+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: track riding and hip options  (Read 3724 times)

bartman314

track riding and hip options
« on: September 25, 2014, 09:17:32 PM »
i have rapidly developing arthritis, which is now severely impeding my ability to adopt good body position when riding at the track.  i think hip resurfacing is a good option, which would reduce been and improve (to some extent) range of motion for hanging off, knee dragging and whatnot. 

i would very much appreciate any inputs from fellow riders on their pre/post resurfacing experiences!

hernanu

Re: track riding and hip options
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2014, 06:09:05 PM »
Everyone comes to this decision in a different way. Everyone's way and priorities are valid, whether it's a Mom who is frustrated in doing what she sees is needed to a triathlete not being able to compete.

Mine was a continuing loss of sports I loved - first basketball, then Tae Kwon Do, finally soccer due to my left hip dislocating from the arthritis (I popped it back in and played on until I got unstupid).

I had gotten so used to the pain and compromise I didn't even realize how bad it was until I had the surgery and recovered.

To me, it's been a lifesaver, it is well worth the process and recuperation. It is a personal decision and should be done when you're ready for it. It sounds like you are - just pick a good surgeon with a good success rate and a good number of resurfacings.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Granton

Re: track riding and hip options
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2014, 04:40:19 PM »
Hi,

I ride a motorcycle, but touring rather than sports. When I was able to ride again after my first BHR, it was one of the best things. The freedom of movement and the absence of pain was great.

I had the first at age 51 and the second last year at 65. I have done lots of tennis and walking and not given my hips a second thought. Life-changers.

Assuming you are a candidate, just get someone really good and really experienced to do it!

Good luck.
David
Rt BHR Nov 1999
Lt BHR Oct 2013
Mr D McMinn

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Today at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
Yesterday at 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz