+-

Author Topic: nerve damage  (Read 5589 times)

odonnellb

nerve damage
« on: June 26, 2008, 07:31:34 PM »
hi,

my dad just received the birmingham hip resurfacing procedure. when he came to, he could no longer feel his entire leg. it's been about a month since surgery and he cannot walk, drive a car, or do almost any of the things he could before the surgery due to this numbness. not only is he dealing with the pain from his hip recovering, but the doctors say he may not ever feel his leg again. the exact words were "some feeling may return within six months". has anyone heard of this happening? we need to find out if this is malpractice or a common occurence.

thanks
brenden
« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 09:25:03 PM by odonnellb »

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: nerve damage
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 07:44:41 PM »
Hi Brenden

This sounds like a very bad situation for your Dad.  I am not a doctor, so I don't know what to tell you.  I have not read about many cases of permanent nerve damage like this, but again I only read hundreds and hundreds of messages from other surface hippies.

I dropped Dr. Bose a note about the situation and will let you know his thoughts when he writes back to me.

In the meantime, I think we all need to keep your Dad in our thoughts and prayers.  Having a new hip without feeling in your leg certianly is a terrible situation. 

Do you know if the doctors used the posterior or anterior approach to surgery?  There is more possibity of damage from the anterior approach, but I have read about nerve damage from the posterior approach.  I think there have been a few cases of drop foot, but normally after a few months that gets better for most people.

I don't think such nerve damage is a very common occurance in hip resurfacing.  At least not many people have ever posted about it on the Yahoo Surface Hippy Group.  There are over 7000 members on that group and you might want to post over there too.  http://groups.yahoo.com/group/surfacehippy/

I will let you know when I hear from Dr. Bose.  He and Dr. De Smet are both very good finding reasons for problems in difficult cases.  Unfortunately, Dr. Bose is in India and De Smet is in Belgium.  De Smet does a large number of revisions of hip replacements other doctors have botched up.

I wish you the best and I hope your Dad's leg gets better so he can enjoy the new hip.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

odonnellb

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 09:22:03 PM »
pat,

thanks so much for your quick response! in the post-operative report there is a line that says "the capsule was circumferentially released, and the femur retracted anteriorly." that is the only place i found the word posterior or anterior. is that what you are talking about?

and what is drop foot?

thanks again
brenden

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2008, 09:49:15 PM »
Hi

I would assume from the "retracted anteriorly" that they used the anterior approach to surgery.  It depends on how the dislocate the hip for surgery. Sometimes you can't tell by the incision, which approach was used.  I have a number of articles about doctors opinions on anterior and poster approach here
http://www.surfacehippy.info/surgicalapproaches.php

In general, that large majority of hip resurfacing surgeons use the posterior approach. They feel there is less possible nerve damage that way.  There are some sucessfully using the anterior apporach, but not too many.  Of course all of this discussion does not help your Dad.

Drop foot from what I understand is that the foot stays dropped down and can't be move up into the normal position because there has been nerve damage. So there is no control of the foot.  Sometimes it heals from what I have read.  Again, I am not a doctor. Just an interested person that reads lots of information.

I am sorry I can't tell you more.  I do know that Dr. De Smet will also give you an opinion too.  He is having a large national meeting right now, but I can drop him a line next week.

THere are a few really experinced surgeon in the US that could also give you some input if you feel you want to learn more.  Dr. Su in NY has done over 500 resurfacings and Dr. Gross has done over 1300.  It is the overseas doctor like Dr. De Smet that have the large amount of experience. He has done over 3000 hip resurfacings and does many revisions of other doctors bad surgeries.

I will let you know if when I hear from Dr. Bose.  You might also want to contact a doctor that deal with nerves.  I can't think of what they call them right now.

The other hope is that time will help since he is only one month post op.  I don't know if any kind of PT, or massage, water therapy, etc could help.

Is he in pain?

Pat
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

odonnellb

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2008, 10:33:31 PM »
pat,

well the pain from his hip recovering is lingering, but it's not as severe. from time to time the dead nerves in his leg give him a lot of pain.

we've contacted a neurologist already and he was the one who told us the bad news about his leg. i'm just not sure if this was a major mistake made in surgery or if it was a risk we were supposed to be aware of. my dad does not remember the surgeon saying ANYTHING about risk of numbness or nerve damage, let alone something as severe as this. personally, i think that this omission alone is enough to deem the surgeon himself responsible for this result.

thanks so much
brenden

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2008, 10:44:47 PM »
Hi

The doctor certainly should have told him the possible complications along with a handout about them. That is pretty standard.

I actually had someone write to me and tell me his surgeon told him he had had 10 case of nerve damage and drop foot.  Most of them got better in time.  I do have to say that I have no idea if this was a real person and if they were telling me the truth. That is the problem with the internet - you have no way of knowing if emails are from real people telling you the truth.

Of course, I said I personally would not want to take a chance with a surgeon that has had that many problems. The one thing I can say is that he was HONEST to tell someone about the problems.

Nerve damage is one of the common complications in both hip resurfacing and total hip replacement.  I could go looking to find a list from some of the surgeons websites, but they should tell you up front.

This is from Dr. De Smet  http://www.surfacehippy.info/faqworsecomplication.php  I also keep a page of serious hip resurfacing problems  http://www.surfacehippy.info/hipresurfacingproblems.php    This is major surgery and many bad things can happen from death, blood clots, nerve damage, etc.  Fortunately, it doesn't  happen often.

Please keep in touch.  I will keep your Dad in my thoughts and prayers.  This is a terrible experience for him and you.

Pat
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2008, 05:55:09 PM »
Hi

Dr. Bose made this comment:

It is difficult to comment on cases like this where one does not have the full information.

Sounds like sciatic nerve injury.

I would suggest that you write to him to give him more facts of the case along with x-rays to find out more. It is always difficult for a doctor to access a situation without all of the information.

Here is his email address and information:

Dr. Vijay C. Bose
1100 Hip Resurfacings to date ***
BHR Regional centre - India
Apollo Speciality Hospital, 320, Mount Road, Chennai - 600035. INDIA
E-Mail: bose5vijay@hotmail.com
Telephone: 0091-44-(0) 98400 - 32251
Hip Resurfacing India Website

Other than getting some of the really experinced hip resurfacing surgeons to talk with you, I am sorry that I don't know what else to tell you. 

This is my doctors list. You can look to see who is really experienced near you.

http://www.surfacehippy.info/listofdoctors.php

Pat

3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

odonnellb

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2008, 07:38:36 AM »
pat,

thanks so much for your help. we will definitely use these sources as we research our options.

thanks again and i will keep you posted.

brenden

Vicky

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2008, 06:16:40 PM »
Sorry, I am late replying to this.  It is extremely rare that nerve damage will ever be permanent.  I hear it is very painful and will usually resolve itself within the first six months to a year.  If it does not get better, I would recommend that he seek out a physiatrist or neurologist.  And of course you do know that none of us on here are medical experts, only patients right?

Vicky

jhall_3rd

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2011, 04:48:24 PM »
Just to be counted on this issue of nerve damage: I lost all feeling in a portion of my thigh (on the operated side) -- about a 4x6 inch area. It's been 7 months and no sign that it's improving.

Read about Jhalls nerve damage recovery here:
http://surfacehippy.info/hiptalk/index.php?topic=2911.0
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 09:35:33 PM by Pat Walter »

audeeeee

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2011, 05:25:58 PM »
I am between 7 and 8 weeks post op after having bilateral hip resurfacings. I have nerve damage in my left leg that has caused drop foot. My surgeon is very upset about the situation and has recommended me to a neurologist. While there has been no sign of improvement to date, I am confident that this situation will get better. I am to report back to the neurologist in 3 months for updated testing and until then am continuing with PT and praying. I will post any updates.

hernanu

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2011, 08:36:50 PM »
Sorry to hear about your damage, hopefully, as Vicky said, there is a good chance that this will get better.

Wishing you the best, and welcome to the site.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Recent Posts

Advertisements

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Accordion Player Pat Webmaster/Owner

Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy

Statcounter

View My Stats