+-

Advertisements

Welcome Back

The Hip Talk Discussion Forum was hacked a few weeks back. It has taken me a long time to fix it. The only backup I could use was way back to April 2020. All members and posts up to that date are available. Anything newer has been lost. I am sorry, but that has been the only way to get things up and running again.

Author Topic: Rowing and Hip Resurfacing  (Read 14382 times)

TomBuell

• Right Birmingham Hip Resurfacing 7/1/08
Rowing and Hip Resurfacing
« on: June 26, 2008, 05:30:00 PM »
I didn't know how to start a new sports topic, so I'm just going to jump in here. I'm a 52-year-old male living in Pittsburgh, PA. I'm having RBHR surgery on July 1, 2008 by Dr. Ari Pressman at St. Clair Hospital. Before the pain and loss of flexibility caused by osteoarthritis stopped me, I was an avid rower here in Pittsburgh. I've won medals in national championships (US & Canada). My doctor, who is also a rower, told me I'll be able to row again. For this, and many other reasons, I'm really looking forward to this surgery and the return to flexibility.
I would be curious to hear from any other rowers who have had BHR or other hip surgeries. I will report back after surgery and during recovery.
- Tom in Pittsburgh

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Rowing and Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 07:49:56 PM »
Hi Tom

Welcome to Hip Talk.  I didn't think about a category for rowers, sorry.

I hope you will keep in touch after your surgery.  I would be happy to post a story for you on the Athletes page in the regular website when you get back to rowing.  It would be great to have some photos and videos of you back in action.

That's great Dr. Pressman is also a rower. 

I live on the Ohio River in Marietta, OH and see the crew teams all the time.  It is a great sport.

Good Luck and keep in touch.

Pat

Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

TomBuell

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 08:15:54 PM »
Thanks Pat. I've rowed with several guys who rowed at Marietta College. I will keep you posted on my recovery.
- Tom
« Last Edit: July 04, 2008, 09:06:34 PM by TomBuell »

TomBuell

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2008, 09:14:03 PM »
My surgery took place on Tuesday without a hitch. I was in a fair amount of pain initially, especially when moving to change dressings, etc. However, that diminished slowly but surely. I was in physical therapy the next day and could already notice an improvement in flexibility and lack of bone-on-bone grinding. It was a great feeling. They got me set up on crutches and I came home last night. The insurance company sprung for a hospital bed on our main floor, so I don't have to climb all the steps to our bedroom, although I'm feeling more and more like I could. The doctor has me on crutches for 3 weeks and restricted to 20 percent pressure. It's going to be hard to control myself from putting more weight on it.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2008, 08:21:09 PM by TomBuell »

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2008, 07:39:30 PM »
Hi Tom

You are an official Surface Hippy now! 

Each doctor has a different post op recovery protocol.  You will want to be more active and walk around, but it is always best to listen to your own doctor. 

Good Luck and keep in touch.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

sroberts

• rbhr Dr Rogerson 6/26/08
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2008, 10:02:18 PM »
Tom,

Congrats on your surgery. While I don't row competitively, I have used it as a training tool on the concept II ergometer. I was a competitive duathlete and triathlete before being subjected to the major inconveniences of osteoarthritis. I was able to bike right up until surgery (June 26th). I have no doubt you'll be able to row again.

Keep us updated on your progress?

take care and don't rush the rehab,

spencer

TomBuell

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2008, 03:17:05 AM »
Thanks Spencer. I know a lot of people are discovering the Concept II ergometer (we just call it the Erg) as a great cross-training tool. I see a lot of people in the gym using it wrong, which means they're in danger of injuries and not getting the most out of it.
How soon after surgery did you go into the pool? Did you have to cover/seal your incision?
Cheers - Tom

sroberts

• rbhr Dr Rogerson 6/26/08
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2008, 04:27:18 PM »
Tom,

The hip hab used tagaderm for my 2 pool therapy sessions but told me not to use my pool until the scab on the incision is totally scab free. I did the pool therapy sessions 4 and 5 days post op.

spencer

bothdone

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2008, 03:34:39 PM »
I've had both hips done with the Birmingham Hip.    On both occasions I got into rowing on the erg within a few months of the op.    I haven't had problems on either occasion.    Seven months after my second hip I can now row 20 minutes hard and under 7m40s for 2000m.  I'm in my mid 50s.
LBHR 25 May 2004
RBHR 19 March 2008

TomBuell

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2008, 05:29:41 PM »
Sounds good. I'm going in tomorrow for my 4-month check. I've been on the erg (Concept II) since just past 6 weeks, working up slowly in distance and pressure. It's good for building strength and range of motion. I haven't done a full-out 2K yet but maybe soon. I'll keep you posted.
Thanks, Tom

FlbrkMike

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2010, 06:21:38 AM »
I never rowed on water but have a Concept II that I used religiously for about 12 years.  I've always had some stiffness in both hips but it got to the point a few years ago where I couldn't grab the bar without taking my feet off the footrests.  Then one day I felt a twinge in my left groin area on a stroke where I think I may have snapped back too far.  Didn't hurt all that much at first but within a few days it was very painful.  My internist diagnosed it as hip flexor tendonitis and prescribed PT.  The PT always felt good when I was done but it never really helped in the long run.  This eventually led me to see an orthopaedic surgeon who immediately recognized it as OA.  That got me started on my journey to where I am now...medical clearances complete, waiting for scheduling for my LBHR to be followed by the other side.  

Can't wait go get back on the erg.  It's still in the garage.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 06:22:48 AM by FlbrkMike »
Dr. Ball
56 years old
LBHR 2/11/11
RBHR 3/11/11

FlbrkMike

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2011, 10:50:50 PM »
My erg is still standing in the garage, where it's been for about 3 years since I was last able to use it.  I worked out on that thing for 12 years until I couldn't do it amymore because of the OA.  

I was out in the garage a few minutes ago and started looking at it.  Sure would be nice to get some exercise.  I was down to swimming (in warm weather) and walking a lot for the past couple of years, but I've done basically nothing for 2 1/2 months now except for some PT and walking, but not fast enough to make me breathe hard.  

Maybe that's why I've been feeling so crappy the past week.  Can't sleep well, tired all the time, head gets fuzzy.  I just brought the trash cans up the driveway and was almost out of breath from that!!  I really need to get some exercise.  The pool isn't quite warm enough yet.  Don't have a stationary bike and don't belong to a gym.  I think the erg is looking back at me, saying "get me outta here!!"

I asked my PT yesterday if she thought it would be OK for me to row.  She said she didn't think it was a good idea before all of my "hip restrictions" are lifted.  The thing is, my flexion limit has been 120 degrees from the beginning and I don't think I'm going to get that far, even on the rowing machine, especially if I'm going slowly.  I don't see how else it could hurt.

I think I need to do this...  
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 10:52:11 PM by FlbrkMike »
Dr. Ball
56 years old
LBHR 2/11/11
RBHR 3/11/11

FlbrkMike

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2011, 01:17:18 AM »
I slowly started rowing on my C2 again in June after several years off because of back and hip problems.  For several weeks now I've been doing two sessions a week and slowly building up my speed and pace.  I find that both my strength and stamina are not close to what they once were, but they are coming back with each workout.

I did three sessions this week - Tuesday, Thursday and today (Friday) and decided to start keeping track of some benchmark times.  Yesterday I did 7:54.5 for 2K, which is not particularly fast but my goal was to break 8:00.  I did it but it was very exhausting. 

Today I did my first 10K in probably 5 years.  With no idea what I could do my goal was to do 44 minutes, a 2:12 pace.  I was able to keep it under 2:11 most of the time and ended up at 43:34.0 (a 2:10.7 pace).  I probably could have gone faster but not much.  Plus I now have about three blisters to deal with.  I think I'll swim laps tomorrow.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 01:18:00 AM by FlbrkMike »
Dr. Ball
56 years old
LBHR 2/11/11
RBHR 3/11/11

bothdone

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2011, 08:10:06 AM »
Hi Mike

Congrats on getting back in there and on breaking 8 mins for the 2km.  That's about the same stage I'm at after having a break from it.   The furthest I've ever done on it is 30 mins - the thought of 10km is tough.   I did a 5km recently and that was hard enough.

I find the erg really works my heart and lungs.    If I put a heart rate monitor on I get to my max quite easily.

Ed

LBHR 25 May 2004
RBHR 19 March 2008

DGossack

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2011, 04:09:18 PM »
You guys are amazing.  Rowing is certainly a total body workout.  This certainly works the new hips!

I may be inspired to add an exercise that won't pound my hips.

Dan
LBHR, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

FlbrkMike

« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2011, 04:56:19 AM »
It's great to know that there are other hippies doing this.  I think it's a great form of exercise for us because of the completely non-impact nature of the workout.

I've been concentrating lately on putting a lot of meters on the erg, as this is really my only exercise besides walking before work every morning, and I need to lose some weight (I'm about 5' 11" and weigh 235 lb).  I'm not worried too much about going fast, though I expect the times to come down eventually.  Today I did 14,000 meters (2K warmup, two 5K pieces and 2K to cool down) in about 1 hour total, and I've done about 62K in the past week.  My 5K pieces are averaging around a 2:08 pace.

I've joined an online rowing "team", called Free Spirits Rowing through the Concept2 website.  There are over 300 people on this team, some very active and some not so active.  There are guys there rowing in the low 6 minute range for 2000 meters and 36 minutes for 10K, and there are also a lot that are more like me.  They run a message board like this one where people discuss their goals and their progress, and they are all very supportive no matter what level you are at.  I find this very inspiring as it helps me to continue my workouts without any real pressure to compete or anything.  Before my hips and back got too painful I rowed on my C2 for 10+ years in my garage, basically in isolation because I didn't know anybody else who was doing it. 

It's nice to be able to discuss and compare experiences and progress, just as we all do on this great website.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 05:01:42 AM by FlbrkMike »
Dr. Ball
56 years old
LBHR 2/11/11
RBHR 3/11/11

bothdone

« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2011, 08:55:10 AM »
62km in a week!   Wow!  That's a huge total. 

I usually just do two sessions which probably add up to 5km to 8km in total.   I do my sessions in a gym.  Sometimes I'll warm up on the treadmill.  Other times I'll do a minute warm up on the rower, rest, and then blast away on it for a faster row.   I like doing 10 minutes on the rower starting at an easier pace and then gradually getting faster.   I tend to finish those sessions gasping away, making strange noises and unable to move!

As you say, it is impact free and is a total body workout.  I also find it a good mental workout, both in handling the idea of the distance and then keeping going when you'd really rather stop.    It makes you wonder why we do it.    ::)

Ed
LBHR 25 May 2004
RBHR 19 March 2008

FlbrkMike

« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2011, 02:58:44 PM »
Hi Ed,

I do all sorts of things to keep from going nuts.  Count strokes (my wife and kids wonder why I get so PO'd if they try to talk to me while I'm rowing), try to minimize strokes per 500 or 1000 meters, try to stay on a steady pace or alternate one minute hard rowing with one minute easy or 500 m hard with 500 m easy, start from 0 and watch the meters increase, set a distance and watch the meters count down, etc., etc.

Sometimes I dread getting started but I usually end up in sort of a trance after a while.  Like you said, I think it's a good mental workout.  I spend most of the day thinking about techincal matters and managing a group of engineers.  I think the workout helps me to empty my brain.

Mike
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 03:00:02 PM by FlbrkMike »
Dr. Ball
56 years old
LBHR 2/11/11
RBHR 3/11/11

bothdone

« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2011, 07:30:27 PM »
Hi Mike

I like to break things down to percentages and then count them down.   1% done, 2%, etc.  It takes a bit of mental calculations and passes time without realising how much you've still got to do.  It is always great when you get 51% done.  Downhill from there.

Ed
LBHR 25 May 2004
RBHR 19 March 2008

FlbrkMike

« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2011, 08:26:04 PM »
HA!! 

I do that too, or often I use fractions.  1/10, 1/8, 1/5, 1/4...3/4, 7/8, 9/10, depending on what my total is divisible by.  That originated from swimming laps in my (short) pool.  120 laps is divisible by 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 10, 12, 15, 20, 24, 30, 40 and 60.  The time between 1/3, 1/2, 2/3 can seem like forever sometimes but it seems to accelerate when you get to 9/10 and higher.

Sometimes I worry about me...

Dr. Ball
56 years old
LBHR 2/11/11
RBHR 3/11/11

Recent Posts

Advertisements

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Statcounter

View My Stats