.  No more torque-power for me.  I womanned up to the situation and called it a day. 

From November to last week, I reconnoitered with my books, did my therapies on land and in the water, and took particularly good care of my body.  Unforch, the right hip didn't respond to any therapy, and it hurt like holy hell ... just like Mr. Left Hip had hurt three years previously.

So the good doctor and his personal assistant set me up for a right BHR, performed the morning of 04/30.  The doc was happy and upbeat before the surgery, and I was pretty daggone happy to receive the epidural block and Versed.  Out like a light.  Woke up happily when it was all over.  Coming down off of the extreme narcotics immediately post-op was a little painful, but we managed.  I'm four days out of surgery now, and firmly ensconsed on my sleep number bed with a pack of macadamias and some sugar free european chocolate.  And a diet pepsi to wash it all down.

Can't wait to get back on the road again.  Running the trails is something I have loved for years and years and years.  Now, I don't have to give it up.  Just postpone it a little bit.  I'll be back there.  I can see me running again.  It is beautiful.

I owe my running life to Dr. Brooks.  He is the nicest person you'd ever want to meet.  And also the most intelligent.  And compassionate.  The other day he came in for a chat, noticed that my feet were dangling, and with one swell foop picked them up & placed them properly on the bed.  Nothing is too hoity-toity for him.  I really really like that approach!

So to Dr. Brooks and your colleague, Dr. Tamaskar, I send out a sincere "thank you" for giving me my running back.  You have no idea just how deep these still waters run.  But the thought of actually RUNNING again makes me dizzy with anticipation.  Thank you, thank you, and thank you for the hope.  Hope is a really amazing emotion.  It changes you into the opposite of what pain does to you.  Give me hope, and the absence of pain, and I can do anything through him who strengthenest me.

For anyone wanting a recommendation:  I would trust Dr. Brooks with my life.  It's that simple, and he IS that good.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 02:55:15 PM by katekosar »

China Lady

Re: My Experience with Dr. Brooks
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2014, 03:36:47 AM »
I womanned up to the situation and called it a day
do you really mean what I believe you say?
never the less, take care and a good recovery for you!
..... I will find out

hernanu

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2014, 08:15:33 AM »
kate, it's great to hear from you and that you had a good, successful second!

As a (near) four year bi hippy, let me welcome you to the club. As you know, it will take time, but the time will pass in recovery. You are fully done and can just go forward.

Congrats and great that you are in good shape and spirits.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Debcoco

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2014, 01:54:05 PM »
Great news for you Kate! I had my RBHR back in December and I can already hear my left hip talking to me....but I won't wait near as long.

Good Luck with your recovery....knowing "the ropes" helps.

deb
RBHR, Dr. Richard Sellers, 04 DEC 13

Beth

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2014, 10:14:24 PM »
Kate,
  As another Dr Brooks female patient it's wonderful to hear your success story. 
Best of Luck on #2!
Beth
2/17/2014 RBHR Dr Brooks Cleveland Clinic
52mm cup  46mm head
LBHR planned for 6/19/2015: CANCELLED

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat