+-

Author Topic: BHR recovery  (Read 2949 times)

SeanHenry

• BHR Derek McMinn Birmingham Rh Jan 2014
BHR recovery
« on: July 30, 2014, 09:30:44 AM »
I had BHR procedure on my right hip on January 21st and I am waiting to see whether I feel it has been successful before I proceed for the left hip to be done.  I am 44 years old and have always maintained a healthy lifestyle attending the gym 4-5 times per week prior to surgery.
As I don't know what is considered "normal recovery" I wonder if anyone could help me out?  I still have a burning sensation in my right buttock and the scar is still quite itchy.  The actual joint still aches and I have pain in my front muscle when doing a knee raise.  Can anyone help or advise me on these issues?  I would be grateful for any form of feedback and I cannot gain any answers to my questions elsewhere  :-\  Thank you

Dannywayoflife

Re: BHR recovery
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 12:23:53 PM »
Mate different people heal differently. It took me a full year to fully recover. It sounds like you've still got a fair bit of scar tissue in there. Have you had any proper massage to break this down? Also who was your surgeon?

Danny
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

chuckm

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 12:36:20 PM »
Hi Sean. You are past six months so I would say your recovery is a little bit on the slower side, but hang in there it will get better.

You said you cannot get answers but have you contacted your surgeon about your concerns?

Pain at the front of the hip and into the groin is normal after this surgery but it depends on the quality of the pain. If it is sharp pain then contact your surgeon, but if it is just soreness then I think that is normal, however it could take up to a year or more to resolve itself.

The joint ache might be related to the accumulation of scar tissue. I remember having an ache that would just hang around but early on I began using a foam roller to massage all the healing muscle groups and it got rid of it. When the ache came back I just used the roller again and eventually it never came back. You could just have scar tissue that needs to be broken up. Sometimes physical therapy is good for this too.

The itchy scar is a little unusual. I definitely think you should bring that to the attention of your surgeon.

Keep us posted.

Chuckm
Left BHR 11/30/12
Hospital for Special Surgery
46 years old

maxx6789

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 03:16:09 PM »
Sean, yes, strongly advise discussing in detail with your doctor. They are in the best position to tell what is going on specific to your condition. I assume you have had at least a few post-operation visits?

Everyone's precondition symptoms and recovery will be different. Wishing you all the best!!
Left BHR Della Valle, Sept 14, 2011
Right BHR Della Valle, April 4, 2012

whyme

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 09:48:15 PM »
Hi, for me the scar was itchy until very recently, way past 8 months. I couldn't sleep on that side comfortably until after 7 months.
The other symptoms you describe I didn't have.

Have you been doing specific hip exercises to regain strength, stability and mobility, guided by a physiotherapist? Or just recovering on your own?
If you've been going to a physio, what does he/she says about this?
Many surgeons have reviews at 6 weeks and 6 months, was that your case?

I think muscle and tissue aches vary a lot depending on the person, and also the activities you do post surgery.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 09:49:09 PM by whyme »
Left hip resurfacing (Conserve Plus) 2013-09-04
Dr. De Smet

Miguelito

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2014, 10:03:45 PM »
Sean,
I concur with the majority. Definitely worth a call to your surgeon. I am at just about five months on my second HR and I don't think I had any of those symptoms after a couple of months with the exception of the thigh muscle pain (I just tested it and feel some).
Mike
RHR April 2012.
LHR March 2014.

Both Biomet Magnum/Recap 54/48, by Dr. Thomas Gross.

SeanHenry

• BHR Derek McMinn Birmingham Rh Jan 2014
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2014, 11:06:21 PM »
Thanks everyone all your advice is greatly appreciated.  My surgeon was Derek McMinn in Birmingham but I only had a six week post op and nothing since. I just feel like it's not getting any better whilst my other hip is getting a hell of a lot worse but I want to know this one has worked successfully before getting the other done.

Arrojo

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2014, 01:34:24 PM »
The main cause of post-recovery pain at 6 months (assuming that the surgery itself was successful and there are no issues with the implant or bone) is scar tissue buildup in the soft tissue.  Deep tissue massages, Active Release Technique (ART), trigger-point therapy are three examples of good ways to get this scar tissue broken up.  I started on ART 6 weeks after surgery and went back once a month religiously. 

If you are still experiencing pain and have ruled out any issues with the implant itself (and given that your surgeon was mcMinn, that is highly likely), I encourage you to get this scar tissue broken up.
Dr. Su
RBHR 4/9/12

chuckm

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2014, 03:34:53 PM »
whilst my other hip is getting a hell of a lot worse

Sean, sounds like the muscles of the new hip could really be off kilter because you are recovering while (whilst) the other hip it deteriorating.

Don't delay trying a foam roller. If it is scar tissue and tight muscles you will know right away because there is such an immediate relief.

Chuckm
Left BHR 11/30/12
Hospital for Special Surgery
46 years old

Arrojo

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2014, 05:45:43 PM »

Don't delay trying a foam roller. If it is scar tissue and tight muscles you will know right away because there is such an immediate relief.

Chuckm

Good advicem Chuck (perhaps I should have read what you wrote previously.  :)  I use the foam roller every day; before and after every run, even two years removed from surgery.
Dr. Su
RBHR 4/9/12

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2014, 09:38:39 PM »
Mate rest assured that with Derrick you can pretty much guarantee a full and total recovery. As I say it honestly took me a full 12 possibly more months to feel completely normal mate. I'm not a lover of physio's I prefer to just work on things my self and build up. How ever as others have said proper deep tissue massage may well work wonders. It did for me!!
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

Recent Posts

Re: Travelling for Resurfacing during Covid-19 by Saddlepal3
Yesterday at 08:59:57 PM

Re: Pain on Rising by jimbone
Yesterday at 01:24:59 AM

Re: Travelling for Resurfacing during Covid-19 by BionicHip
Yesterday at 12:00:02 AM