+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: golfing after surgery  (Read 8969 times)

Jerry C.

golfing after surgery
« on: May 17, 2014, 03:14:03 PM »
 I had my right hip done on 4-29 and am having my left hip done on 6-9.  Prior to arthritis in both hips I was a fairly decent player.  Handicap was a 1 at my best.  Age and arthritis really took its toll on my game.  Well I am hoping its more athritis and less about age!  :)  My driver distance used to be 260 to 280 on a solid shot.  Before surgery however I was lucky to hit it 220 yards.  My buddies would ask me if I hit a driver on that shot!  I still beat them most of the time though.  A good short game usually prevails.  I hope to regain the lost distance after both hips are replaced.  Hopefully I will spank the ball past my buddies and I can ask them if they used a driver!  :)  Jerry

Miguelito

Re: golfing after surgery
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2014, 07:53:40 AM »
Finally, a golfing post! I hope your recovery is going well and good luck on the upcoming surgery. I had my first hip done is April 2012, and by August was hitting the ball better than I had in years (but my driver distance had not yet returned). My other (front) hip went downhill fast starting that winter; I golfed twice in 2013 and wrecked my summer doing it. So I had the other hip done this March. I was golfing (carefully) at eight weeks, but I don't think I am ready at ten weeks after the other hip. This hip needs more time before golfing, I think because the swing demands more from the front hip than the back hip.

You are obviously a "golfer" (which has nothing to do with ability level -mine is low) so I have an idea of how much looking forward to golf means to you going thru this process and in your recovery. I don't know if you live in a warm or cold weather clime (I live in cold) but looking forward to golf after surgery is like liking forward to golf after winter, squared.

Mike
RHR April 2012.
LHR March 2014.

Both Biomet Magnum/Recap 54/48, by Dr. Thomas Gross.

Jerry C.

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2014, 12:09:04 PM »
 Thanks for replying Mike.  I live in a semi cold climate region.  Boise Idaho.  This season is pretty much toast I think.  I need to ask my surgeon when I see him next week when I can ease back into it.  I hate missing out on golfing this summer but hopefully the sacrifice will be well worth it.  Missing one season is better than giving up the game because of the pain.  Jerry

obxpelican

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2014, 10:28:46 PM »
I think I golfed 6 weeks post-op, maybe 7.  I was told to take it easy the first time out, I ended up playing all 18, beat my 3 golf buddies, won 3 of the 4 greenies.

I think because I was not trying to hit it full power my shots were much straighter.

Anyhow, you'll be golfing quicker than you think.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

Jerry C.

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2014, 11:00:24 PM »
Thank you for the encouraging words Chuck.

Jerry C.

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2014, 07:47:44 PM »
 My doc took me off restrictions after 3 weeks and 2 days!!  Went to the driving range later that day and hit a bucket.  Easy wedges at first to test out the hip.  By the end of the bucket I was actually hitting some drivers out there about 225 yards.  Left hip is bad though so that stops my hip from clearing.  Nice to be out there though!  :)

Miguelito

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2014, 08:34:42 AM »
Wow, that's amazing. I would never have been ready at three weeks. After right hip I went to the range (and golfed later that day) at eight weeks.

After left (front) hip, I waited ten weeks, yesterday, and did same thing, range then a round. Score was terrible. I had problems with all facets of my game, but I hit some nice shots too and had no hip issues.

Good luck with golf in your window!

Mike
RHR April 2012.
LHR March 2014.

Both Biomet Magnum/Recap 54/48, by Dr. Thomas Gross.

Jerry C.

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2014, 11:50:18 PM »
 Played 18 holes today and shot an 80!  That score is not much different than I was scoring pre surgery.  I did ride a cart to not overdue anything.  Looking forward to fixing the left hip.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat