+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: A well done THR does not limit you  (Read 10857 times)

Tim Bratten

A well done THR does not limit you
« on: July 01, 2014, 10:40:37 PM »
Not all THRs are created equal. Some people who post on this site seem to be under the uniformed misimpression that anyone who has a THR will have some serious activity restrictions. This depends, of course, on who does the surgery and what kind of THR system is used. Personally. I really don't feel at all limited in my activity (rock climbing) and in fact I can climb better with revision surgery than many kids with natural hips who are half my age (at this point I'm climbing better than I have in six or seven years and with the new HR in place I feel the field is open in terms of what I can achieve)

If would like to share three short bouldering videos. Tell me if I seem like a 56 year-old-man with serious activity restrictions:

About one year after revision to THR:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jUOrd6VtnQ

More than two years after revision to THR:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10SEaGlzqM8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6sjpYhEn8

The last problem is the hardest and very hip intensive on THR side (there are two heavy duty heel hooks which you can't see because of the angle of the camera but the delays in my movement occur because I am fighting to move the heel into place). This is a problem that I haven't been able to do for about six or seven years and it is my ability to use the THR side that has made it possible again.

Please do not assume that a well done THR is some great limiting factor

Cheers
Tim

« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 10:47:11 PM by Tim Bratten »
Botched LHR by Dr. Vilicich 06-17-2010 revised by Koen De Smet 02-14-2012
RHR Koen De Smet 02-05-2014

obxpelican

Re: A well done THR does not limit you
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2014, 08:56:24 AM »
A large ball and cup THR can be a good thing but far too often patients are being sold on the small ball and cups that can dislocate and come with many restrictions.

Revisions to THRs can be very tricky too and that is why an HR can either buy you time or it can possibly be taken to the grave.

Chuck

Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

hernanu

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2014, 09:16:30 PM »
Great stuff to watch, Tim. Like you said, DeSmet did well by you.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

John C

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2014, 12:56:02 AM »
Thanks for the great videos Tim. Fun to watch the problem solving and the contortions that you and your new hips can pull off.
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

evant

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2014, 01:41:53 AM »
Well done Tim.

Great strength and flexibility in both hips.
rbhr 3 january 2013
mr ronan treacy
royal orthopaedic hospital, birmingham, england

Tim Bratten

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2014, 02:39:29 PM »
Thanks for taking an interest, guys. The HR is also working really well (lately it's been improving much faster than the revision did). It's been a lot of fun, ability-wise, because it's like traveling back in time. Right now I'm about two years or so before the first (botched) surgery, but I'm on the verge of doing some things I haven't been able to do for about 10 years! For one thing, the fact that the surgeries have worked out so well has motivated me to get more focused on training. Now I just need to loose about 10 pounds (I'm working on it)! 
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 02:41:17 PM by Tim Bratten »

Arrojo

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2014, 02:40:51 PM »
Regarding limitations of a THR - my understanding is that you are not allowed to run with a THR, because the impact will break the implant.  At least that is what the orthopedists told me.  Is that not accurate?
Dr. Su
RBHR 4/9/12

Tim Bratten

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2014, 02:46:55 PM »
Regarding limitations of a THR - my understanding is that you are not allowed to run with a THR, because the impact will break the implant.  At least that is what the orthopedists told me.  Is that not accurate?

I never asked De Smet specifically about serious running, per se (e.g. marathons, road racing, etc.) because that's something that never interested me, however in terms of general activity he said: "go jogging, play tennis, do what you want". He knew all about my climbing before the revision.

« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 06:16:24 AM by Tim Bratten »

Anna

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2014, 06:02:13 PM »
That's great Tim! Great to see you are doing so well  ;D

Anna
RTHR - 08/08/2013 -Mr johan witt, London

coloradopatrick

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2019, 07:02:21 PM »
This is an extremely important topic and I'd like more stories and info from people with THR vs HR. 

The main limitation of THR is 1. Possible fractures of the femur because the load is not natural vs HR and 2. Revision THR is much more complicated.  Dr Pritchett has a video on Youtube where he discusses better outcomes from HR vs THR in terms of function but I have not seen this published.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2019, 08:36:22 AM »
I have Dr. Pritchett's Video posted here:  https://surfacehippy.info/dr-pritchett-discusses-hip-resurfacing-and-follow-up-of-270-patients/   It is very interesting and pro hip resurfacing.

Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

LMS

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2019, 06:53:11 PM »

Both times I had surgery (debridement & microperf., and THR), first thing they asked was "are you a jogger/runner" to which I always replied "look at my body... does it look like I run?".  So no.  They don't like people involved in intense sports that will cause repeated impact on the joint because they are the people they will see coming back with joint issues. 

I was asked to not get back into downhill skiing because of the risks.  I said fine, as long as I could still ride (horses) , I would consider not doing other sports (including anything that I could fall from an extreme height, so bungee jumping, sky diving, or quick stop & go like single tennis).  We went through my list of activities I wanted to get back to, eliminated some & adapted some. 

You can't stop living but you can consider compromising & being smart about it.

I have so much scar tissue that I'm damned if I do - damned if I don't.  Last year I picked up horse back riding again, cycling, yoga & joining a gym.  All adapted to me & the more I peaked, the more my pain returned.  I was getting stronger, lost 25 lbs (goal was to lose 40), was getting more stable & mobile, but the pain from the scarred tissues surrounding the THR was getting too intense.

So I was told to back off.  The only way the pain stopped was when I stopped everything.  I gained back all of the weight & lost flexibility.  Regardless of what I do, I'm going to have some sort of pain to deal with.  So, my husband is trying to get me back to activities.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat