+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Still in pain after Hip resurfacing revision to total hip  (Read 6263 times)

atl2013

Still in pain after Hip resurfacing revision to total hip
« on: September 23, 2014, 02:29:57 PM »
Hey Everyone..ATL2013 here again.
I've been away recovering or trying to .Its been a challenge .

I'm having a very difficult recovery NOW AGAIN.
First a very poorly performed Hip Resurfacing Surgery ,now having trouble again after I was told I had no choice but to have a revision done to Total hip Replacement.( Surgery done in JUNE 2014).
Okay,so I've been thru this somewhat before but I'm still not sure if the second surgery has been a success.
Been back to doc and he assures x-rays saying all's fine but I dont know.
I've jus had my 3 month check up..I want to believe him ..
Continuous therapy.gaining strength but still..hip area feels so so stiff ,funny-ish...pain whilst stretching ,standing ,walking (even if just around in the house).
Can this  really be normal now 14weeks have passed?

I felt so much better in the first 3 weeks after surgery then on week 4 it all went downhill.
After being able to walk a few houses up the street with absolutely "No Pain "..then to be back bed ridden again.Physiotherapy tiring me out,stress,body confused I guess from all the trauma.
Called Doc ,says to wait he sees improvement.He mentioned giving me injection for hip tendon/groin pain.

One day at physio I felt a CLICK in the hip at 11weeks.Life started back finally ,walking improved again no pain............ now 3 weeks later more pain .
Glutes pain and across the side of incision and front of hip.

I found doing Leg Lifts a nightmare but can at least do a few now even if pain arises.Stairs is a fight at the moment.Bending not hard at all (before it was ).Bicycling a breeze but after 20 mins leg feels wobbly.Elliptical is okay but wears me out(very good machine to build strength in the glutes).Definitely lets you know you've been in a workout. Doing Planks a killer..beat me up bad

Anyways I need some help here with outside views ,anyone with experience...
What makes me question the surgery is how I am feeling like I am after all this time now and why is the pain still hanging around ?
I need answers ...
What is going on ?Any suggestions?

ATL2013

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Still in pain after Hip resurfacing revision to total hip
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2014, 01:16:31 PM »
Hi
I am sorry to hear about your revision and now slow recovery.  I am not a doctor and not medically trained, but I do know from reading that many people have very slow recoveries after one surgery.  Now that you have had a second, there might be even more to heal since the THR is so different than a hip resurfacing.  Did they keep your acetabular cup?

There have been people that took a year or more to even get fairly normal.  So being slow and having ups and downs is pretty normal for many people.

I would just take it easy.  If leg lifts are difficult, don't do them for awhile.  They are always difficult for many people.  If something hurts you, then back off and tell the PT to take it easy.  You can't force muscles, ligaments and bone to heal.  Everything thing heals at its own speed. 

Take it slow and give yourself time to heal.  Patience is a friend after surgery.

Good Luck and stay in touch.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Mike D

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2014, 02:41:32 PM »
Hi ATL,-
It took me just over 1 year to recover properly from my THR and it wasn't till the 2 year point that I felt no difference to the other hip.
There's a post on here at the moment from someone who is having their second resurfacing done as an out-patient- there really is no set time for recovery.
Fast healers, medium and slow healers- that's the way it is.
I'm amazed at how fast some people get rid of crutches and sticks- many are just good healers, but some people try to push the recovery- not a good idea.
Your surgeon is happy with the x-rays- I think you could send yourself mad thinking he may be wrong but if you really aren't happy, let him know.
A lot of us have doubts and if you feel a click like you did, it's too easy to think the worst but take it easy, don't do anything that feels wrong and see where you are in a couple of weeks.
Hopefully, you'll be back on here reporting all is well.
Cheers, Mike.

Right Ceramic THR
Ronan Treacy   Birmingham R.O.H
8 August 2012

atl2013

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2014, 09:25:12 PM »
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for your kind words of advice.Reading your thoughts are quite comforting,soothing.
These situations make us feel so alone ,desperate...willing to try anything to heal faster,but as both Pat and Mike have mentioned 'It happens in its own"..so have to try to keep my head up and fight thru this".Once again.

Pat my PT  wants me to try slight running on a treadmill,I can barely walk well on it.I'm looking at PT like "Are you serious".......she says she wants to see how I do.So maybe I'm a test robot.
Whats has me is "Can you return to running on a total hip after you've healed?
I  was given a very detailed list of sports(swimming,golf,doubles tennis) just to name a few but it was clear to rule out high impact sports .Please advise.

I  didn't get to keep the acetabular cup Pat..I was given a new whole stryker total hip.
A friend has mentioned he feels the pain I'm experiencing is due to an inflamed bursa,,so suggesting I could have inherited "Bursitis"...much to my dislike.
 Seems I'm suffering more due to the length of time I  had the implant incorrrectly placed in my hip.
 Then the additional wear and debris from the metal poisoning.What a year its been.
I really want some help with the issue we call "Discomfort"...what's it like?
I need to hear from others what their descriptions are for this-as deep in detail as possible so I can determine if I am on track or if I should make a call to my surgeon .
Also how you found your recovery to be after 4 months pain wise.
I hope you all out there who have been thru it before can respond to me ...looking forward to hearing from you all.

ATL2013

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2014, 09:03:21 AM »
I would talk to your surgeon or his office about the PT.  Anytime an aggressive PT makes you hurt, then I feel you should say - My Body and My Choice.  I am not ready.  Early in a recovery, there should not be pain in PT.  Many HR surgeons don't even suggest PT.  They suggest walking. 

I am not a doctor or medically trained, but I definitely would talk to your doctor, back off some of the painful PT or change your PT to another PT.  Dr. De Smet warns patients to NOT use aggressive PTs.  He just suggests walking.

You are also correct, the longer you have problems before surgery, often the longer your recovery.  Since you had  misplaced components, I am sure it will take longer to heal.  Also many people have bursitis and require shots.

Hang in there and take it easy.

Pat
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Tim Bratten

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2014, 09:39:10 AM »
Hi atl2013
It seems my recovery from revision surgery was less problematic than yours but everyone is different. I had some serious problems with my botched resurfacing, but maybe lucked out in some ways. For one thing my metal ions were completely normal because the implant was so poorly placed it loaded against my hip bone instead of edge loading. Also I had bone infection (a staph infection from the surgery) but this made removal of the acetabular component extremely easy (De Smet said it came out with a tap, although it also meant my new implant needed to be screwed in).

I thought I could contribute a couple of things about my recovery: 

1) For the first year, my main activity for recovery was walking/hiking: first with crutches then with trekking poles. I used the poles on my walks/hikes (often like light-weight crutches) for the entire first year after revision before putting them aside.

2) I NEVER forced myself past the point of pain in any of my activity (I'm not talking about the usual muscular soreness associated with exercise). There were several times in the first year or so when my hip began to hurt and I immediately laid off for a few days until the pain subsided.

3) Like Mike D's case, my revised hip improved significantly the second year.

I am now two years and seven months post revision and very happy with how my hip is doing.

Good luck!
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 09:41:14 AM by Tim Bratten »
Botched LHR by Dr. Vilicich 06-17-2010 revised by Koen De Smet 02-14-2012
RHR Koen De Smet 02-05-2014

peony

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2014, 10:29:58 PM »
I had a Birmingham at end June and totally my own fault (small, slightly built female who did too much in 1st couple of weeks) had a femur neck fracture. I had a couple of screws put in to stabilise fracture then a week later I fell and landed on my hip. This time it was a revision (kept the cup) with a piece of metal attached to the bone with wire to support the new fracture while it healed. That was near the end of August. I am still very stiff around the hip but no actual pain. PT is concentrating on core strengthening exercises and advises taking it slow. Am walking with one crutch. Can manage in house with none but limp badly in that case. Just assuming it will take time to get back to normal. No pain should be tolerated. Stop whatever immediately and don't push. I've learned that the hard way.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2014, 09:26:23 AM »
Peony

Just wanted to wish you Good Luck. It is terrible how all that could happen, but I am glad you are on the right path again.

Take it easy and hopefully, you will be active and pain free soon.

Pat
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat