+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: x-ray of new hip  (Read 2432 times)

cjp3

x-ray of new hip
« on: July 22, 2014, 05:49:21 AM »
Hi Guys

Looking for some advice .... I live 5-6 hrs from my surgeon and have recently had my hip resurfaced. Things have been going ok but I having real trouble abducting my leg. It goes so far and then it feels like it gets blocked or stuck. I am too scared to try and pull it any further. So, has anyone else experienced this ? I have attached my x-ray from 18 days post op and invite any comments or thoughts ....

Thanks in advance  :)

Dannywayoflife

Re: x-ray of new hip
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 06:06:19 AM »
Mate your only 18 days post op! what ever you do do not force anything. ROM is usually the last thing to return my full ROM is still getting slightly better nearly 3 years post op.
By the way your xray looks fine in my unqualified opinion.
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

Juno

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 08:09:51 AM »
You are only 18 days post op....give it time. All of the muscles that externally rotate and assist with abduction have been manipulated and or cut, it is going to take time for those muscles to heal and strengthen. Forward motion is the first to return. Just continue to do any exercises your doctor has given you and rest. I wasn't even allowed to do abduction until after my six week check up.

Let those muscles heal :)
Right resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 7/11/13
Left resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 12/11/13

obxpelican

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 03:28:41 PM »
Way too early to be worrying about ROM, it sometimes takes a year to get it back to normal.

Surprisingly some people end up with more ROM in the op hip as compared to the un-operated hip.

If you had a full front copy of your x-ray we can give you your cup angle.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

Tin Soldier

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2014, 11:40:14 PM »
Early in the first couple weeks I distinctly remember a "block" of sorts with the abduction exercise.  It wasn't an obvious physical block, but more of a muscle-not-work, brain-not-connecting block.  My PT said that the surgery really works over the muscles and they tend to seize up and not want to give in.  It went away after continued gentle abduction exercises in a few days.  Maybe that's what you're experiencing.

Like others said, I'd go real easy at this stage.   
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

Vinman

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2014, 08:33:31 AM »
Things take time.  I remember one of my early PT sessions where the physical therapist had to get me to "awaken" my glute as it was not contracting.  I would literally think "glute - contract" and nothing would happen.  Quickly he showed me how to do it with some exercises and now I can contract at any time.  Over time, you will heal and get muscles to reawaken so you can work on strengthening them.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat