+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Can a hip be too far gone for BHR  (Read 6552 times)

Daytona Dave

Can a hip be too far gone for BHR
« on: June 29, 2014, 10:09:23 AM »
Can a hip be too far gone for BHR?
Just a niggling comment made by the radiographer when I was recently referred from my local hospital to Birmingham. He made it sound as though my hip was too worn or was at least borderline. No one has ever mentioned this to me before and so I have been hanging on in there until the pain gets too bad.

Anybody else heard anything about this?

HippyDogwood

Re: Can a hip be too far gone for BHR
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2014, 03:52:53 PM »
The answer is definitely yes.

The surgeon will want to see both a healthy blood supply and good bone mass at the femoral neck, otherwise the risk of BHR failure goes up enormously. I think that in practice you would need to be lucky to be managing the pain associated with being at that stage though

Mike D

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2014, 05:34:11 PM »
Yes, as hippy says Dave- unfortunately, not all hips can be resurfaced.
All the more reason to go to the very best surgeon available to you- they will know immediately if you are a candidate and will only carry it out if it's right for you.
Many people-me included, wanted to be resurfaced but can't have it because our hip geometry or bone structure mean it wouldn't be a success.
If you can't be resurfaced, don't despair. A large ball Oxinium THR is a superb alternative.
Mine feels fantastic at almost two years and at 52, I'm very hopeful I won't be looking at a revision.
In no way should a THR be viewed as an inferior option. The right surgeon will do what is best for you.
Right Ceramic THR
Ronan Treacy   Birmingham R.O.H
8 August 2012

obxpelican

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2014, 11:00:15 AM »
It's rare for you to be too far gone for an HR, however it can happen.

Remember they will remove part of the top of your femoral head and they will grind out your acetabular so they can implant the cup so the wear and tear will be removed for the most part.

A good doctor can deal with a well worn hip.

Chuck

Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

Daytona Dave

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2014, 03:21:03 PM »
Thanks for the replies.
Does not sound too likely then (fingers crossed). My hip is worse than it was when I had the last one done, but not dramatically worse.
Mike I would much rather have a resurface because my job is in construction and I am often clambering around on roofs and hanging off ladders. I fear a THR would dislocate or do some other damage. But it is great that you are very happy with yours. But at the end of the day it wont be my decision. :-\

Mike D

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2014, 06:29:40 PM »
Dave,
I'm also in construction- a self employed joiner.
I had massive concerns about how a THR would work crawling around in tight spaces but it's never been an issue so far.
I'm on ladders, trestles, roofs-wherever the job takes me and the hip feels great.
Mr Treacy asked me about my work and told me there would be no problems with all the bending and stretching and that's how it's worked out.
If you can look up Tim Bratten's story on here, he's back rock climbing on his THR and says he is climbing as well as he ever did-he too is putting his new hip through a fair bit of stress with no problems.
Right Ceramic THR
Ronan Treacy   Birmingham R.O.H
8 August 2012

HowieF-16

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2014, 08:21:24 PM »
Dave, only an experienced HR surgeon can determine if your hip is too far gone. I was concerned that mine was  too far gone. I had ZERO cartilage on my femoral head and about 40% missing in the socket. I was bone on bone for over five years and had several cysts on the femoral head. I met with Dr. Raterman in Tampa and reviewed my X-Rays and concerns. He explained specifically how he would deal with these challenges. I decided to have the surgery and became a surface hippy in Jan 2014. It's been almost seven months and I am very pleased with the results. My recommendation is to meet with a highly experienced surgeon and then make a decision. Good luck.
RBHR, Dr. Raterman, 1-8-14

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2014, 02:59:06 AM »
Dave if you see Mr Treacy then you will be under the most experienced surgeon in the world so if he can't do it then no one can. I'd be very surprised if you wake up with anything other than a bhr!
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

Daytona Dave

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2014, 05:30:35 PM »
Thanks to all. All very encouraging stuff. .whatever the outcome.    Consultation on 17th July so not too long. Will give an update  ;)

obxpelican

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2014, 08:48:27 PM »
Treacy is one of the surgeons that can almost guarantee a great result.

You'll be fine, he's very good.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

Daytona Dave

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2014, 03:01:17 AM »
So yesterday was judgement day. I went to the Birmingham Royal Orthopaedic Hospital for a consultation. And great news, my hip is ok for a BHR  ;D  Even better is that I am only waiting less than 8 weeks.
What a fantastic friendly hospital too. Have the feeling I am in safe hands.

Did not see Mr Treacy in the end, but I saw Mr Pearson who seems extremely qualified also.
Actually looking forward too it ( seems a bit wrong). I think you know  the time is right when you prefer the knife over the day to day pain.  :)

whyme

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2014, 02:46:15 PM »
Good news! Yes, 8 weeks is not a long wait. I hope it works out well for you.
Left hip resurfacing (Conserve Plus) 2013-09-04
Dr. De Smet

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2014, 03:55:58 PM »
Excellent news!!
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

evant

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2014, 04:13:10 PM »
"What a fantastic friendly hospital too. Have the feeling I am in safe hands."

Your feelings are correct - you've made a wise choice.

Maintain your fitness as best as possible prior to the operation.

Best of luck.
rbhr 3 january 2013
mr ronan treacy
royal orthopaedic hospital, birmingham, england

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat