+-

Advertisements

Welcome Back

The Hip Talk Discussion Forum was hacked a few weeks back. It has taken me a long time to fix it. The only backup I could use was way back to April 2020. All members and posts up to that date are available. Anything newer has been lost. I am sorry, but that has been the only way to get things up and running again.

Author Topic: BHR/BMHR vs. Delta Motion: Needs views on Pros and Cons  (Read 3893 times)

rsc2k13

BHR/BMHR vs. Delta Motion: Needs views on Pros and Cons
« on: October 04, 2014, 06:58:12 PM »
Dear Friends,

I have been suffering from bilateral AVN of hip joints. As a result, my movements have been restricted. I can not walk or stand for long. I am 47-years old thin-built Indian male (Height: 5'7", Wt.: 65 kg).
My doctor initially advised me BHR or BMHR depending on the hip condition which can be assessed on the operation table. Recently, he has recommended me Delta Motion (Ceramic-on-Ceramic) Hip Replacement surgery. He believes that it is the best option at this moment for a thin-built 47-years old patient like me with a profession that demands moderately active (not a very highly active like a sports person) life style.
I know that BHR is FDA approved. Similarly, BMHR is widely accepted in different parts of the globe. Can anybody throw some light on the acceptability of Delta Motion surgery? It would be immensely beneficial for the patients like me to take a wiser decision if there was a Pros-and-Cons analysis of BHR/BMHR vs. Delta Motion. I know that some of the members either underwent or have knowledge of the patients underwent Delta Motion HR (such as John/dzr, Deepika, Martha/mhiller, Danny/Dannywayoflife, morph, hernanu, chuck/obxpelican). If they could share post-operative experience, it would be immensely beneficial to many patients like me.

With thanks and regards,
Rajat

Dannywayoflife

Re: BHR/BMHR vs. Delta Motion: Needs views on Pros and Cons
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2014, 12:15:24 PM »
If your a candidate for a bhr or a BMHR then why would you go for a thr instead? As good as a delta motion may or may not be it's got more issues associated with it than a bhr/BMHR.
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

happyhopper

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2014, 03:51:19 PM »
Danny, just wondered what the issues were with the Delta Motion?
The gentleman asking the questions sounds quite petit in size and may not fit the present criteria for a resurfacing.   As we all know, the smaller sizes need great precision and a very experienced surgeon to ensure a good outcome.

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2014, 04:01:49 PM »
It's still a thr and will have the same issues associated with them. Also I'm sure I saw a video by Mr McMinn talking about the cup of the delta motion and I think he mentioned the cup angles are not optimal for synovial fluid lubrication. Could be wrong though my memory sucks!
What I'm trying to say is if the chap is a suitable candidate for a bhr or BMHR then why would you choose a the over that?
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

happyhopper

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2014, 04:03:58 PM »
 Hi Rajat
You are doing the right thing in asking questions and doing your own research.
Just wondered which country you live in?  Do you know how many resurfacings your doctor has performed?
Some of the top surgeons in the world will answer your questions, if you email them directly and attach a photo of your X-rays.  If you look on the surgeon list on this website, those that are offering help are marked.
I know that Koen de Smet of Belgium is on the list and is well versed with both the BHR and the Delta Motion.  Vijay Bose of India is also on the list and is used to dealing with slight Indian figures.
Hope this info is of help.
Regards
HH

happyhopper

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2014, 04:13:56 PM »
Danny
Rajat's surgeon has reconsidered using a BHR and he presumably has a specific reason(s) for doing this.  Perhaps a question Rajat may consider asking his surgeon.
Perhaps you can find the specific note regarding McMinn's comments on the Delta Motion angles as I would be quite keen to read it.
Rajat is very slim and this puts him in a higher risk position of revision unless his surgeon is very experienced.  At least if Rajat has all the information regarding the risks, HE can then make a proper informed decision and decide if the risks are those that HE is happy to take, depending on his particular circumstances.
Regards
HH

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2014, 08:48:18 PM »
Hi Rajat

Welcome to hip talk.  I am sorry to hear you have hip problems.  I would also suggest getting some free opinions via email from several of the top surgeons, you can see them on my list:

http://www.surfacehippy.info/listofdoctors.php

Be sure to also ask them if they feel a Delta Motion would be a better option than a BHR or other THR.  The surgeons are normally very helpful and will give you their opinions.

If you are in India, I would be sure to email Dr. Bose and also Dr. DeSmet.  Both give free consultaitons via email.  If you are in the US, there are a handful of others that you can also email if you look at the list.

Get some input from the top surgeons that do both BHR and THR.  They will give you the best information since they do both.  Often surgeons that don't do Hip Resurfacing, don't like to suggest it. It is a very difficult surgery and many can't do it or had bad outcomes.  Stay with surgeons who are very very experienced.

Good Luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

hernanu

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2014, 10:31:20 PM »
Hi Rajat, my brother in law had a short stem implant (Corin Minihip). He has  been fine, but personally I would much prefer an HR procedure.

It's very good to do your research, a lot of good information here. Who is your doctor?
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Recent Posts

New to resurfacing wondering about surgeons by smartinny
Yesterday at 02:20:37 AM

Re: 9 years later and I think it's time for my other hip by imgetinold
September 17, 2020, 06:45:07 PM

Re: Need help finding a Surgeon by imgetinold
September 17, 2020, 06:40:18 PM

Re: 3 months post op with MAJOR problems by ahausheer
September 16, 2020, 05:18:14 AM

Advertisements

Donate Thru Pay Pal