+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Range of motion  (Read 7315 times)

Bill27

Range of motion
« on: July 08, 2014, 10:20:35 PM »
Hello im 28 , now little over 13 months out from my left hip resurfacing. Pre surgery I had less then 60degrees of range of motion and at 13 months im right around 95 degrees , is this normal? Pre surgery my hip was very very tight . I had two spurs and a sleeve had grown up around it. I would like to get my range of motion to at least 110 but seems im having a hard time getting past the 90s.

chuckm

Re: Range of motion
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2014, 08:02:30 AM »
Hi Bill - that sounds normal for someone like you who not had that ROM for such a long time. But, since your body has adjusted to not having that ROM, regaining it can be a very long process. If you are not trying to use that ROM daily it may never come back on its own. So you must work the leg every day and see if you can go a bit farther each time. Usually there is some discomfort with doing this.

Chuckm
Left BHR 11/30/12
Hospital for Special Surgery
46 years old

hernanu

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2014, 10:43:11 AM »
I agree with chuck, Bill. At 13 months, you've still got a lot of progress to make.

Your body tried to compensate for the OA by contorting itself to the least painful positions as you moved. Now that has been removed, but the over strengthening of some muscles and the atrophy of others remains.

It can take a while to overcome. Have you thought about getting some physical therapy with someone who has treated people with THRs or HR's? They would be best at helping you get to where you want. Maybe your surgeon can suggest someone (mine did - they set up the sessions).
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

nigel

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2014, 03:19:11 AM »
Hi Bill,

I was about 60 degrees pre surgery and had been for some years.  My surgeon said he cant  really say what sort of rom i'll get back and didnt give me any 90 degree restriction as he said i would be able to get past 90 degrees. He was right!  At 6 weeks i was stuck on 90 degrees and this was  despite having physio  twice per week a the hospital  and me doing stretches every day, trying to pull my knee up to my chin whilst lying on my back, these  really really hurt!

At 6 weeks i joined a gym and used a  recumbent bike, i think this has helped the most as i could  i could slowly raise the seat more and more  pushing my leg up closer to my chest. Other exercises  i'm doing are ;

Putting your operated leg up on a chair and leaning down and forward

Using a chin up machine, putting my leg up on the  platform you stand on and using about 20kg weight let the  machine lift my leg up  raising my knee towards my chest

Doing squats  both  2 and 1 legged in the shallow end of a pool (The water  and buoyancy really help)

Lying on my back getting my 7 year old to push my  leg up towards my chest!

It seems to be 2 steps forward and 1 back and it a very long and frustrating process and i agree it has to be done everyday or every other day, but i am making headway. At the moment   (10 weeks post op) id guess I'm over 100 degrees  and hopeful that i can get to the 120 degree mark.

Obviously the above are my  exercises  and seem to work for me  but get a physio to check out what would be good for you.

If   you have any questions give me a shout

Cheers

Nigel

Prof. Bill Walter (Sydney Australia)
R Adept  Resurfacing 30th Apr 2104

Adept Right Hip Resurfacing Dr Bill Walter 30/04/14

Bill27

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2014, 08:38:49 AM »
Thanks everyone. I should of stated that my Rom was less then 60 degrees since i was 18 back in 2004. So i went 9 years like that. The problem here in this area where i live is most physical therapists dont even know what a hip resurfacing is. Where i was just discharged from (only place near me) had never heard of a resurfacing lol . I was the 40th patient my doc has done this procedure on so resurfacing isn't to known of in this area yet . My other problem that makes it hard for me to bend and really stretch my hip is , 1st may 30th 2013 i had my hip resurfaced , then was having terrible nerve pain on top of this and Nov 1st i had have a L5 S1 fusion so from Nov. to march 5 i wasn't allowed to do nothing hardly , no twisting , bending or lifting much , so was walking only . I still have hard time bending over but slowly getting better. Ill have to try harder at getting my range of motion back . So use to not having it that even if i did have it id prob not use it lol.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat