+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: avid lifter anxious about resurfacing  (Read 5476 times)

bartman314

avid lifter anxious about resurfacing
« on: September 25, 2014, 09:25:21 PM »
my arthritis has come to a point that something must be done.  i can't do anything laterally, including sumo stances for squat or deads.  looking at my options, resurfacing seems like a no-brainer, but i'm wondering if there are particular dr's, procedures, pre/post op preparation that experienced lifters (power, bb, etc) would recommend for or to stay away! 

at this point my research suggests that i want to be as strong as possible going into surgery, to select an experienced surgeon (su, gross, marchand are currently on my list) and to go with a known, reliable treatment (BHR).  and most importantly - don't try to come back too quickly post op!

What other things should i be considering?!?

Dannywayoflife

Re: avid lifter anxious about resurfacing
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2014, 05:07:23 AM »
You've hit the nail on the head there mate! The surgeon is the biggest factor closely followed by the device. And all the top surgeons use a proven device anyway.

It's advise able to come back very slowly. Mr McMinn advises 1 year until returning to impact and heavy lifting as studies have proven that it takes that long for the femur to return to normal

Danny
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

oldsoccerplayer

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2014, 07:12:45 AM »
You should be fine with any of those veteran surgeons. Dr. Gross does not use BHR, but a different uncemented device, so you might want to research that. People report good results with both.
The obvious non-medical considerations are insurance coverage and proximity to where you live.
Good luck!
BioMet Left Hip Resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 07/2013

woldaudio

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2014, 08:04:54 PM »
I had my surgery on October 31, 2011 on my right hip at 65 years of age. Stayed in the hospital 2 nights and then home for rehab. I went to physical therapy several times a week for about two months. I quit using a cane after about two weeks. In January of 2012 I started back on deadlifts working up to 225#s. I kept the squats at 135 to 155. I stayed around these numbers for a couple of months and then worked up to 450 on the DL's and 410 on squats by the late summer. I always wore a lifting suit to protect the hip. I jumped back into the gym rather soon, but like you I trained very hard before surgery. The repaired hip has been nothing short of a miracle. There were some  "clicks", "pops" and " clunking" along the way but no intense or long lasting pain. I was going to compete in 2015 but now the left hip is in need of surgery. If I can hold out with injections and PRT I may be able to compete. My doc is Daniel Matthews in Daphne, AL. He is a gifted surgeon but wanted to take a much longer time to re-enter the gym. I think if I had waited my hip would not have healed as well.
Good Luck

bartman314

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2014, 10:38:29 PM »
that's seriously impressive! 

Buster

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2014, 09:06:56 PM »
Got the Smith and Nephew BHR in December 09 at 54yrs old.  Took it slow for 1 year before lifting "heavy" and competing.  Everything is fine, a little tightness after workouts but no pain.  My dead lift is actually better then before surgery.  I worked out up to the day before the procedure wanting to be as fit as possible going in.  Dr Craig Della Valle of Midwest Orthopedics at Rush in Chicago did the surgery.  They are the team surgeons for the White Sox and Bulls.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat