+-

Advertisements

Welcome Back

The Hip Talk Discussion Forum was hacked a few weeks back. It has taken me a long time to fix it. The only backup I could use was way back to April 2020. All members and posts up to that date are available. Anything newer has been lost. I am sorry, but that has been the only way to get things up and running again.

Author Topic: Ten weeks  (Read 9284 times)

breag

Ten weeks
« on: May 06, 2014, 03:57:52 PM »
Ten weeks post operation with Dr. Gross.  Feel great.  Some days though get aches not sharp pain but aches on the outside of the leg Below the incision toward the buttock. Does anyone else get this?  I have been swimming and biking and find that some days feels like nothing and then others not that great.  Just hope this is not and injury.  Does not stop me from doing anything.  Just some days feel like I am dead.  You guys get this?  What about swimming I swim but mainly kick with my strong leg.  Swim about a mile every other day, I figured the pool is safe?   any advice?

hernanu

Re: Ten weeks
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2014, 05:05:53 PM »
Hey --- congrats on your ten week!

Your body is still healing, trying to recoup and adjust to not being maladjusted.

You've also had major surgery and need to get better from that. In other words, you are all confused right now, but will get much better.

Your good days and bad days is pretty standard. You need to recover, just rest when your body tells you to (bad days) and do your stuff when it says it's ok (good days).

You're pretty active right now, just do what you can without pushing it too much. You'll be healing for a while, so remember that it's not a muscle recuperation alone, but the joint is the most vital thing.

I haven't done a lot of swimming, but if your surgeon said it's fine, then go for it. In moderation and don't be surprised when you hit a wall every now and then.

Sounds like you're doing fine.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Miguelito

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2014, 07:04:54 PM »
Hi,

I am at nine weeks tomorrow on my second hip (March 5th). Dr. Gross was also my surgeon. I am having the exact same issue you describe, though I am also getting some pain at the bony point on the side of the hip, and my quad muscle is seriously sore and irritated. But I know exactly what you are talking about the pain running down the side/back from the incision. Mine is also swollen a little. I am not sure exactly what it is, though as Hernanu points out, we are both in the early stages and swelling is possible for months.

I think my issues (minor I hope) are attributable to doing too much heavy yard work. I did it real slow (I can't do it fast) but I shouldn't have done it. I am way more sore (and not a good sore) than I was at one month. I am really going to cut back my stupid activities, BUT try to make a better effort at the stage II exercises that Dr. Gross has given us. I am in the process of doing my six week checkup remotely and was kind of holding off on the Stage II until I go the go-ahead, plus the area was sore. Just excuses, really. So today I started on Stage II exercises and immediately felt better.

I have no advice on pool but I think I have heard that that is fine.

If you only have pain after activity some of the time, I can't imagine that is an injury as it would hurt after activity all of the time.

Lastly, I just wanted to mention that Dr. Gross forbids bicycling (except exercycles, and perhaps only even upright ones) until six months because of the risk of femoral neck fracture in event of a crash, so I presume you are talking about an exercycle.

Good luck with the recovery!

Mike

P.S. I am having more pain at this point in my recovery than I did the first time, when I took it almost too easy (again, I believe I have just irritated things this time around (knock on wood) from doing too much). But I just wanted you to know that though I think it sounds like I am in a lot more pain than you are, and am not nearly as advanced in my recovery (swim a mile? forget about it) I am not really concerned about the problems I am having as I went thru this before and everything turned out fine despite having (several times) what I perceived as setbacks that troubled me at the time but turned out to be nothing.
RHR April 2012.
LHR March 2014.

Both Biomet Magnum/Recap 54/48, by Dr. Thomas Gross.

breag

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2014, 08:16:26 PM »
I think you are both right going to cut back on that mile swim, does not seem that bad but guess it really is a long way.  I guess best way to look at it is in 6 months will be able to swim as much as I want.  I guess being a p.e. teacher and tennis coach just used to doing a lot and then all of a sudden did nothing and now I think working out for an hour is not that much but really it is.  Got to think smart not dumb plus not as young as I once was :). Mike I would not do yard work if I were you I just hired someone to cut my grass.  I know it is frustrating not being able to do much and I am the pot calling the kettle black.  Hope you get to feeling better this is a long process.  Daniel

Miguelito

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2014, 08:56:16 PM »
I could handle cutting the grass now, but I was much worse than that. I was using a pickaxe to rip up a section of my yard where this 2 inch thick, ugly ground cover had taken over. It's not moss; much much harder to get rid of. Heather maybe? I had to use the pickaxe because I needed its weight to get thru (in my current condition I cannot generate explosive force with a lighter tool, not do I want to try). I really only did it as a proof of concept to see how hard it would be for my adult nephew to get the rest of it. Obviously shouldn't have done it.

For my first hip two years ago I tried to hire someone to mow the lawn but they didn't show so I just wound up doing myself. Reminds me of what I always wanted to tell people a few years ago when our first child was born pretty prematurely and people asked me what they could do to help. I was always sorely tempted to blurt out, "Mow my lawn!".

Mike
RHR April 2012.
LHR March 2014.

Both Biomet Magnum/Recap 54/48, by Dr. Thomas Gross.

whyme

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2014, 11:19:42 PM »
Hi, at 10 weeks I wasn't either swimming or cycling (outdoors), but I did static bike just for mobility since 5-6 weeks post-op (very low resistance and built up time from a starting point of 5' the first day). My focus was more on hip exercises (as recommended by the physio) and walking.
I started swimming @ 3 months (my choice, I could have begun a bit earlier), first around 1km twice a week, then built gradually first distance and more recently intensity as well, and now at 8 months I'm back to my old 3-4 km/session twice a week, swimming nearly as hard as before (and no pain or niggles after!! -months before surgery swimming was ok but after a pool session the hip used to be sore-).
Regarding cycling outdoors, again I chose to wait until 6 months, then started at around 20-25km once a week easy, now I do up to 30-45km/session, still not pushing intensity (and avoiding hills generally), once or twice a week.

Still I'm very alert and monitoring any signs of overdoing the day following these sessions.

You don't have to push too hard or too early. In particular, if you feel some aches, as others have said maybe is a good idea to cut back for a couple of weeks and see how it goes. This is a bit of trial and error, to find the right type and level of exercises to stimulate long term recovery.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 11:21:14 PM by whyme »
Left hip resurfacing (Conserve Plus) 2013-09-04
Dr. De Smet

lgbran

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2014, 06:22:31 AM »
Hi there
At 10 weeks I was recovering from DVT. So no activity for 2 weeks . Prior to this I was doing hydrotheraphy in the pool. I purchased a spin bike and spending a good 90  minutes on it in a session at. 4-5 months. I am just about at the 6  months stage and just starting to cycle on the road again.30- 55 ks but need to do it regularly. My hip at time feels sore and aches but it's fine the next day. My progress has been slow but making up,for lost ground now. It's heading into our Winter here soon so will be spending a lot more time on the spin bike and swimming.As the days roll into weeks you will notice a big improvement and every day it getting better and better.All the best in your ongoing recovery
Cheers Len
11/11/13 RBHR Stephen McMahon Melbourne australia
RBHR 11/11/13 by Stephen McMahon @
The Avenue Hospital Melbourne Australia

GreenHills

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2014, 05:20:47 AM »
I am at 10-weeks and I still get some weird muscle pain, especially if I'm sitting for a long period of time or driving.  Then I get up and walk around for a bit and the muscles seem to loosen and feel much better.  I think that until we get to 6-months, we will have some more adjustments with our muscles.  I think it is normal and part of our recovery.

Recent Posts

Advertisements

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Accordion Player Pat Webmaster/Owner

Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy

Statcounter

View My Stats