+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Pain in the hip after +10 years post-op  (Read 4026 times)

Skeeteau

Pain in the hip after +10 years post-op
« on: July 19, 2014, 04:20:33 PM »
I had my BHR in August 2003 and it was the best thing that ever happened to me.  I was immediately medication-free, pain-free, and was sleeping like a log.  However, since mid-June of this year, my hip has very unexpectedly begun to be very stiff, sore, and feels weakened without any forewarning.  I also have even begun to have some pain in it while sleeping.  It's certainly not in the same condition as it was before the BHR, but it is very worrisome and shows no sign of improving.  I'm wondering if anyone else has ever had these symptoms occur, especially after more than 10 years since the original surgery?  Any comments, observations, or insights would be welcomed.  Thanks.

Dannywayoflife

Re: Pain in the hip after +10 years post-op
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2014, 07:54:25 AM »
Hi Mate the best thing for you to do is to go see your surgeon and have an xray done mate.
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

Skeeteau

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2014, 12:28:25 PM »
Thanks. I do have an appointment with the surgeon this Thursday and I'm anxious to find out what he has to say. I feel the hip still has its integrity, because I have full mobility and flexibility, but it's simply sore and stiff most of the time.

John C

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2014, 03:40:19 PM »
Just sharing some thoughts. If, as you say, the prosthesis feels solid, the x-rays may not show much, though of course they are a good place to start. If the problem is soft tissue oriented and does not show up on x-ray, you might ask for a metal ion blood test, and some sort of soft tissue scan. Inexpensive and simple might be an ultrasound, or the next step up might be a CT scan or MRI. Anyway, these are some ideas that you might bring up with your surgeon if the x-rays look okay.
If you are having the problems you describe, I would not let the investigation stop with an x-ray and a physical exam..
Let us know what you find out.
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

obxpelican

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2014, 03:45:53 PM »
Good luck with this issue, we all hate to hear anybody having issues, especially after 10 years.  I will say many times it's nothing at all and sometimes it ends up being a back issue with referred pain. 

As John rightly pointed out, don't stop until you figure out what is going on.  John is a great poster on this forum and he never fails to give useful pointers.

Chuck

Thanks. I do have an appointment with the surgeon this Thursday and I'm anxious to find out what he has to say. I feel the hip still has its integrity, because I have full mobility and flexibility, but it's simply sore and stiff most of the time.
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

Skeeteau

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2014, 04:40:54 PM »
Good news! The surgeon believes that the BHR hardware is fine and the X-rays back that up. After a few painful manipulations, he thinks that I have (only) somehow irritated the Ilio-Tibial band and may also have some bursitis. After some physio, some stretching, and possibly an injection if it does not respond to conventional therapy, this issue will be resolved.

However, if ever you begin to experience the same type of symptoms in the hip as you had pre-op like I did - the pain, the difficulty sleeping, the weakness, and the inability to bear weight - these symptoms may feel exactly as before the operation, but may not be related at all to the BHR.  However, they must be verified to be certain and you will also feel so much better mentally and psychologically hearing that news come from the surgeon.

To those of you who initially responded to my concerns and offered suggestions and support, thank you very much.

hernanu

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2014, 04:03:44 PM »
That's great news. Rehab that IT band, then.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal