+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Hip Resurfacing with Dr. Swank 2014  (Read 3286 times)

comtiger

Hip Resurfacing with Dr. Swank 2014
« on: September 06, 2014, 08:12:05 PM »
I am 45 and was suffering osteoarthritis for about 15 yrs now. Abiout 5 yrs ago I decided to go see an ortho surgeon. He broke the news to me about the only option was a total hip replacement. So, I researched option on the web and ran across surface hippy website. I was interested in learning more about this, I went to see 2 other surgeons and mentioned resurfacing to them and they both responded by, well there are other complications associated with this. So, I decided after surfing this website for months to see a resurfacing surgeon in Cincinnati. After speaking and eval from him and his staff, along with the information with this wonderful site I had the BHR done on Aug 8th (last month) and believe already this was a great decision. Almost 4 weeks out and I I am feeling great, other than a few sorenesses here and there I am so glad I didn't wait any longer. Thanks to all who contribute to this great website and especially to Pat who keeps it runnng . I think it helps having real life people who have gone through this, to keep this great alternative to hip replacement in the forefront. I am looking forward to getting back into my Kung Fu and Tai chi within a couple months.

Thanks to all!
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 09:47:38 AM by Pat Walter »

dfox

Re: New Hippy here, sharing my story
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2014, 10:15:43 PM »
Welcome to the site comtiger. Good to see your post. Glad to hear you are doing well. You will soon be able to enjoy "pain free" Kung Fu and Tai chi.  Good Luck.

Dave
RBHR, 5/2014, Dr. Brooks, Cleveland Clinic

comtiger

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2014, 10:24:02 AM »
DFox,

Thanks for the encouragement, I appreciate it!, If you don't mind me asking, what kind of rehab did the Doc give you? I have been doing the prescribed leg lifts, and buttock crunches and thigh iso . And just walking around a bit, i have been doing a little Tai chi nowhere near the length I was doing yet. Have you gotten on the recumbent bike or anything yet?

I think my Dr is very conservative, but I think its warranted due to possibly overdoing it (which is fine with me) to result in a better long term outcome. But I find the hardest part of the recovery is mentally restraining yourself from doing too much. But, its tough because the nagging arthritis pain I have been dealing with for years is completely gone. Do you feel that way as well?

Tim

dfox

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2014, 05:36:06 PM »
Tim,
Sorry for the delay. Didn't see your post until now. My doctor also takes the conservative approach but I am following his recommendation. I started riding the recumbent bicycle after a week. 30 minutes session every other day. I was on crutches the first 6 weeks. I did start using just one crutch on the opposite side quite a bit weeks 5 and 6. After the 6 week check up the only restrictions I have are no  high impact activities like running for a year. After the 6 week check up I've been adding some strengthening and stretching exercises to my physical therapy.  One I like goes like this. On your hands and knees raise your knee out to the side. Think of dog and fire hydrant. You can add a forward or backwards hip rotation to this also. I do 30 forward and 30 backwards and then 30 mule kicks from the same position. I've been walking and riding my bikes a lot also. Can't wait to get back to running but I am going to follow my docs recommendation. Keep up the good work.
Dave

dfox

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2014, 06:43:47 PM »
Tim,
Prior to the 6 week check up the recommended physical therapy was pretty gentle. Heel slides both straight and to the side. Lying knee to chest stretch. Standing knee lifts and side raises.  Seated head between the knees stretch.

Who was your surgeon in Cincinnati and how was the experience? I didn't find a doc in Cincinnati during my research. I live near Indianapolis and went to Cleveland Clinic.

Dave

comtiger

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2014, 04:53:18 PM »
Hey Fox, no problem on the delay! The surgeon in Cindy was Dr Michael Swank. He's with Orthoepedics Reconstruction at Jewish Hospital.
The overall experience was excellent, from the first consult with his NP to the follow up. He's been doing BHR since it was approved. I keep forgetting to ask him how many hips he's done. Michaelswankmd.com
I'm hoping he clears me for more during my 6 week in 2 weeks, but I'm willing to follow whatever he says. How long until you were on your bike? I tried to sit on mine a couple days ago and was still pretty sore, so I just will haveto wait.

That's funny about the dog on a hydrant, my doc never gave me that stretch to do.
I have to say, I am soon glad I researched resurfacing on my own. None of the previous Dr's even mentioned it.
I hope you get back to running soon!!,  reconortho.com

Interesting you mentioned he didn't surface during your research, one of my friends husband went to Cleveland clinic as well, a few months ago and I mentioned Dr Swank to him and he didn't find him during his research either.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2014, 05:10:56 PM »
Congratulations on the new hip.  Many doctors suggest a gentle recovery and PT in the beginning.  Just be patient and you will soon be active again.  Some surgeons don't recommend PT at all and just suggest a lot of walking.  Any time your body hurts or complains - listen to it.  You can't make your body head any faster than it want's to.

Good Luck and take it easy for awhile.  I look forward to reading about your recovery and you get back to an active, pain free life.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

dfox

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2014, 10:30:02 PM »
Tim,
I was able to ride my road bike after 10 weeks and my mountain bike after 11 weeks. I've been extra careful on the mountain bike (walking over logs and big rocks) to make sure I don't crash. My femoral neck is probably not back to full strength yet and I don't want to risk fracturing it.
Sounds like you are listening to your doc and your body which is smart. Keep after the physical therapy, walking and icing and it will pay off for you.
Dave

comtiger

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2014, 11:08:08 AM »
Just an update!!! I am now 6 1/2 weeks post op and feeling better and better evryday. I started Tai Chi class last week. Although my stances are not quite as deep as before, I was able to get through the form a  few times without any hitches or twinges from my wonderful new hip! I am able to stand and extend heel kicks with no problems, and can stand on one leg in the form. My teacher is stunned at the progress. I have a Dr's appt. tomorrow, hopefully he will allow me to ride my bike again, as my balance feels very good!

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear