+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: I've noticed a lot of ppl have to get both?  (Read 2390 times)

John_stashick

I've noticed a lot of ppl have to get both?
« on: July 15, 2014, 03:43:58 PM »
I've noticed a lot of ppl get both there's done? Why is that? Is it because they over use the other one when they're hurt and then healing and then just cautious ? Or is it arthritis just creeping over to the other hip? Does this question make sense?

Juno

Re: I've noticed a lot of ppl have to get both?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2014, 04:08:34 PM »
John,
I had to have both hips done. I think for many of us it is a matter of our bone structure that leads to eventual wearing down of the cartilage and the osteoarthritis. I have hip dysplasia and both hips wore out at about the same time.  My second surgery had nothing to do with issues from the first --- I knew I had to have both done and chose to do them 5 months apart so I could get on with my life.

It was the best thing I've done for myself.
Right resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 7/11/13
Left resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 12/11/13

Canadian-Ice

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2014, 05:36:17 PM »

I saw a presentation by an OS at an event held by the Arthritis Society in Canada. He said his hospital, a major Canadian one at the front of this research, was looking at why both hips get OA in some people and an others only one hip gets OA. Also research is underway to see why the second hip replacement tends to require revision before the first, even where the second hip was installed years after the first.

In other words, no one knows.

At least one cause should be structure of the hips. I got OA in my left hip first and now my right as well. Dr. de Smet said the x-rays indicate coxu profunda shape of hip.

Had no FAI on left hip though by MRI.

Interestingly, my right hip I diagnosed by symptoms. It started to have pain less than a year after the left. For a year or two after that, I could side split all the way when my right leg was extended to the side. I wounder, was this evidence of FAI?

Anyway, right is pretty much pain free now, so might have righted itself.

I bet OA in both hips is related to bone structure.

whyme

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2014, 06:14:53 PM »
Most people that get hip resurfacings are on the 'younger' age groups. Arthritis is mostly related to wear and tear, therefore when it happens to younger people generally means there is something accelerating that process, like mechanical/structural issues.
Patients with FAI (Femoro-Acetabular Impingment) and very active are at risk of having early arthritis.
Significant numbers also have dysplasia, which basically is a mechanical misfit in the joint. If it's mild it can go unnoticed for many years unless again you're very active.
Both FAI and dysplasia tend to be bilateral.
That's my take on it.
Left hip resurfacing (Conserve Plus) 2013-09-04
Dr. De Smet

Jerry C.

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2014, 06:12:04 PM »
 sometimes like in my case autoimmune arthritis destroys the cartilage in both hips. 

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Yesterday at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear