+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: contracted muscles  (Read 6096 times)

peony

contracted muscles
« on: August 01, 2014, 04:56:36 AM »
After walking around the house easily, I went outside walking with 1 crutch 2 weeks post op. That evening I could not put my foot on the floor so I cancelled physiotherapy. At my physiotherapy session a week later the therapist said my muscles had contracted/concertina like around my hip. Now 6 weeks post op and I am still using two crutches. Tried using one and sometimes I can manage half dozen steps and sometimes not. Therapist says I must get off two crutches or I will have secondary issues-e.g. my knee is beginning to give me pain. Has this happened to anyone?

hernanu

Re: contracted muscles
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2014, 12:48:17 PM »
Hi peony, welcome to the site.

I haven't had this and haven't heard of it.

Have you talked to your surgeon? It may be worth while to talk to them and get their take on it. I had several setbacks, called in each time. The surgeon and / or his office / nurses are better able to tell you about any issues.

The therapist is not the best person to deal with this, I'd call your surgeon.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

China Lady

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2014, 07:50:12 PM »
if your Doc tells you, that your body is fine, try to relax more; go slow, but go!
I am bilateral, both hips in the same surgery, not sportive, 56 and my BMI is 30. I used both crutches for 2 month and then suddenly noticed, that I only used one inside. I wanted to do more, carry more things........
the next phase was to go outside with only one crutch...... and so the weeks went by. now I am 7 month out of surgery and walk perfectly without any aid since 8 weeks.
so what I want to say is: its a mind thing also.
it is good to be careful but it is not good to be afraid. if you feel unsecure or afraid the whole body tightens up. you do not walk perfectly upright, you bend down a little. then the joints have a "wrong" load, then the muscles work under stress.......... and you are in a bad circle.
the only way to walk upright again is to let go of the walking aides.

sometimes, in the first weeks I have had pained/crumped muscles also. when that happened, I stood upright, lessened the weight bearing on the crutches and started a "hippy-shake-dance", that helped a lot!

so, greetings and take care!

..... I will find out

peony

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2014, 10:46:50 PM »
Thanks. Doc is on holiday for a couple of weeks. Physio told me to stretch only right now in case cup has slipped or something. Don't really feel anything is terribly wrong. This morning I tried putting more weight on operated leg and doing knee bends then stretches and I actually felt a bit better. Walked up and down using one crutch, although my leg still feels a lot shorter (I know it's not). Hope I can move tomorrow.

happyhopper

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2014, 06:12:41 AM »
Hi Peony
Just wondered who your surgeon was and which implant you have had.
Hopefully you will be able to see your surgeon as soon as he returns from holiday.
After you have done some stretches how do you feel the day afterwards?
Perhaps you can also give us some information of how you were before the operation, your activities and reasons for the resurfacing.
Look forward to hearing more and as suggested take it easy but keep doing some activity.
Regards
H

peony

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2014, 12:46:06 AM »
Not based in USA so not a doctor mentioned on this site. I don't know difference between implants. Only that there were no cysts and was full weight bearing after op. Not terribly fit before op but not very unfit either. Walk a lot normally. Do stretching exercise 3 x a day and one leg knee bends when I can. Physio is starting some Pilates machines so beginning to use springs etc. Day after this is difficult to use 1 crutch only. Exercise at home is fine as mainly stretching. I just have to get the muscles around my hip relaxed instead of having them bunched up but it is taking such a long time

hernanu

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2014, 09:31:35 AM »
I'm sorry to tell you this, but this is really just the beginning. None of us were back to everything without issues after six weeks. Still early days for you.

You have to be careful with machines, etc. In the main, you have to trust your body. If you are not feeling great doing some things, then stop those until later.

Walking is the best thing to do. I had a great physical therapist, one who had experience with hip replacements before, so they knew exactly how much to push things.

If you feel fine with stretching, maybe cut back on the heavy duty therapy and do some lighter stuff until the pain subsides. Pain is not good right now, as you are trying to heal from 1. the surgical procedure, which is serious, 2. the bone itself needs to heal and cannot be hurried 3. The muscular asynchrony and atrophy from dealing with the arthritis.

It is a lot to overcome, and can't (in my opinion) be done in six weeks. Be patient with this and you'll have a great outcome.

My doctor prescribed six weeks of therapy, with walking at least a mile a day, with home exercises as well. But the exercises and the stretching were light for the first six months. You may need to rescale your expectations and treat this like a marathon, not a sprint.

I also was prohibited from lifting anything heavier than 50 pounds before six months and from heavy contact sports until a year, just to give you perspective from my point of view.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

GreenHills

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2014, 09:52:13 AM »
For me, it helped using just one crutch for a few days.  Then no crutches.  You would have to check with your Dr., but perhaps for you it would be best to go to one crutch for a while.  Then eventually after a week or so - no crutches.

peony

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2014, 01:54:49 AM »
Since I last posted I saw the surgeon who said I had a femoral neck fracture. I could still walk so this was a surprise. He put 2 titanium screws in to hold the fracture. A week later I fell at home on my hip and got another fracture (extremely painful) . This time I had a revision. Am being extra careful. Not doing anything that might compromise this op. All totally my own fault but everything happens for a reason.

toby

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2014, 07:20:24 AM »
Hi Peony,
So sorry to hear of your misfortunes but pleased that hopefully now you are on the road to recovery. You mentioned that you are not from USA (like HH I'm from UK) where are you based and who is your surgeon?
Regards
Toby
LHR Adept-Prof Cobb-30-1-10

happyhopper

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2014, 06:43:40 PM »
Pleased to hear that you are now on the road to recovery.  I did think something was quite wrong from your symptoms and a THR should give you very good ROM and very good function. Just wondered which revision implant you have received - ceramic on ceramic or ceramic on poly? 
Look forward to hearing about your recovery, are you out of hospital yet?
Regards
Heather

peony

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2014, 07:28:01 AM »
It's metal on metal and I'm based in China. Into 3rd week now and feeling a bit better. Moving more easily. Check up and X-Ray later this week.

happyhopper

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2014, 05:58:52 AM »
Hi Peony
Really pleased to hear that you are now making good progress and that your doctor is keeping a close eye on you.
Very best wishes.
HH

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM