+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: metal detectors  (Read 6767 times)

Jerry C.

metal detectors
« on: May 31, 2014, 10:01:09 AM »
 Had to go through courthouse security yesterday to get to assesors office.  Told the officers about hip resurfacing and surprisingly it did not set off machine.  They then used a wand over hip area and it did nothing as well.  Was surprised by this.  Jerry

hernanu

Re: metal detectors
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2014, 12:03:16 PM »
That is surprising (and good). Mine set off the alarms at the courthouse. I'm going to Mobile Alabama this thursday, expect interest from the TSA agents.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Miguelito

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2014, 12:20:52 PM »
I too am surprised. I set off alarms at courthouses/federal buildings too.

I was actually a little disappointed at the full-body scanner at the airport on way home from my latest surgery as it can't even see inside you (I think) and didn't care that I had two 1.75 pound hunks of metal inside me.
RHR April 2012.
LHR March 2014.

Both Biomet Magnum/Recap 54/48, by Dr. Thomas Gross.

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2014, 09:35:55 AM »
Very surprised by this! however the sensitivity of archways and detector wands can be altered for differing reasons. I have travelled by air several times post BHR and always set off detectors. I also use search wands regularly at work and they always indicate on my hip Strange.
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

oldsoccerplayer

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2014, 10:03:14 AM »
Mine set off the alarm at the Dept. of Homeland Security office. I was only about 3 weeks post op and unable to bend down to take my shoes off (which they also asked me to do). They were very nice about it and just let me in.
BioMet Left Hip Resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 07/2013

23109VC

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2014, 01:03:47 AM »
I am a prosecutor and work in a courthouse and walk through a metal detector every day the metal detectors in my courthouse do not get set off by my implant.

But I recently went to a prison facility because of my job and everyone, even people like myself in law-enforcement, must go through metal detectors to enter the facility.  I took off my shoes took off my belt took off all of my jewelry removed everything from my pockets and I kept setting it off.  I explained to the guards that I had a metal hip implant and they said that there detectors were sensitive enough very hip implant would set off the detectors.  They joked with me and said if I wasn't in law enforcement they would not have let me in because of the fact that I kept setting off the detector

So based on my experiences are hips will set off metal detectors it just depends on how sensitive the detectors are set

I now have a very low opinion on The metal detectors at work ha ha 
Sean
Dr. Gross- Left Hip - 2/23/11, Right Hip 7/19/23

lgbran

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2014, 06:30:26 AM »
After my hip,resurfacing  I found recently that some of the metal detectors at airports would go off and others wouldn't.Working in corrections and having to walk through a metal detector daily it is set of daily. Hand held scanner sets it off religiously. Metal detectors can be adjusted for sensitivity and body part targeted so enjoy the experience when it happens lol
Cheers
RBHR 11/11/13 by Stephen McMahon @
The Avenue Hospital Melbourne Australia

hernanu

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2014, 09:19:33 PM »
Just went to visit my girlfriend in Mobile, Alabama. Beautiful place, fine white sand beaches, great restaurants, cajun food and a nice relaxing genteel southern city.

I expected a challenge at the TSA gates, but at Logan airport in Boston and in the smaller Gulfport, Missisippi airport on the way back, I was put into the large walkthrough body scanners.

It was very cool and I went through without any problem. I'm sure they saw the implants, but no hassle whatsoever. They must be trained to spot that.

I was expecting cavity searches and maybe some time in a chain gang, but swift and easy.

I'm sure I'll run into one that doesn't have it, but for this trip.... not so bad.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal