+-

Author Topic: Impingement / Groin Pain  (Read 11600 times)

Stephan G

Impingement / Groin Pain
« on: June 06, 2014, 03:53:24 PM »
Hi All ~

I am just over five weeks post op and am experiencing impingement and groin pain and still on a cane.  Thought I would be off of it now as did my PT.  It is very challenging for me to pick something up off the floor if I'm sitting in a chair or a car seat.  My range of motion has gotten better since my surgery, but I get "jammed".  I can ride a bike now and get through the entire pedal stroke which I could not previously do - if I am mainly upright.  As I bend over I start to get impinged and would not be able to reach the handle bars of a tour/race bike without being very impinged. 

My PT has a lot of THR experience, but no BHR experience although he has been in communication with my doc as to what to be doing with me.  (Due to the travel time to my doc's PT group, I am working with a PT closer to me).  He thinks the impingement is coming from my joint.  I'm hoping that is not the case and it is per chance a tight psoas and other muscles that are tight and will loosen over the next few weeks.  My groin pain that I do get is on the inside of my thigh and I experience it when I put weight on my foot - thus causing me to limp and still needing a cane.

I believe I may be a longer than normal recovery since I had been compensating with my left leg more than I thought over the past few years and my right leg muscles are very weak and bound up.  Unlike many people, I had range of motion issues, but not pain which caused me not to do anything for a number of years until the last year or so.  Day to day
activities were not a problem and I worked around activities that caused pain and inflammation until I reached the point where I could not this past winter.  So I probably should have done this two years ago.

Anyone dealt with impingement or jamming that has gone away as well as inner groin pain?  I will be doing a six week check up with my doc next week and seeing his head PT as well.  I did a two week check up with my doc and X-rays showed my BHR placement to be spot on.  They are thinking I may have a bursitis issue.  Any input is greatly appreciated. 

Steve
Right BHR  -  April 30, 2014  -  Dr. Palmer

Tim Bratten

Re: Impingement / Groin Pain
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2014, 06:25:11 PM »
At five weeks it's common to walk with a limp and still need a cane. I walked with a limp until some time during the seventh week. And if you can bend over and pick things off the floor while sitting in a chair at five weeks, that's pretty impressive flexibility. As I recall, I wasn't even close to doing that at five weeks. Advice: don't force things this early in the game and give your recovery some time. In my case, regaining lost flexibility (lost maybe a decade ago) has been a very slow and gradual process. At four months, my resurfacing is doing really well, but it can still be difficult picking up something off the floor while sitting in a chair. 
Cheers
Tim
Botched LHR by Dr. Vilicich 06-17-2010 revised by Koen De Smet 02-14-2012
RHR Koen De Smet 02-05-2014

Stephan G

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2014, 09:39:08 PM »
Thanks for the response Tim.  Have you had any impingement issues?

Steve

Jerry C.

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2014, 10:31:34 PM »
 I am having similar groin discomfort also.  About 5 and a half weeks out.  I had been taking an anti-inflammatory for arhritis in my other hip.  My next surgery is Monday and I had to stop the meds pre surgery.  While on the meds I did not really feel this pain but it is more noticeable now.

obxpelican

• ~Welcome to SixBurgh~
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2014, 10:57:18 PM »
Bring up these issues with your doctor.  If he has no answers get your x-rays to another doctor, especially if you think the pain is getting worse.  Often another doctor with fresh eyes can pickup things that your doctor may miss. 

Are you getting sharp pains during movement that shoot up and down your leg?  Or is the pain just there all the time?  Often when you move to a certain point you will get a shooting pain with impingement.  Psoas issues usually show up as pain/stiffness in the groin and is aggravated the longer you walk much like you were pre surgery.

Good luck Steve we all hate to see a fellow hippy in pain.

Chuck

Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

Tim Bratten

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2014, 11:26:55 PM »
Have you had any impingement issues?

Steve

I did with the botched resurfacing that is mentioned in my signature. I had difficulty bending my leg in front (e.g. stepping up stairs) and the problem didn't go away wiith time. If you read through most any of the threads in this site you'll see it is completely normal to have some aches and pains for a time after surgery and typically flexibility is very slow in returning. I would say if you're still have these issues after a few months then you really are recovering slower than normal. But these problems you describe at five weeks sound like they are completly within the norm (and I suppose your doctor will confirm that). 
Cheers
Tim
« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 11:27:46 PM by Tim Bratten »
Botched LHR by Dr. Vilicich 06-17-2010 revised by Koen De Smet 02-14-2012
RHR Koen De Smet 02-05-2014

HowieF-16

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2014, 02:52:04 AM »
This sounds very similar to my experience. I used a stationary bike and did lots of hip flexor early in my rehab and OVER DID IT. This caused a lot of groin pain and impingement like symptoms. I took two-weeks off, lots of ice and anti-inflammatory meds and it helped.  At my two month follow-up, the Dr. recommended that I transition to just the elliptical and no biking. That has helped immensely. Talk to the Doc, take a break and ice up. Then try some different rehab, instead of a bicycle.
RBHR, Dr. Raterman, 1-8-14

Stephan G

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2014, 02:23:53 PM »
Thanks for all of the responses yesterday.  Groin pain is centralized and I have no shooting pain.  The most worrysome issue is the jamming/impingement I am getting.  I am probably expecting too much too fast and am used to quick recovery; quicker than most people - although I realize this is a major surgery and it seems it's much more major than a THR based on what I hear and people I know that are much older than me and have had THR's.  They have recovered quickly.  Just by feeling my inner thigh/groin muscles on my BHR side, I can tell they are very tight as compared to my other leg.   I have a talented doc who has done well over 1500 BHR's so I believe all is well with the BHR itself. 
Steve

obxpelican

• ~Welcome to SixBurgh~
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2014, 03:07:12 PM »
Sometimes the psoas rubbing on your device will cause some of the symptoms you are having.

Your pain should be easing and not staying the same unless you've pushed it lately.

Chuck

Thanks for all of the responses yesterday.  Groin pain is centralized and I have no shooting pain.  The most worrysome issue is the jamming/impingement I am getting.  I am probably expecting too much too fast and am used to quick recovery; quicker than most people - although I realize this is a major surgery and it seems it's much more major than a THR based on what I hear and people I know that are much older than me and have had THR's.  They have recovered quickly.  Just by feeling my inner thigh/groin muscles on my BHR side, I can tell they are very tight as compared to my other leg.   I have a talented doc who has done well over 1500 BHR's so I believe all is well with the BHR itself. 
Steve
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

peony

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2014, 06:45:57 AM »
Just like Howie-F16, I overdid it early in recovery and have exactly the same pain in my groin. It's like something griping me tightly when I put my foot down. I see doc next week and will mention it to him. PT says tight muscles and have to work on loosening them, but it's proving difficult. What is an elliptical? (I'm not a gym bunny).

HippyDogwood

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2014, 08:52:20 AM »
What is an elliptical? (I'm not a gym bunny).

A type of cross trainer. It's the one that imitates your natural running / walking action where you stand on pedals and do a kind of pedalling action whilst also holding handles which go backwards and forwards. Very low impact workout and I can do an hour session at a time on mine despite hip issues

joshb7_

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2019, 10:22:09 AM »
Hi Steve,

I've read your symptoms and can relate. I'm 13 months out and 30 yo. I'm still struggling with impingement bringing my knee to my chest and across my chest, this is a sharp pain and almost feels mechanically cannot move. Also, bending down causes groin and hip flexor pain, basically any movement that puts my hip into flexion at 90 degrees or beyond.

I am very worried that my new hip is not the spot this causing this hip flexor pain. Did your pain ease over time?

Whilst I have improved, I don't feel very good at 13 months and not much has changed in the range if motion from about 4 months.

Anyone else able to please advise me on what they think it is?

I've had ultrasound and shown no psoas bursitis or tendinitis. I've done rehab and soft tissue release. Whilst my glutes still don't fire as well as they should, this lack of flexion was bit an issue with my natural arthritic hip. I feel demoralised at the moment as I got the surgery done to be able to lead a sporty life again and to be able to run and play football. Without being able to get my hip flexed past 90 degrees without pain then this is not possible and thus a pointless surgery. Even in straddle position I get groin and hip flexor pain, is this weakness or the joint bashing into something? I will add I can now do breastroke kicks which I could not before the resurfacing.

Thanks for helping people if you have any advice or have gone through something similar. My surgeon says wait another six months to see if things will improve but I am sceptical given my slow progress. He suggests that I may just have to live with it the associated limited movement but feel this is a cop out as the whole point was to get a pain free active hip, which has now seemingly got worse. Could a revision be the answer? Or is it still tissues and muscles healing, especially given 9 years of dysfunctional hip.

Thanks,.Josh

frigator

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2019, 11:28:05 AM »
I was told I have an impingement by my doctor at my one year check up which explained why I could not get my leg much past 90 deg without pain. He told me my cup is high, he had to place it high to get the correct angle. He said I would have to live with it and to avoid movements past 90deg.

So I am over 18 months out and still have pain and have to ice my hip in the night, its like I am worse than before the operation. It must also be irritating my pudendal nerve as I cant sit anymore. Or maybe it was damaged. I dont know. I have to travel now to John Hopkins for this nerve issue. So it was a risk and it turned out not so good so far. I just hope it will get better over time. I was told my x-ray was "perfect". I stilll dont understand how it can be perfect with this impingement.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2019, 01:44:22 PM »
I am sorry to hear you both are having impingement problems.  I wish I could help, but I don't know much about it since I am not a doctor or medically trained.
I would hope that with time, it might improve.  Some people do take a very long time to heal.

I would also suggest that you send your x-rays and information to several of the other top surgeons and see what they might have to say. They do free email consultations.

https://surfacehippy.info/hip-resurfacing-doctors/
I hope you can find some relief.  I know that you are hurting and very unhappy and wish you never had surgery. Fortunately, for most people it works very well, but when you are the few having problems - it is very frustrating. I can understand.
Pat

Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Mission Statement
Surface Hippy presents information about hip resurfacing. It does not provide medical advice.
It is designed to support, not to replace, the relationship between patient and clinician.
Advertising - Revenue from this site is derived from commercial advertising and individual donations. Any advertisement is distinguished by the word "advertisement"
Privacy - Surface Hippy does not share email addresses or personal information with any group or organization.
Content - Surface Hippy is not controlled or influenced by any medical companies, doctors or hospitals.
All content is controlled by Patricia Walter - Joint Health Sites LLC 2005 - 2018 Web design by Patricia Walter.

Hip TalkModeration

Authority

The Hip Talk Discussion Group or forum is moderated on a Daily basis by Patricia Walter.

The moderator and forum members are not regarded as health professionals.

Complementarity

The information provided on this forum is designed to support, not replace, the direct relationship between patients and health professionals.

Privacy

We remind you that this forum is public and any message can be read, used, reproduced and cited by all.
You do have the option to delete your messages. However, under exceptional circumstances, you can contact the moderator to do so. Thus, please take care regarding the information that you post.

The moderator and members should conduct themselves at all times with respect and honesty.

By using our forums, you agree to post information that is true and correct to the best of your knowledge and is of your personal experience. If the information you post is not personal experience, we request you to provide sources (references, links, etc..) whenever it is relevant and possible.

You are not allowed to post advertisements, whether in the form of text links or banners, for example.

Please keep your comments positive and polite. If you have a disagreement with another forum member, moderator or the site owner; please use the the private message feature of this forum or email the member. We try to avoid emotional conflicts on the discussion group and we will do so by removing posts and banning those that cause problems.

The moderator reserves the right to delete any messages deemed inappropriate without notifying the author. In cases of abuse, the moderator reserve the right to ban a member of the forum. In both instances, an explanation will be provided if user requests.

Recent Posts

Re: Blurry vision post-op by rday12
June 29, 2020, 10:45:58 PM

Re: Blurry vision post-op by Pat Walter
June 29, 2020, 04:36:07 PM

Blurry vision post-op by PaulBridgwater
June 29, 2020, 02:41:11 PM

Re: 6 days post op how much swelling? by PaulBridgwater
June 29, 2020, 02:32:21 PM

Advertisements

HONcode

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information:
verify here.

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

HTML ezBlock

View My Stats