+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: 2.5 Year follow up w/ Dr. Gross......metal ions  (Read 4461 times)

imgetinold

• Global Moderator
2.5 Year follow up w/ Dr. Gross......metal ions
« on: June 17, 2014, 12:23:15 PM »
Hi everyone.  I haven't been on here in over a year.  I was just excited to get my metal ion test results back:  as close to zero as you can get!  I was excited about that.

Other than that, things are awesome.  I still cannot really run.  I've been to PT, I've tried many different approaches to training, bought the HOKA One One shoes.  Still can't get more than 3/4 - 1 mile before the soreness sets in.

BUT.....I can do everything else.  I rarely even think about my hip.

Anyway, here's to living life!

Andy
Andy
- Right Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 1/11/2012
- Left Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 10/28/2020

BOILER UP!

hernanu

Re: 2.5 Year follow up w/ Dr. Gross......metal ions
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2014, 02:00:48 PM »
Congrats Andy! Good news on the metals front. I'm at four years and still making some (small) improvements now, so don't get discouraged.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

NJDRE

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2015, 12:46:06 PM »
Glad to hear about the metal Ion results. I had mine done in August 2011. Will go back next month for a check up and have mine tested. Before the operation I skied a lot at Killington. I took off the winter of 2011-12 and was overly cautious during the 2012-13 season. During the 2013-14 season I pushed it a little more and was still OK. Last year 2014-2015 I turned 62 and I pushed it to the max and skied the whole mountain several days in a row with no pain at all. Took some falls and was scared a little but had no problems whatsoever. No doubt in my mind that the operation was an overwhelming success.
Good luck
Ken 

Daytona Dave

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2015, 11:14:23 AM »
Hi Andy,
That's great news about the ion results.
I am interested to hear more about your attempts to run. I have exactly the same problem with my 6 year old hip resurface. After about a mile it starts to niggle and eventually I have to walk to ease the pain. The pain is very much like the osteoarthritis pain pre op. My physio thinks its related to my hip flexors being extremely tight, and told me to push through it. If I continue to run with the pain I am in agony for the next 4 hours, then next days everything is back to normal and feeling fine.
Is this the sort of thing you experience and have you any tips that have helped at all?

Dave

karlos.bell

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2015, 04:04:13 AM »
Hi Andy. Awesome great news. Cheers K
2019-2020 THR Left & Right COC Revision Zim Continuum cup with Biolox Delta Cer Liner, Biolox Delta Cer Head 40mm 12/14 Taper, CPT Stem Cem.
2019-2020 removal of Hip Resurfacing due to Metal Toxicity Cobalt - Chromium.
2015 MOM Conserve plus
2011-2013 FAI hip surgery failure
2007-Injury wakeboarding

imgetinold

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2015, 11:01:06 AM »
Daytona,

Sorry for the late reply.....I almost never check in anymore.

I also just posted something on the running, but I'll put it here, too.

I have still only run about 1/2 mile to 1 mile before I get a soreness in my groin, deep down.  If I keep pushing it - like I did just this spring when I ran a favorite old 5k trail - I was hobbling for a week afterwards.  And, yes, like you, it feels like the pre-operation pain.

Today, I did the leg workout in the "Tapout XT2" DVD.  It amounted to 45 minutes of squats, jumping, burpees, etc.  About 10 minutes afterward, I took the dog for the morning walk.  About 1/2 way around the neighborhood, I decided to start jogging.  I ended up running almost a mile, with NO onset of the soreness. 

I do have some residual weakness in the operated glute.  Certain stability exercises are harder on that leg......like if you stand on the operated leg only, keep it straight, and bend over and touch your toe.  When I do that, my body wants to pivot and I have to concentrate REALLY hard to stay facing my toe.  That doesn't happen on the other leg.  It's not tight hip flexors,

Now,  I am wondering if I have some muscles on my operated side that - without some serious activation - just don't do their job.  So, when I just go out and run, I get sore because those muscles are just not working.  But, after 30 minutes of squatting, they have no choice but to start firing, and then they keep working during a run.

I will be testing this over the next week or two (although it's hard to keep the motivation to run after 30-45 minutes of squatting......)

Andy
Andy
- Right Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 1/11/2012
- Left Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 10/28/2020

BOILER UP!

karlos.bell

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2015, 07:58:26 PM »
 :) Hi Imgetinold. There is a thing called Obturator Entrapment as well. Groin thing. Very unlikely but is related to running, twisting, squatting, jumping etc...
An insidious type of thing. Where the Obturator adductor nerve gets compressed slightly in some fascia. This nerve is also connected via a plexus outside of the spine into the femoral nerve. A very complicated issue. But it can cause groin pain. Exercise makes it worse. If your HR's are put in well there should be no issue it could be something else as there are many things it can be in the HIP or GROIN area. This area they still do not know enough about yet.

Doctors know about this and one of the main tell tails is the adductors get weak once worked up. Ask a sport doctor for his opinion after a work up that is a run.... Awesome you can run and giving it your best. I hope to do that one day. Cheers K
2019-2020 THR Left & Right COC Revision Zim Continuum cup with Biolox Delta Cer Liner, Biolox Delta Cer Head 40mm 12/14 Taper, CPT Stem Cem.
2019-2020 removal of Hip Resurfacing due to Metal Toxicity Cobalt - Chromium.
2015 MOM Conserve plus
2011-2013 FAI hip surgery failure
2007-Injury wakeboarding

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Today at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
Yesterday at 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz