+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: 10-Days Post Op. - Dr. Gross  (Read 2987 times)

springerm

10-Days Post Op. - Dr. Gross
« on: July 19, 2014, 04:14:32 PM »
Hi, I'm Steve and this is my 1st post.

I wanted to share this mainly because I read so many stories involving difficult recoveries post op from so many folks.  Most everyone provides their sex, and usually their age, but what seemed to be missing were weight, BMI, and a general description of activity level going into resurfacing surgery.  So, I would like to provide those to you because I seem to be well ahead of the "recovery curve" and maybe I can provide some inspiration.

I'm a male, if you hadn't guessed by the name, 60 years old, 185 lbs., with a BMI @ 25.  I was competing in Triathlons up to the 70.3 distance, through 2012.  However, by early 2013, I was experiencing pain when I ran.  The pain was 360 degrees around my right hip, but worse in my lower back.  Unfortunately, this is the area I focused on and after 11 months of chiropractic visits (45), PT visits (20), MRIs and injections into my SI joint from the local Spine Center, I finally got to a physical therapist, who after over an hour of ROM and other evaluative tests, said "We need an x-ray of your right hip"!  Sure enough, the x-ray showed severe arthritis.

Around the same time (Nov. 2013), I ate lunch with a friend and biking companion whose limp from a bad hip was gone.  He told me all about the wonders and benefits of hip resurfacing and told me to go to surfacehippy.com, which I did that very day!

From that day in November to May of 2014, I read and researched everything I could find.  I must also admit I was putting the decision off, largely because I was swimming occasionally, still biking about 100 miles a week and going through most of my daily activities pain free.  The only problem was that by May, walking much past 1/2 mile brought on the pain and running more than a block hurt.  At this point, I decided to get ahead of this disease and I sent my x-rays to Dr. Gross in Columbia, SC.  About a week after sending in my x-rays, Dr. Gross called me and said he saw about 3cm of bone-on-bone in my right hip, but also said he believed that I was a good candidate for resurfacing.  We set my surgery up for July 9, 2014.

I kept riding my bike those 100 mile weeks right up until we packed up the car and headed to Columbia, SC.

Today I am 10-days post op and things seem to be happening in three's.  I was off pretty much all the narcotics after 3 days, used both crutches for 3 days, one crutch for 3 days and my cane for 3 days.  At 9 days, (yesterday) I began walking, including up and down stairs, without the cane or any other assistance!  While the first few days post op brought more pain than I ever expected (probably just didn't want to think about it!), I am experiencing very little pain today.  I also started walking about 1/2 mile with my cane one week post op. with very little pain.

I am hoping that anyone reading this who is considering resurfacing will go ahead and make the decision to have their hip resurfaced, making the selection of a very experienced surgeon their top priority!

obxpelican

Re: 10-Days Post Op. - Dr. Gross
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 03:52:34 PM »
You do sound like you are progressing quick.  Please don't push too hard and end up with a setback, listen to Dr. Gross and you will do well.

Great job so far.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

shoraztri

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 07:59:57 PM »
Hi Springerm,
Mate , your post is inspirational and great reading . I to , like you , are a fellow Tri athlete , but only a "baby ' so to speak , doing Standard and Sprint distances. I am 62, had mine done 7 July, [LHBHR] have a BMI of 22, weigh 67.5kg, 1;73cm height. [ See my previous posts]

My progress is slower, and steady , but I am taking more caution , as I WANT LONGEVITY from this operation . At times , one feels like "ripping into it " , but PATIENCE is the key. great to see you ahead of the gun so to speak , but if you are COMFORTABLE with it , No Pain and all is good , then keep progressing. We are , afterall , all different . You a lucky bugger !!!!!.
Cheers, Kiwi from Down Under.
LHBHR. 7 JULY 2014. DR. HUGH BLACKLEY. SOUTHERN CROSS HOSPITAL, NORTH SHORE, NZ.
Fem Head 50.  Cup Size 56.  D.O.B. 03/1952.

Kiwi Hippie

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 07:07:01 AM »
Hi Steve,

Yet another triathlete, I am now 8 weeks post op.  My recovery was similar to yours - but I had a bit of a relapse after 10 days as the full anaesthetic effects wore off and nerves re awoke.  This seems to be quite common, so don't panic if it hits you.

Good luck for the new journey.  I can't believe how much I can now do with NO PAIN.  Walking for an hour and 50km flattish bike rides.  The only way is up.

Kiwi Hippie
p.s. I am around 80kg (176lb) and 1.75m (5 ft 10) tall BMI around 26 - bit up on old race weight!
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 07:12:47 AM by Kiwi Hippie »
Left BHR 28 May 2014 by Hugh Blackley at North Shore Southern Cross Hospital

springerm

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2014, 06:00:31 PM »
Hi Kiwi Hippie,

I am so glad you responded!  I have been feeling foolish as I posted my "story" on Saturday, 10 days post op and on Monday, I couldn't believe how much the pain had increased.  Just like you experienced at 10 days, only I made it 2 extra days before the pain hit.  I got back on my cane and really took it easy.  Today is 2-weeks post op and much of the bad pain has subsided.  It seems I got a "wake up" call telling me to ease off.

I am also excited that you are biking 50 km at 8 weeks.  I had decided to wait for my 6 week follow-up with Dr. Gross to be cleared to get on my bike again.  I'm hoping he will say "ok".  My bike rides here in the south (USA) are very flat as well - have to find a bridge for hill work!

To Chuck and Kiwi from Down Under,

As you can see from my post, I am following your advice and am adopting a slower and steadier approach to my recovery.  Thanks for the kind words.

Steve

shoraztri

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2014, 07:02:56 PM »
Hi Steve , Great work on your posts , and to my Fellow Kiwi Hippie !!! , top advice. Its all about monitoring your body correctly and listening to it . I am a little slower in my recovery stage , but plenty of time later on to catch up.
Wish the Tour d France lasted another month !!!, has been keeping me on the couch alot !!!, which is what I need. Am lucky that the Commonwealth Games has started , so a very welcome " ball and chain " to hold me inside and "dormant ".!!!
Cheers , Kiwi Down Under. ;D :) :P
LHBHR. 7 JULY 2014. DR. HUGH BLACKLEY. SOUTHERN CROSS HOSPITAL, NORTH SHORE, NZ.
Fem Head 50.  Cup Size 56.  D.O.B. 03/1952.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear